Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
at the risk of taking an unpopular side here ... most of the firearms available through that program we're being used all over the country prior to the program, the largest differentiator being the vehicles made available, and the benefit was to supply local law enforcement with utilities at little to no cost, vs being acquired through LEO budgets better spent on payroll and training.

Every local PD would be using the same weapons without the program, they'd just be paying for them.

An unfortunate side effect of decades of the military industrial complex.

(ducks and covers)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
at the risk of taking an unpopular side here ... most of the firearms available through that program we're being used all over the country prior to the program, the largest differentiator being the vehicles made available, and the benefit was to supply local law enforcement with utilities at little to no cost, vs being acquired through LEO budgets better spent on payroll and training.

Every local PD would be using the same weapons without the program, they'd just be paying for them.

(ducks and covers)
including grenade launchers? because that was specifically mentioned in the article.

i wonder why the 2nd amendment crew never complains about not being able to get grenades.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

(ducks and covers)
Lets review:

1. Trump tells cops don't worry about roughing people up.

2. Pardons sheriff who tortures people

3. DOJ says please take these military weapons/tools

4. Trump promotes another sheriff who tortures people on Twittter

Do you want the Gestapo? Because this is how you get the Gestapo. Near as I can tell this seems to be Trumps aim. He's taken great pains to be buddy-buddy with the law enforcement community. There needs to be a distinct line between cops and the military. Cops with all the trappings of the military aren't cops, they are an occupying force. We already have an organization for that, it's called the national guard.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Lets review:

1. Trump tells cops don't worry about roughing people up.

2. Pardons sheriff who tortures people

3. DOJ says please take these military weapons/tools

4. Trump promotes another sheriff who tortures people on Twittter

Do you want the Gestapo? Because this is how you get the Gestapo. Near as I can tell this seems to be Trumps aim. He's taken great pains to be buddy-buddy with the law enforcement community. There needs to be a distinct line between cops and the military. Cops with all the trappings of the military aren't cops, they are an occupying force. We already have an organization for that, it's called the national guard.
between this and all the pro-confederacy horseshit, minorities are fucked.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
including grenade launchers? because that was specifically mentioned in the article.
Possibly, yes?
Cops (SWAT) use grenade launchers to fire smoke and flash grenades. The tool is the same, the round is different.
You have to admit, that video with moody ominus soundtrack was a bit overdramatic.

Lets review:
I don't disagree. My only point was the focus on this program is a bit misplaced. Law enforcement has and has had those weapons for as long as I've been around. Also, I don't feel that cops are the enemy. Those who do might see it differently than I do.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Possibly, yes?
Cops (SWAT) use grenade launchers to fire smoke and flash grenades. The tool is the same, the round is different.
You have to admit, that video with moody ominus soundtrack was a bit overdramatic.

I don't disagree. My only point was the focus on this program is a bit misplaced. Law enforcement has and has had those weapons for as long as I've been around. Also, I don't feel that cops are the enemy. Those who do might see it differently than I do.
i think it's partially less that they've had them, but now those who comprise the police force are more trigger happy to pull them out and use them.

also worth noting on this subject:

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/the-fbi-has-quietly-investigated-white-supremacist-infiltration-of-law-enforcement/

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My only point was the focus on this program is a bit misplaced.
You're right. It's a good starting point though.

i think it's partially less that they've had them, but now those who comprise the police force are more trigger happy to pull them out and use them.
This guy definitely needs access to a grenade launcher and/or a fully automatic weapon.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

i wonder why the 2nd amendment crew never complains about not being able to get grenades.
I complain about not being able to get grenades. I'd love to toss one over the neighbors fence so i could finally have some peace and quiet.

Kids need to learn about Freedom at a young age.

http://www.politifact.com/new-hampshire/statements/2014/aug/20/john-oliver/right-there-application/

Gotta protect the Pumpkin festivals too. Terrorists hate pumpkins.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am torn on this issue.

The militarization of law enforcement simply screams for stricter hiring standards and a national standard for training and certifying Cops. It also begs us to do a better job of vetting the LE leadership, to ensure that morons like Clark and Arpaio do not rise to leadership positions in departments that maintain such equipment. Too many badge wearers are simply small town bullies who had a badge thrown at them by their cousin the mayor, and they are itching to get their inbred little hands on this type of hardware.

