Quantcast

***Tues much light GMT***

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I want to kill whomever installed the original bathroom fans and light fixtures in this house. They did a mickey mouse job on the wiring, placement and venting. Had to open up the ceiling, sister in some 2x4 framing, re route the ducting and move insulation last night just to fit a new fan/light fixture in. I hope to have the wiring redone and replace the drywall tonight. what a PITA but it had to be done that old units fan motor was failing and the housing was corroded. It might have been there since the mid 70s.

oh well back to the full load on the short bus today oh joy......

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Jesus, are the holidays over yet?! I'm not sure how much more I can take of the kids being couped up in the same space.

Luckily, I'm shipping the little one off to daycamp today. Might try to take the big one skiing. My only concern is the windchill is coming in at -30°F. I don't want to scare him off skiing forever... :/

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Driving along this morning at 70mph on the commute, when the lady in the SUV next to me drifts into my driver side rear quarter panel...BUMP! She nearly pit maneuvered me...we both pull over to the side. She gets out, and I see she is a Hispanic woman in her 70's - yeah, good luck on insurance there....I notice I have only a small scuff on my bumper(97 Ford Explorer - lots of scuffs) I ask if she's OK. If you're OK, then I'm OK. Off we go.

Let's hope kharma works its magic and I get a winning lottery ticket.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Dafuq is wrong with the weather :confused:
Not -17 but our infrastructure and homes weren't built for these shenanigans. On top, deep freeze -> rain -> deep freeze is gonna be fun. :disgust:

upload_2018-1-2_8-37-45.png

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. I really don't want to go back to work today. FTS. Oh well, don't really have a choice. MIL leaves today. Back to the world of less sleep because baby and not having the MIL stay up until 1am catching last feeding.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think that is a good description. I will try to save the day by getting some gravel tires on my bike and hopefully getting them setup tubeless.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Made the mistake of stepping on the scale the other night. Verdict = I'm a fat fuck. Guess it's time to start cutting back...

For some reason I have the day off. Not complaining, just an odd day to have off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here. I really don't want to go back to work today. FTS. Oh well, don't really have a choice. MIL leaves today. Back to the world of less sleep because baby and not having the MIL stay up until 1am catching last feeding.
it gets better. if i can mange 2 (that are closer in age to yours) then anyone can. SIUP.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
My wood stove has had a fire burning in it for 8 solid days. I think I am getting immune to the cold temps. The trail networks for snowmobiles are groomed up nicely and the traffic is low due to the cold. I rode a bunch of it over the last few days. Above 10 tomorrow and a huge storm to finish out the week. Mother Nature is trolling us.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Back to work. This place is a ghost town and no meetings on the schedule. May take me a day to remember what the fuck I am supposed to be working on.

In other news weather is dry and slightly colder than normal. The Mitsubishi split HVAC unit in the new house is acting a little funky. It uses an integrated IR scanning thermostat. It seems to want to keep my house about +/- 10 degrees from the setpoint.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
the last time i had to light a new fire was December 22nd, so 11 days and counting. hottest i was able to get my family room was 82°. Kept the rest of the first floor low 70's, upstairs was mid to upper 60's.
Our furnace only heats the radiant floor in our basement. We keep that on 62 and use the wood stove for everything else. House is split into 3 levels, with the main level all open with the wood stove in it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Our furnace only heats the radiant floor in our basement. We keep that on 62 and use the wood stove for everything else. House is split into 3 levels, with the main level all open with the wood stove in it.
we've got electric heat pump, which isn't bad but uses a shitload of juice when it's really cold. I set it at 65° to keep the house at a baseline for night and when we're not home. right now our basement is unfinished, so it's only heating the upper 2 floors. once we get around to finishing our basement we're gonna add a standalone wood stove down there (we have the chimney from when the house had an oil furnace capped) so that'll help even more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Made the mistake of stepping on the scale the other night. Verdict = I'm a fat fuck.
Pro tip: Finally hitting 140 lbs != fat. I bring personal expertise to this topic, being fat myself. :D

I drove in, because 12 degrees or so at 7 AM. Pre-heated the electric car in the garage, dealt with the indignity of not having adaptive cruise control, and settled down to the grind. I'm on with two slow readers today so have to slow down my own pace/waste a lot of time so I don't look too idle.