Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what racism is with many people. Many people, who are racist, think that racism is "hating" another race, while it is also, and more commonly, unconscious biases that make people act a certain way towards certain races that isn't "equal" to how they act towards other races. I know I'm racist, I can't deny that I have biases, but I'm aware of this and I try to overcome it/not let it affect me. I think anyone claiming that they do not "I'm the least racist person" is full of shit, and that's the real problem, the lack of understanding of what the problem is. Police officer shoots a black man that gets out of his car at a traffic stop, while they "trust" a white person to do the same thing and don't immediately shoot them. The police officer is probably not doing this because they "hate" black people, they are doing it because they are conditioned to act this way and in many cases, they don't even realize the bias and that they treat people of different races differently, according to their race.
This. "I'm not paying monthly dues to the klan." = "I'm not racist", I'm pretty sure is what a lot of clearly bigoted people think.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what racism is with many people. Many people, who are racist, think that racism is "hating" another race, while it is also, and more commonly, unconscious biases that make people act a certain way towards certain races that isn't "equal" to how they act towards other races. I know I'm racist, I can't deny that I have biases, but I'm aware of this and I try to overcome it/not let it affect me. I think anyone claiming that they do not "I'm the least racist person" is full of shit, and that's the real problem, the lack of understanding of what the problem is. Police officer shoots a black man that gets out of his car at a traffic stop, while they "trust" a white person to do the same thing and don't immediately shoot them. The police officer is probably not doing this because they "hate" black people, they are doing it because they are conditioned to act this way and in many cases, they don't even realize the bias and that they treat people of different races differently, according to their race.
What you are referring to is called Passive Racism.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A high i.q means nothing in the big picture.
Yes, but a low IQ, an inflated sense of own's own importance, and a cadre of boot-lickers is dangerous when the idiot in question is in a position of power.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Trump seems barely literate from all reports. 1 page summaries with bullet points and pictures...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yes, but a low IQ, an inflated sense of own's own importance, and a cadre of boot-lickers is dangerous when the idiot in question is in a position of power.
Unfortunately that's exactly the customer I deal with...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There is nothing more dangerous than an individual in power who thinks they are much smarter than they actually are. It doesn't really matter if they have an IQ of 90 and think they are a 120, or someone who has an IQ of 130 and thinks they are off the charts.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There is nothing more dangerous than an individual in power who thinks they are much smarter than they actually are. It doesn't really matter if they have an IQ of 90 and think they are a 120, or someone who has an IQ of 130 and thinks they are off the charts.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
If I learned one truth in 25+ years of military service, this is it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I learned one truth in 25+ years of military service, this is it.
Every dangerous person I have ever worked with fit this description. Had a boss who was a pretty sharp guy, but he thought he was a genius. Spent most of my time fixing the path of destruction he left in his wake. Would have been much happier working for someone with less intellect but was aware of their limitations.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Every dangerous person I have ever worked with fit this description.
Jesus, yes. They occur at fairly regular intervals here.

Several years back we had a guy who regularly would not pull power off fancy/expensive electrical things when working on them because he thought if he worked quick enough it didn't matter. He thought he was faster than electricity. You could not tell this guy, or instruct him, in anything, because he was the smartest motherfucker he knew and he would let you know.

Thankfully, he is gone now, but he is talked about routinely. We bring him up as a warning, typically to new kids.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Several years back we had a guy who regularly would not pull power off fancy/expensive electrical things when working on them because he thought if he worked quick enough it didn't matter. He thought he was faster than electricity. You could not tell this guy, or instruct him, in anything, because he was the smartest motherfucker he knew and he would let you know.

Thankfully, he is gone now, but he is talked about routinely. We bring him up as a warning, typically to new kids.
he ded?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I am no brain scientist but I would guess this is often tied to some deep seated insecurities of which the conscious minds overcompensates with a bloated ego.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
He sure tried while he was here, but not that I'm aware of. Last I heard he was with a competitor in a large southern Arizona city.

I am no brain scientist but I would guess this is often tied to some deep seated insecurities of which the conscious minds overcompensates with a bloated ego.
The guy had many issue, of which, I suspect this was one.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Foreshadowing of Kid Rock vs. Eminem* election in 2020?

And any fan of mine who's a supporter of his I'm drawing in the sand a line You either for or against And if you can't decide Who you like more and you're split On who you should stand beside I'll do it for you with this
_!_ F*ck you!"

*Would prefer Chuck D

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
mo·ron
ˈmôrˌän
noun informal
noun: moron; plural noun: morons
a stupid person.
synonyms: fool, idiot, ass, blockhead, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, imbecile, cretin, dullard, simpleton, clod; informalnitwit, halfwit, dope, ninny, nincompoop, chump, dimwit, dingbat, dipstick, goober, coot, goon, dumbo, dummy, ditz, dumdum, fathead, numbskull, numbnuts, dunderhead, thickhead, airhead, butthead, flake, lamer, lamebrain, zombie, nerd, peabrain, birdbrain, scissorbill, jughead, mouth-breather, jerk, donkey, twit, goat, dork, twerp, hoser, schmuck, bozo, boob, turkey, schlep, chowderhead, dumbhead, goofball, goof, goofus, galoot, lummox, knuckle-dragger, klutz, putz, schlemiel, sap, meatball, dumb cluck, mook