However, we must remember that they are fortunately in the minority, and most Cops are well meaning and simply want to do their jobs the best way they can, and go home at the end of the shift.

We must do a better job of learning from law enforcement communities in other countries. Also, LE and the national intelligence apparatus must be intertwined and be better at sharing information about true bad actors in the crowds.

As the threat to the general public and the Police evolves, so must the tactics and equipment of the good guys. With the 2d Amendment crowd getting bolder and louder by the day, and anti government types among them AND among the anti-fa crowd doing the same, the treat spectrum faced by Cops is varied and extremely dangerous. Burying Cops is no fun, nor is burying those whom they could not adequately protect because they were not properly equipped.

Also, I would be remiss if I did not mention the terror threat spectrum of the asymmetrical battlespace that all Cops face in todays world. Terrorist tactics have evolved at light speed over the past decade, yet many PDs are still using gear from the 80s or even earlier while they are increainglly faced with the threat of battle hardened and experienced soldiers, be they jihadists or disgruntled "Patriots" on the streets of their cities.

So yeah, anyway. tRump sucks either way.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I complain about not being able to get grenades. I'd love to toss one over the neighbors fence so i could finally have some peace and quiet.
Jesus, and how. The woman behind us with her smokers cough and total inability to communicate with anybody, about anything, at less than A VOLUME USED TO COMMUNICATE ON A CARRIER DECK makes me wish I had one.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am torn on this issue.

The militarization of law enforcement simply screams for stricter hiring standards and a national standard for training and certifying Cops. It also begs us to do a better job of vetting the LE leadership, to ensure that morons like Clark and Arpaio do not rise to leadership positions in departments that maintain such equipment. Too many badge wearers are simply small town bullies who had a badge thrown at them by their cousin the mayor, and they are itching to get their inbred little hands on this type of hardware.

However, we must remember that they are fortunately in the minority, and most Cops are well meaning and simply want to do their jobs the best way they can, and go home at the end of the shift.

We must do a better job of learning from law enforcement communities in other countries. Also, LE and the national intelligence apparatus must be intertwined and be better at sharing information about true bad actors in the crowds.

As the threat to the general public and the Police evolves, so must the tactics and equipment of the good guys. With the 2d Amendment crowd getting bolder and louder by the day, and anti government types among them AND among the anti-fa crowd doing the same, the treat spectrum faced by Cops is varied and extremely dangerous. Burying Cops is no fun, nor is burying those whom they could not adequately protect because they were not properly equipped.

Also, I would be remiss if I did not mention the terror threat spectrum of the asymmetrical battlespace that all Cops face in todays world. Terrorist tactics have evolved at light speed over the past decade, yet many PDs are still using gear from the 80s or even earlier while they are increainglly faced with the threat of battle hardened and experienced soldiers, be they jihadists or disgruntled "Patriots" on the streets of their cities.

So yeah, anyway. tRump sucks either way.
TLDR

However, when such equipment is needed, isn't that what the national guard is for? And don't they meet the additional training and vetting you describe?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I am torn on this issue.

They may be a minority but the majority blatantly support and condone their behavior through both silence and inaction.
And as they have chosen that path, should be considered to be in the same boat as your vile minority.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
They may be a minority but the majority blatantly support and condone their behavior through both silence and inaction.
And as they have chosen that path, should be considered to be in the same boat as your vile minority.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
TLDR

However, when such equipment is needed, isn't that what the national guard is for? And don't they meet the additional training and vetting you describe?
No, that is not necessarily the function of the National Guard. The mission of teh Guard is to maintain properly trained and equipped units, available for prompt mobilization for war, national emergency, or as needed. Response times for activations are not short enough to meet rapidly evolving situations that erupt on the streets, and there are very often conflicts between local and state government with regards to deployment of Guard units, rules of engagement, and even financial concerns. Also, the needed/requested assets may not even be in the state in need.

And the Guard vets even less than your average podunk PD. Remember, we are dealing with military recruiters to fill the ranks of the Guard, and they are just about the lowest form of life around. Not to mention how training has suffered during the GWOT.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Douchebag support by the average Cop is not as great as you think, you would be surprised how many are called out. I can assure you that the % is not unlike the comparison of Joe Average Muslim vs. Joe Extremist Muslim...do you condemn all Muslims (Or Xtians...) for the acts of a relative few?