Quantcast

Tucson AZ winter 411

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Any Monkeys ever spent time around Tucson in the winter? We're planning 6-8 weeks of snow and cold avoidance in February and March.

We'll spend most of the time near Phoenix, but would like to explore around. Maybe Vegas in March?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Any Monkeys ever spent time around Tucson in the winter? We're planning 6-8 weeks of snow and cold avoidance in February and March.

We'll spend most of the time near Phoenix, but would like to explore around. Maybe Vegas in March?
There's a good chance that we'll be in Phoenix/Tucson throughout those months for races. That's the best I've got.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
tuscon in the winter rules

cool environment, good riding, badass looking rocks and bigass cacti.

You'll probably end up buying a house there for 'wintering' just like everyone else.

Just remember, rocks are for traction, not for slipping. It's pretty anti-canadian

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
tuscon in the winter rules

cool environment, good riding, badass looking rocks and bigass cacti.

You'll probably end up buying a house there for 'wintering' just like everyone else.

Just remember, rocks are for traction, not for slipping. It's pretty anti-canadian
Dammit why didn’t someone tell me!

kidnap him, lock him in the basement (or swamp cooler reservoir) and slowly extract his wealth

he's canadian, he has trust. Will probably even say "sorry" for the inconvenience
Sorry.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The noodle sticking doesn’t even require international travel. Just a mellow stand of trees, 47 minutes, and slightly more gumption than your typical Front Range physician and I should be good to lead @Jozz down the Lemon Drop in no time.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
kidnap him, lock him in the basement (or swamp cooler reservoir) and slowly extract his wealth

he's canadian, he has trust. Will probably even say "sorry" for the inconvenience
I'm french Canadian. We're more bitchy and poor.

I'll squat his land and burry my poop all over. :monkey:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow that sound like a nice idea. I wish I had a place like that to get away from the wet and dark Danish "winter". I would think some brilliant Mexican food to be had too!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Perhaps the capitalization rules are different in French Canuckistan... :think: :confused: :rofl:
The general guidelines below will help you to decide whether to capitalize a word derived from a proper noun. However, check proper noun derivatives carefully. Usage in this regard is not standardized.

Adjectives
As a general rule, capitalize a name used adjectivally or an adjective derived from a proper noun:

• Digby chicken
  • Canadian whisky
  • Franciscan friar
  • Newtonian physics
Proper adjectives are associated with the person or place from whose name they are derived. When this association is remote, the adjective becomes common and in most cases no longer takes a capital, as illustrated below:

• bohemian lifestyle
  • chinaware
  • french fry
  • manila envelope
  • platonic relationship
source

I'd say the second scenario applies, because "french" refers to the language spoken, not the country. But you can obviously make a case for both... That said, in French, we don't capitalize in this case, which could be the reason for the confusion (as a bilingual person working for the government of a bilingual country, this scenario pops up all. the. frikken. time.) :

[In French] Do not capitalize such words when they are used adjectivally or to refer to a language:

• les citoyens canadiens
  • les femmes noires
  • le pétrole albertain
  • un Canadien français
  • une Basque espagnole
  • apprendre l’arabe

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The general guidelines below will help you to decide whether to capitalize a word derived from a proper noun. However, check proper noun derivatives carefully. Usage in this regard is not standardized.

Adjectives
As a general rule, capitalize a name used adjectivally or an adjective derived from a proper noun:

• Digby chicken
  • Canadian whisky
  • Franciscan friar
  • Newtonian physics
Proper adjectives are associated with the person or place from whose name they are derived. When this association is remote, the adjective becomes common and in most cases no longer takes a capital, as illustrated below:

• bohemian lifestyle
  • chinaware
  • french fry
  • manila envelope
  • platonic relationship
source

I'd say the second scenario applies, because "french" refers to the language spoken, not the country. But you can obviously make a case for both... That said, in French, we don't capitalize in this case, which could be the reason for the confusion (as a bilingual person working for the government of a bilingual country, this scenario pops up all. the. frikken. time.) :

[In French] Do not capitalize such words when they are used adjectivally or to refer to a language:

• les citoyens canadiens
  • les femmes noires
  • le pétrole albertain
  • un Canadien français
  • une Basque espagnole
  • apprendre l’arabe

:D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Le F(f)rench auto correct
You just blew my mind. I never really thought about auto correct being in other languages.

My english phone doesn't let me type Poutine, it will always and forever try to auto correct to pouting. Does yours auto correct pouting to Poutine?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
You just blew my mind. I never really thought about auto correct being in other languages.

My english phone doesn't let me type Poutine, it will always and forever try to auto correct to pouting. Does yours auto correct pouting to Poutine?
I don't pout! :D But I poutine a lot.

Actually my phone auto-correct in both languages.

Problem arise when I try to insert only one word in a different language.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

I don't pout! :D But I poutine a lot.

Actually my phone auto-correct in both languages.

Problem arise when I try to insert only one word in a different language.
now try asking it to deal with three languages at the same time!!!

Also, voice-typing simply does not work for me, as my wife's name is Spanish, my kids' names are French, and my name is spelled the French way (though I sometimes pronounce it in English). As powerful as AI is, it simply can't keep up with a sentence in three languages... take that robot overlords!