Quantcast

Traveling to Hull and Newcastle England in April

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
As the title says, I will be traveling from the USofA to Hull and Newcastle England for work.

Are there good places to ride over there?
Is it worth bringing a bike?
Are there places to rent bikes?

I will not have a rental car, so everything will be by train or foot. Any monkeys from there want to meet up and have a beer?

Doug

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
There's some decent enough XC type routes in the Peak District which isn't that far from Hull I suppose, think you're going to struggle without a car and guidance though. No way you can hire a car? Not sure on anything close to Newcastle, I live in Carlisle which is over the West side. What type of stuff you looking at riding?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just trail riding I suppose. Say I rode in the UK and keep from getting fat just working and no play. Maybe I'll bring the running shoes.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
If I'm just after a quick XC blast to get the legs turning and stop myself from going insane I normally head North to one of the 7stanes trail centres with the XC hardtail, nothing taxing but they all have decent riding and most have a cafe and hire bikes on site.

I've never tried public transport to get to a riding spot but I can imagine it being a right pain in the arse unfortunately.

Glentress/Innerleithen isn't that far from Newcastle for a weekend trip, the riding up there is pretty diverse and both sites have an excellent supply of hire bikes, if you head up that way there's a few Monkeys on here who could show you some pretty awesome trails if you wanted to ride some steeper stuff.