Quantcast

Tryin to squeeze some "bike" into this "business" trip

hardtales

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Tega Cay, SC
So, I'm gonna be working at Microsoft in Redmond Mon–Thu next week, & flying home mid-day Friday. Trying to figure out if I can squeeze in a Thurs eve and/or Fri am bike ride...

Duthie Hill and the I-5 Collonnade seem to be the obvious destinations. But, if there's any other recommendations, or perhaps a group ride that happens to coincide with those dates, I'm open to ideas.

I think the trick will be transportation. I'm not gonna have a rental car... I'm stuck with hotel shuttles. What's the deal with public transpo? Can I bring a bike on a bus? Is there a bus from Microsoft to Seattle? I'm trying to keep it low budget, so if I blow ~$100 on a rental bike, I'm not sure I wanna be shelling out for 30-minute cab rides and such...

So, I know I have a lot of constraints... think it's doable? Anything else I should consider?

THX!

hardtales

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Tega Cay, SC
Should I assume from the lack of replies that this is a bad idea? Too complicated?

I can't come this far northwest and leave without riding! arrgh. I need ideas. Help a visitor out. I live in the south now... must. have. hospitality!

;)

Jul 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
try demo'ing a bike from http://www.velocevelo.com/ in issaquah and then ride up to duthie (like a man) and back to the shop. Buses run like clockwork but doubt you can mount a FR/DH bike on the front rack. Maybe so.
buses aren't an issue for bikes, they all have racks on the front, and they'll all fit your average AM/FR bike. maybe not if you rock 3.0" wide tires but, well.. any normal 2.5" or less will fit.

i dunno about your hotel shuttle, it might not have a bike rack, but it's worth asking. and microsoft is pretty much one of the biggest employers around here, so 1) you'll probably find MTBers who work at MS who would be willing to show you around some trails, and 2) there will be loads of bus's in and out of MS.

use google maps bus directions for figuring out where the buses will take you, and how long it will take. also, the light-rail is pretty bike friendly, they have hooks to hang the bike from, or there is generally room to stand with your bike.

Last edited: