Quantcast

trigger safeties

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
what's the point?

not that i mind. if you need the weapon, you need it 5 minutes ago.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You mean like the Glock? It's so that pressure from something on the side, perhaps encountered during holstering or handling under adverse circumstances, can't engage the trigger. You have to insert something (hopefully the appropriate finger) into the trigger guard and pull it back.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
What Mike said. Also, while a firearm may be called "drop safe", that is, the firing pin will not move by itself within the gun, it is possible for the momentum of a gun drop to transfer to the trigger, causing it to fire. A trigger safety prevents this.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
JBP, it'd have to be a one-in-a-million fall for something to enter a trigger guard as a pistol falls, but it's possible, I suppose--the fact is that a weapon is supposed to operate when pressure is placed on the trigger.

However, you can take a quality modern semiauto (say, a SIG), cock it, and smack the hammer with a, er, hammer (or throw it on the ground), and it won't go off due to multiple redundant safety features. But if you pull the trigger, it's going bang.

was it a Lorcin?
No. It was a S&W 659, which has a nice big chunk of stainless between the hammer and the firing pin when decocked and it didn't discharge - just the idea scared me.

I shouldn't be losing control of my weapon, but it happens.

MikeD - Based on the number of derailleurs I have lost due to sticks on trails, I'd guess that the odds of one poking a trigger are somewhat greater than one in a million, but I understand your point.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Your derailleur is moving forward. I'd bet the chances of it snagging a stick in the cage are somewhat less if you drop one from chest height.

Like I said, they're designed to go bang when the trigger is pressed. You could toss a manual external safety on there, but that has its own liabilities, depending on the gun and anticipated use.