Quantcast

Troy Lee D2 COMPOSITE HELMET opinions

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
I'm in dire need of a new helmet and I just got a bonus from work so I want to splurge on a nice one. My problem is that not many helmets fit my alien shaped head. :rolleyes: My current helmet is a Prymo. Fits fine but I had to make some adjustments to the styrofoam inside by taking a billard ball and mashing it around a bit. Does anybody who has one of these and has a funny shaped head have problems with fit of the Troy Lee. I'd like to get it at Jensonusa. Buying helmets online is like buying shoes. I don't want to go through the hassel of returing one if it doesn't fit my melon. Thanks.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by steve
I'm in dire need of a new helmet and I just got a bonus from work so I want to splurge on a nice one. My problem is that not many helmets fit my alien shaped head. :rolleyes: My current helmet is a Prymo. Fits fine but I had to make some adjustments to the styrofoam inside by taking a billard ball and mashing it around a bit. Does anybody who has one of these and has a funny shaped head have problems with fit of the Troy Lee. I'd like to get it at Jensonusa. Buying helmets online is like buying shoes. I don't want to go through the hassel of returing one if it doesn't fit my melon. Thanks.

Hey Steve...
Rob was about to get a Troy-lee, but was talked out of it by Charlie.
They are LIGHT, but they really offen no more protection than the helmet you already have.
Now, I already have that Cratoni (about 500grams) that I can use for light trailriding, but for N*, I'm gonna gets me an MX helmet.
I was looking at this place over in Oakland called... (lemme get the name and then I'll post it on down)...

Personally, I'm looking at this JHC helmet.

It's about $200 and it is 2.9lbs. An Azonic ot Bell etc. is about 2.3

Sheet... half pound and I get FULL DOT protection?
I'm gonna do that!!
Plus, this is an on-line place, so they have good prices, but it is located over on 26th (near Lake Merrit) so you can try them on!!

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
That shop is pretty close to my new house. I will check those out. I was looking into a mx helmet but the ones I tried on were SO heavy, especially for my little pencil neck. I would have looked like I was one of those damn bobble-head things in the back of the car window. Maybe I'll head down the that Cycle-World store or whatever it's called, near pac-bell park today at lunch and check them out. You wanna go?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by steve
That shop is pretty close to my new house. I will check those out. I was looking into a mx helmet but the ones I tried on were SO heavy, especially for my little pencil neck. I would have looked like I was one of those damn bobble-head things in the back of the car window. Maybe I'll head down the that Cycle-World store or whatever it's called, near pac-bell park today at lunch and check them out. You wanna go?
What time?

I'm free most of the day.
Gimme a call.
765-2423

This place?

SF Cycle Gear #5
700 2nd St
San Francisco, CA 94107
(415) 546-0212

myke

Chimp
Nov 16, 2001
MA
No offense but mashing the foam in your helmet is not a good idea. You pretty much rendered it useless. I know blahblahblah, but I sell ppl helmets all day (we sell insane amounts of helmets) and when ppl bring old helmets in and buy new ones I break the old one. You would be suprised how easy they rip apart if they are already damaged. It also will not take the shock of a fall if its already mashed, because thats what it does, gets crushed to stop the impact.

Ok helmet rant over....seriously dont mess around with your head. And you might want to check out something snell tested. They test for higher impact energy. Plus its actually tested, DOT helmets are not tested!
http://www.smf.org/stds.html <--helmet testing info
http://www.smf.org/testing.html
http://www.smf.org/cert.html <--lists of certified helmets

wilde man

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
santa cruz,CA
If your looking for a dh only helmet i.e. only for shuttle runs or lift day's you can't go wrong with a top of the line shoei or arai. As far as fit goes i can't remember which one but one fits narrow heads and the other is good for more round ones,stop by a moto shop and try both to see what fits best.You cannot get better protection for your mellon,i advise from expierience,70mph crash on street bike kncked out and totaled Doohan $550 arai but no brain damage,they're worth every penny and then some.

steve

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
Ghetto Hell
I totally agree with you guys. I hated doing it but the Pryme gave me no choice. I always felt funny about it but it's what I had to do at the time in order for my pumpkin head to fit.

Good news though, I just picked myself up a brand new Answer M8 for 145 bucks! I tried one on and it fit like a glove. Sooo comfortable and I'm very happy with it. It's the 2001 model so the graphics are sweet!

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
for something that could be destroyed in one short instance. I just could not see laying that kind of money out. For the price I could crash and replace my Bell 3 or 4 times.

Just my opinion.
mtnbikej