Quantcast

Trying to decide between two Cyclo's. Gravity Zilla vs. Zilla XX

Discussion in 'Road & Cyclocross' started by Emerett, May 21, 2012.

1. Emerett

Emerett Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    So after a season off from riding, I have moved 3 times and no longer own any bikes. The riding season is pretty short here in montana and I would like to get a bike asap. I'm thinking a Cyclocross would be better here compared to a standard road bike due to the horrible state of roads here.

My spending limit is around $800 unless I wait a month (which I don't want to do). I've been looking at these two guys (Bikes Directs Gravity Zilla and Zilla XX) and am curious if the XX is worth the extra $300? Or would the standard Zilla be ok for daily communiting and 1-2 hours a day of training for next season?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/zilla_xx.htm ($800)

or

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/zilla.htm ($500)

Thanks

Also, could there be a production bicycle in this price range I am overlooking?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. maddog17

maddog17 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 62
    looks like only a difference in components. if you're only using it for a commuter then i'd go with the cheaper bike

3. Sandwich

Sandwich just shake your rump
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    50 / 434
    did you get one of these brah? i'm thinking of getting the frame and turning into a kid hauler.

4. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    295 / 2,343
    i would say its worth the extra $300 - seems like better brakes and drivetrain.

i too went with a CX bike over a road bike. Here in southeast PA it's more versatile for me. I can throw road tires on it in the summer when i don't need knobby cross tires (which I use in the winter). ideally i'm looking to pick up a second wheelset so its quicker and easier to swap between road and cx modes.

sandwich, maybe it's just me but i've found a cross bike to be a slightly less aggressive body position (compared to a road bike, not sure about a touring bike), so that may be a bit more suitable as a kid hauler in the long run.

5. Sandwich

Sandwich just shake your rump
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    50 / 434
    I think you're right on about the cx bike. Basically, I can get one of these frames for about two hundo, so if I upgrade and swap some parts around, I'll have it complete for nearly zero dollars....but I don't know if the frame sucks.

How's the kid doing?

6. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    295 / 2,343
    kid's good. only have to wake up for 1 night time feeding