Quantcast

Tubeless, will I die?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Considering going tubeless on the road bike, and Mavic Ksyrium SLs, which should be roughly perfect for it since they have a totally sealed tire-bed. Question is, if I use regular tires, rather than tubeless specific ones, will I have issues? I've done it on an MTB, but MTB tires have a whole lot more rubber in the bead, and a much rounder profile.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Considering going tubeless on the road bike, and Mavic Ksyrium SLs, which should be roughly perfect for it since they have a totally sealed tire-bed. Question is, if I use regular tires, rather than tubeless specific ones, will I have issues? I've done it on an MTB, but MTB tires have a whole lot more rubber in the bead, and a much rounder profile.
The mechanic I talked to about that said no way, because of the high pressure. I haven't tried it myself, tubeless (ready) road tires are still stupidly expensive. Give it a try and report. Will follow, maybe. :D

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'm running tubeless on my gravel grinder, 40mm wide tires. It's cool, but not as cool as tubeless mtb. The higher pressures and lower volume work against quick sealing holes, leading to flat tires that need to be pumped back up. It's still better than running tubes, I think.

Also, I had a non tubeless tire in the rear and I destroyed it quickly, tearing sidewalls and ripping out tread. May have just been the tire but the tubeless ready tire I bought to replace it is much burlier.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
go tubular and learn to glue
That doesn't solve my puncture problem, tubeless has almost entirely solved it on the MTB. Pick up a thorn, loose a little special sauce, keep rolling.

Threw a set of Continental's cheapest $13 tires on and actually having a lot of luck with them thus far, will wait on sketchy tubeless experimentation for now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That doesn't solve my puncture problem, tubeless has almost entirely solved it on the MTB. Pick up a thorn, loose a little special sauce, keep rolling.

Threw a set of Continental's cheapest $13 tires on and actually having a lot of luck with them thus far, will wait on sketchy tubeless experimentation for now.
A small amount of your favorite sealant in a lightweight tube has always worked well for me.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Inject sealant into tubulars somehow...? Guess you'd need a syringe and let the hole self-seal, unless there's some valve arrangement other than Presta, which I've never seen.

And putting a hole in a high-pressure tire seems like a very poor idea to me. Maybe on the glue side of the tubular?

Hrm.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Tubeless did, in fact, kill him. I just wonder how it did it from inside his colon.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
No, I'm still a bit of wuss, and afraid to guinea pig it, can't find any definitive answer online. I'm having more road bike flats than ever, so i'm ignoring the RB and just riding my MTB instead. I really need to sort this out soon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No, I'm still a bit of wuss, and afraid to guinea pig it, can't find any definitive answer online. I'm having more road bike flats than ever, so i'm ignoring the RB and just riding my MTB instead. I really need to sort this out soon.
A small amount of your favorite sealant in a lightweight tube has always worked well for me.
Just a reminder that a cheap, simple, effective, non death inducing solution has been proposed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Last 3 flats have been due to the valve stem ripping out, which has me completely baffled.

Though I'll probably shoot some Stans in the next tube anyway, it's turning into thorn season around here.
Valve stem failure is either a shitty tube or user error.

What pressure are you running?