Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was going to put this in the "Religious psychosis" thread, but it seems more appropriate here in light of Mr. Grahams bullshitery.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/world/christians-educated-religious-minorities-pew.html?_r=0
It's the jews.

Jews in the United States were more than twice as likely as Christians to have a postsecondary degree, and Hindus were almost three times as likely, Pew said. Buddhists, Muslims and those who said they were religiously unaffiliated were also more likely to have a college degree than those who identified themselves as Christians.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I was going to put this in the "Religious psychosis" thread, but it seems more appropriate here in light of Mr. Grahams bullshitery.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/world/christians-educated-religious-minorities-pew.html?_r=0
Back when I was still blinded by the light and belonged to a Christian youth group, one of their fears was higher education because college would make you not believe in God. They were not very encouraging of education, resentful actually.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Back when I was still blinded by the light and belonged to a Christian youth group, one of their fears was higher education because college would make you not believe in God. They were not very encouraging of education, resentful actually.
That sure sounds familiar. Also, I believe it's where you picked up teh ghey, at least according to my youth group leaders.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
IMO, this is one of the worst things about kids in organized religion.

The adults KNOW that it requires brainwashing. :disgust1:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got to spend my Sundays as a kid mucking around in the woods by myself. So glad I wasn't locked up in a room and force fed midievile superstitions.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That sure sounds familiar. Also, I believe it's where you picked up teh ghey, at least according to my youth group leaders.
IMO, this is one of the worst things about kids in organized religion.

The adults KNOW that it requires brainwashing. :disgust1:

When I got accepted to a very prestigious, private, Catholic high school I told the youth director that I couldn't come to as many meetings because I would have an average of 3.5 hours of homework every night. Dude did not like that at all.

Fast forward to summer after junior year when my family had to move back to NC. The day we were loading up the moving van the youth group was having a pool party down the street. No one bothered to come down, so I walked down to say goodbye. They had always thrown a going away party for any member who had to move, so I confronted the director about it. He told me that I didn't get a going away party because I quit them. All that over homework and an education.

For a group of people who proclaim the virtues of acceptance and forgiveness they are some of the most judgmental and resentful folk you could ever meet. And for all the controversy that follows the Catholic Church I can honestly say that Catholics are a lot more laid back compared to Christians. The school I went to did wonders for me and saved me from a horrible future. It just isn't possible to say in words how influential that school was for me.

To this day when I hear someone call themselves a "good Christian" I know immediately not to trust them. This isn't to say all are bad, but the ones who feel compelled to tell you how good they are, probably aren't.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I got accepted to a very prestigious, private, Catholic high school I told the youth director that I couldn't come to as many meetings because I would have an average of 3.5 hours of homework every night. Dude did not like that at all.

Fast forward to summer after junior year when my family had to move bak to NC. The day we were loading up the moving van the youth group was having a pool party down the street. No one bothered to come down, so I walked down to day goodbye. They had always thrown a going away party for any member who had to move, so I confronted the director about it. He told me that I didn't get a going away party because I quit them. All that over homework and an education.

For a group of people who proclaim the virtues of acceptance and forgiveness they are some of the most judgmental and resentful folk you could ever meet. And for all the controversy that follows the Catholic Church I can honestly say that Catholics are a lot more laid back compared to Christians. The school I went to did wonders for me and saved me from a horrible future. It just isn't possible to say in words how influential that school was for me.

To this day when I hear someone call themselves a "good Christian" I know immediately not to trust them. This isn't to say all are bad, but the ones who feel compelled to tell you how good they are, probably aren't.
My brother's best friend growing up refused to go to his wedding because his wife is Hindu.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Finally a government by and for the people:

The 17 people who US president-elect Donald Trump has selected for his cabinet or for posts with cabinet rank have well over $9.5 billion in combined wealth, with several positions still unfilled. This collection of wealth is greater than that of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined—over one third of the 126 million households total in the US.

http://qz.com/862412/trumps-16-cabinet-level-picks-have-more-money-than-a-third-of-american-households-combined/

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

The 17 people who US president-elect Donald Trump has selected for his cabinet or for posts with cabinet rank have well over $9.5 billion in combined wealth, with several positions still unfilled. This collection of wealth is greater than that of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined—over one third of the 126 million households total in the US.

http://qz.com/862412/trumps-16-cabinet-level-picks-have-more-money-than-a-third-of-american-households-combined/
Cash > Education

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
[episcopal] preacher's kid here...athiest since i can remember here...at least teh episcopals are relatively liberal (at least in 'murica and compared to most other mainstream religions). i guess i can be proud that my dad both led the movement for them to be inclusive (inclusive language, accepting of women priests, accepting of all sexual preferences, marriage for all, etc) and that he doesn't seem to have a problem with me not being religious.

cool story over.

back to trumpf jackassary.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

...yup, not like them elitists that normally run things, no sir, not at all...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

Draining the swamp he is...

And then refilling it with even more parasitic creatures than before!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
[episcopal] preacher's kid here...athiest since i can remember here...at least teh episcopals are relatively liberal (at least in 'murica and compared to most other mainstream religions). i guess i can be proud that my dad both led the movement for them to be inclusive (inclusive language, accepting of women priests, accepting of all sexual preferences, marriage for all, etc) and that he doesn't seem to have a problem with me not being religious.

cool story over.

back to trumpf jackassary.
Confessional:
Presby PK here. Luckily I never got teh brainwashing stuff...dad got kicked out of one church for organizing migrant farm workers (potato farm owner was a major donor to church), then went on to invite MLK to his church in south Jerz, thereby splitting the congregation in two..oops. He was pretty traditional in that Jesus would have hung out with the people who were marginalized. He only got mad at me when I started racing BMX on Sundays. I'm loosely involved in a church that now follows the same leads - devoted in writing to closing the gap between the rich and poor. We're pretty much a group of old professors, trannies, refugees from Cameroon, homeless people and retired gay men...it's a miracle we get anything done!