Quantcast

Trek/Sam Hill????

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I have deep thoughts...

"I remember how my Great Uncle Jerry would sit on the porch and whittle all day long. Once he whittled me a toy boat out of a larger toy boat I had. It was almost as good as the first one, except now it had bumpy whittle marks all over it. And no paint, Because he had whittled off the paint." JH

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
When I was in whistler, I was blown away by how many bikes had 'pinkbike' decals on them.
Pinkbike is a major supporter of the local BC downhill race scene. They sponsor a few good racers, couple of local BC races and their news coverage and promotion of the local race scene is second to none.

Their forums are dominated by a younger demographic, but hey, the kids have to start somewhere don't they?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
There is a certain employee at Trek that has been pushing hard for a Atherton family addition to Trek bikes....he is adamant about it and feels they are the only marketable party in MTBing today.

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
There is a certain employee at Trek that has been pushing hard for a Atherton family addition to Trek bikes....he is adamant about it and feels they are the only marketable party in MTBing today.
Maybe in the womens.
I don't know if that applies to the men DH.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If this individual thinks they are they only marketable party in mtbing today, they clearing aren't thinking very hard. They're good no doubt, but there are lots of others too.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sorry...but anytime someone says "Athertons"...I say "Chiclets" :rofl:

I'll play along with the rumor mill. DirtMag said MASSIVE. Who is the most massive DH Pro? Peat, Rennie or Kovarik? Rennie right...that or Paul Bunyun.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
If this individual thinks they are they only marketable party in mtbing today, they clearing aren't thinking very hard. They're good no doubt, but there are lots of others too.
Anyone is marketable, everyone has a marketable story to tell, but this Atherton 'thing' has endless possibilities. Male market, Female market, families on bikes, sticking together, good role models, kids think its cool they are brother and sisters (my friggin 3yr old said she wants a brother and sister now after meeting them), young people can dig on their speed, talents, etc and old people (my parents) think it is so 'neat' that they all travel, train, race and win together.

The Atherton thing has legs like nothing we have ever seen before. If done correctly they 'could' be bigger than some snowboard guy.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
The entire family...its a marketing powerhouse.
That makes complete sense, it is a package deal that wins all over the world and they are siblings. Chances of that happening again are slim.

Hell I just got braces last week to mess up my teeth so I look like a brit.

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
The sad thing is there are more supid sam hill threads currently on here than pinkbike....for shame.
Funny you say that, because if you go into any WC photo gallery, it is the Sam Hill photos that get viewed the most.

There are obviously a lot of people who are interested. You're entitled to think these are "supid" [sic] threads. But don't expect everyone to share your view. Why even bother to read it if it's stupid?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anyone is marketable, everyone has a marketable story to tell, but this Atherton 'thing' has endless possibilities. Male market, Female market, families on bikes, sticking together, good role models, kids think its cool they are brother and sisters (my friggin 3yr old said she wants a brother and sister now after meeting them), young people can dig on their speed, talents, etc and old people (my parents) think it is so 'neat' that they all travel, train, race and win together.

The Atherton thing has legs like nothing we have ever seen before. If done correctly they 'could' be bigger than some snowboard guy.
you forgot incest!!

(sorry, but somebody had to say it)

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Funny you say that, because if you go into any WC photo gallery, it is the Sam Hill photos that get viewed the most.

There are obviously a lot of people who are interested. You're entitled to think these are "supid" [sic] threads. But don't expect everyone to share your view. Why even bother to read it if it's stupid?
I don't see any WC photo's in this thread...He's an amazing rider and awesome to watch. But does it really matter what company he goes to. It's not going to change how good of a rider he is.

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I don't see any WC photo's in this thread...He's an amazing rider and awesome to watch. But does it really matter what company he goes to. It's not going to change how good of a rider he is.
I did say "... go into a WC photo gallery..." just to illistrate the interest people have in Sam and his riding. And that would include the type of bike he rides. If people weren't interested, and keen to debate the pros and cons of every bike, there'd be no point to any of the marketing hype and sponsorships.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
sam hill + the new TRek Session DH = the best bike on the internet.

seriously though, that bike is dope and all it needs is a racing program to sell it to all the public. makes sense to me.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
sam hill + the new TRek Session DH = the best bike on the internet.

seriously though, that bike is dope and all it needs is a racing program to sell it to all the public. makes sense to me.
I think you hit the point of the whole thread. All though I'd find it strange (don't really know why) that Sam Hill would go onto a program like 23 degress, but what ever... this would be good news as I find it hard to picture Sam on a specialized haha

bent_steel

Monkey
Jun 19, 2007
South
I think dirt made it pretty clear there...

"Trek are taking this very seriously and that you can expect at least one MASSIVE pro rider on the team. Speculation as to who that rider will be will be setting the global forums on fire. When you think of Trek you think of Lance Armstrong. I'll leave it to you work out who the equivalent downhill racer could be!"

Only other person that would come to mind other than Sam would be Peaty, and I don't think he would leave SC.

Salty_T_Dog

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Logan, UT
I wanna try that new Session DH out they look pretty sweet even though i hate the rich smug people feel trek has to it from there Road Team!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
this is the most plausable Sam Hill roumor yet. Hill is the only rider i can think of after Steve Peat who has serious impact on bike sales in my part of the world. As soon as Peat left Orange and joined the syndicate ebay was a wash with 223/224s as all the fan boys switched to v10s. Its no coincidence that the Sunday is probably the most popular dh bike in the last 2 years or so and the fact Hill is riding one. Trek signing him would have and instant effect on bike sales and with Trek seriously upping there mountain bike offerings this year they need someone to help make that investment pay off.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Why dont you guys stop worrying so much about what Sam Hill is going to ride and work on your own damn riding. Getting the same bike he his is not going to make you him, going out and riding will....maybe...but not really.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Why dont you guys stop worrying so much about what Sam Hill is going to ride and work on your own damn riding. Getting the same bike he his is not going to make you him, going out and riding will....maybe...but not really.
because if I get what Sam Hill or Steve Peat are riding, I will be as good as them! duh! :lighten: