Quantcast

Trials bikes...

Dbuck

Chimp
Nov 11, 2003
Hi,
I don't post here much, I'm on the DH forum more. Anyway, I've started to dabble into the trials scene. I am starting to look for a trials bike, I've been doing it on a Enduro right now, but I'm affraid I'll destroy the back end, I've done it once it already. What would you guys reccommend to look for in a trials bike??? Any info would be great.
Thanks
Dbuck

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I started out on an old POS crack-n-fail that a friend had. It was a 14" frame so it was decent for trials. I eventually found a Planet X Zebdi frame for sale and moved all the parts off the crack-n-fail onto the Zebdi and have been upgrading parts as I could afford it. Pretty much any trials specific frame is going to be better than riding a mtn bike. The hard part is getting to test ride anything since there are hardly any shops that stock trials bikes. I really like my PX and know a lot of people that ride them. They are a good strong frame that will take the abuse of learning how to ride trials. You can find a decent amount of stuff for sale on the forums at biketrials.com, trials-online.com and observedtrials.net. There is always Ebay too, but there is not a lot out there.

Oh yeah --- you will destroy the back end of your Enduro. A friend of mine trashed the bearings on his FSR working on hopping on his rear wheel.

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
Austin
I second the notion for a Zebdi. I just got a Mark IV and I love it, although I'm just learning how to ride.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
what is a good set of wheels for a trials bike?

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
Austin
Rims:

Really doesnt matter for the front.

Rear - Rhyno Lite or an Alex DH32.

Hubs - whatever you can get although Kings are nice because they engage quickly. I have LX hubs on mine.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
The wheelset I just built for my PX are Rhyno Lite XL's with XT hubs. Just as soon as I can afford a nice rear hub I'm rebuilding the rear wheel though. I'm hoping to find a Hope, DT or Chris King to put on it.

The wider your rim and fatter your tire the lower pressure you can run. The only other consideration is to make sure that if you get a super fat rim (Alex DX32) that it will fit in between your brakes.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
The Zebdi is nice, the Pitbull is cheaper but heavier. I've had good luck with most everything PX I've had.

question for the trials people: What's with the obsession over king? Hadley has 108, King only has 72, but I suppose it is lighter...

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Originally posted by amateur

question for the trials people: What's with the obsession over king? Hadley has 108, King only has 72, but I suppose it is lighter...
I imagine part of it is reputation. I didn't know Hadley had so many engagement points. Will Hadley take the punishment of trials?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Originally posted by Morryjg
I imagine part of it is reputation. I didn't know Hadley had so many engagement points. Will Hadley take the punishment of trials?
Well, Hadley calls it their Trials engagement, and the hub on my dh bike has held up well enough, but I suppose that speaks more for bearings than the freehub itself, but hey, you can get a Ti freehub body!

dr_pepper

Chimp
Jan 30, 2003
I've never riden a zebdi, but the planet x frames i have riden are great. I have found that zoo has been making really nice frames that are cheap. I have ridden on a pirahna(earlier verson of the current boa) which felt awesome. Zoo is now making a frame called the pitbull that looks promising. The new echo's are good too. I have riden the urban and like that. But dont get an old echo cuz they a prone to crack. front wheel doesnt matter(whatever is cheap and light). The rear wheel is good to get something wide. right now I am riding a rhino-lite XL and its holing up. Alex DX32 are great cuz they are wide and super strong, but are kinda heavy. On the hubs, the hadly trials is nice, but it is still a 3 pawl design with lots of tiny engagement points. The chris king seems like a better deal, its pretty much as good at engagement but is lighter and cheaper. The titanium freehubs might not be a good idea unless your into replacing them often from the torque. steel is real. I am not a big fan of doing lx rear hubs. My friend who has one kills the freehub and axle pretty often. oh, and good locking brakes are key. hope this helps

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
the hadley hubs are nice but king hubs are just so darned dependable. the normal hadley hubs dont really have enough points to satisfy a trials rider. king hubs are light, durrable, and they are backed by amazing customer service. not to say hadley is not good but it's hard to compete with king when they have won over so many fans already.

if anyone is looking for zoo/echo stuff, there is a new way to get the goods. mike snyder (local colorado ripstoke rider) is going to be the western us echo/zoo go to guy now. if anyone wants some goods let me know i can put you in contact with him