Quantcast

Tricks to shipping to Canada?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OK...so thinking of selling my bike to a Canuck. What hurdles do I face with shipping? Who's done this before? How do I need to go about it?

Aren't you supposed to write "return for warranty" or "No value" or something on the box?

Somebody said to ship it dirty?

Also, what about the fees or stuff at the border?? It's been a long time since I read about the do's and dont's???? :help:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I too, would like the answers to these questions. :) I got nailed with border fees last time I bought sumthin from the you ess of eh. :(

Bizutch, you can just ship your bike to me....Ill make sure to hand deliver it to the buyer...promise! :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I have shipped to Canada 3 times.
1. I drove the bike across the border. I was in VT, buyer was in Quebec. They asked me what the bike was worth and forced me to pay duties on that value. They said that if I returned with the bike that I would get my money back. I ended paying ~$150+ USD in taxes.
2. I was trading brakes with a monkey in BC. He got hit with like $40USD in duties. I shipped the brakes via UPS at Staples. Staples had screwed up by not telling me about the duties. I knew that they screwed up at the time and didn't say anything. I showed them the paperwork and they gave me the money, which I then sent to the buyer.
3. Sold a Boxxer crown to a monkey in Quebec. He asked that I ship it USPS. It weighed less than 4 lbs, which is the cut-off point for "Large" vs. "Small" packages. I said it was a gift worth $50 ana paid no duties.

It seems that USPS is the way to go. Declaring the value at lower than what it is may reduce duties, but can also screw you if something goes wrong.

When I called the USPS in my town, they were very helpful. I would go to them for help. Remember that they do not stand to earn any money off of a sale to Canada. It is only the Canadians collecting the duties. Therefore, it is resonable to expect a friendly/helpful reply. Namely they want to keep their American custommers happy. Or something like that. I mean no disrespect to my Canadian brothers and sisters.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Take payment for bike and shipping before you send the bike. Tell the buyer that he/she's responsible for all duties, which are paid directly to customs when the bike is delivered/picked up. Include a bill of sale stating used bike and a devalued but reasonable price to minimize duties due and speed processing. Game over.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
well...I ship a lot of items and it's mostly USA and Canada. It has been my experience to claim FULL value just in case something happens you're covered by insurance. I make sure to fill out all the proper forms and I don't lie. It can come back to bit you in the arse if you're not careful. I look at this this way. I'm not the canadian citizen (yet) buying items from out of country...it's just the price you pay for doing so....oh and I use USPS...I have an account with them and so far in over a year not a single problem....D

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ive always shipped items ive sold to canada as a Gift, no value. If you do this the buyer never gets fees. Just warn him that once you ship it, if something happens its not your fault, and if he doesnt want to take the risk (ive never had something happen) then tell him he will get a fee

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You will ALWAYS take a risk shipping USPS.

If they lose/break something, you're phucked. You can't really insure much by way of USPS.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ViolentVolante said:
Ive always shipped items ive sold to canada as a Gift, no value. If you do this the buyer never gets fees. Just warn him that once you ship it, if something happens its not your fault, and if he doesnt want to take the risk (ive never had something happen) then tell him he will get a fee
I've heard of doing it this way and by putting a birthday card in it adn writing it all over it.

Also have heard to dirty it up a bit, maike it look F'ed up and write "warranty materials:no value" on it. I think Balfa was having US bike shops do that... :confused:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
dan-o said:
Take payment for bike and shipping before you send the bike. Tell the buyer that he/she's responsible for all duties, which are paid directly to customs when the bike is delivered/picked up. Include a bill of sale stating used bike and a devalued but reasonable price to minimize duties due and speed processing. Game over.
That is pretty much it. The receiver is the one who ultimately ends up liable for the duties.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ok, kid from Canada ( g6v 5w3 ) wants to buy a fork from me. shoud i just say, "sure, as long as you either pay for duties, or take responsibility for the fork after it leaves my hands." ?