Quantcast

Trials Frame Help

jay_2004

Chimp
Mar 17, 2004
Newmarket, Ontairo, Canada
Hey everybody.

Im thinking about building up an urban/trials bike in the future, and I wanted to go with an Azonic Steelhead frame, with a planet X rigid fork. I also may be looking into getting a longer stem...but not sure. Are there any complications I should know about for using that frame for trials. It is constructed out of 4130 cromoly, with horizontal dropouts. I am fairly new to trials, but want to get into it later on. Any suggestions or anything would be great. Thanks

Jay

bwagner

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Baltimore, Maryland
Hey dude,
The "Steelhead" is a GREAT bike, just not for trials. The geometry is kinda wrong (Slack head angle), and to be honest it's kinda heavy and long(stays). It'll probably make a good bike to do a lot of urban on with a little trials style riding thrown in here and there, but not too good a dedicated trials rig. Although, there was a time not too long ago when we all rolled around on converted STOCK mountain bikes, and True Stock frames were very few and far between. It's all about what you feel comfortable on, and just learning is fine for any bike pretty much. Besides, don't stress out too much, you'll change you're mind in a few months anyways after you develope some preferences of your own with experience.:D

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
my bike has pretty much the same geometry (identiti dr jekyll). and i use it for both hucking, and trials, i jsut swap out the wheels and fork and i'm good to go. i usually have it set to 16.5-16.75" chain stays depending on tire size. but it works well, sure its nothing compared to having 15" stays, but it works. so will the steal head. i'm sure it will work just fine, any frame can work for trials. it just may be a little harder to learn, but when you decide that you love trials and want to get a trials specific frame you will improve so much just with the frame swap. plus for 230 bucks for a brand new steel frame, i think that's a pretty sick deal. i'd say go for it and see what happens. it may not be the best but it's cheap and will work. oxygen77 is riding a P2 for trials, and it seems to work for him. i hope my info helps!

jay_2004

Chimp
Mar 17, 2004
Newmarket, Ontairo, Canada
Well guys, thanks for all the help. What you two have said really made me feel better on the frame choice now. I should be getting the frame in the near future...
As of now I have wanted to learn trials riding, but I do not have the bike. instead I have a 45 pound fs rig that Im hopping about on my back wheel. Anyways, thanks again for the help!