Quantcast

Tubing benders

I have some stainless T-316/316L welded tube 0.3125" OD x 0.049" ID x 0.2145" wall thickness that I want to bend to fit a luggage rack to the Moonlander - need to allow for a .75" frame offset, keeping rack centered on wheel.

Auto stores and Sears have rather cheesy benders that are apparently limited to soft thin-wall materials.

Looking for suggestions on a tool that won't break the bank.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you have some woodworking tools, this can be cheap, and produces good results:
Use a piece of hardwood, cut the radius you want. Use a ball-end router as close as possible to the diameter tubing you're bending to cut a groove around the edge of the radius. Fashion a clamp to hold one end and bend it over through the groove by hand. The side walls of the groove will support the material and prevent buckling... kinda like this:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I bent 5/8 x .035" chromoly using some maple. It was pretty fun, and worked perfectly:

bender.jpg

bend.jpg

4130biker

May 24, 2007
What angle and radius do you need to bend to? I've heard of guys successfully bending thin wall, 1-1/4" chromoly using a kids bike wheel with the sidewalls of the rim supporting

Mar 8, 2015
Earth
You could also slip $10 to a guy at a muffler shop. The bend type is slightly different but would be fine for racks.
Cheap benders at Harbor Freight are for rebar etc and will kink thin walled tube.
I made a bender mandrel for 3/4" OD tube from Bondo-Glass.