Quantcast

***Tues much light GMT***

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm tired...... Side work today, gonna turn the heater on in the garage for a bit first
What kind of heater do you have? I just ordered a standard 120V ceramic heater to plop in the garage, as with the weather of late the garage has been about 20 degrees despite having an insulated garage door and R-19 in the walls.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Pro tip: Finally hitting 140 lbs != fat. I bring personal expertise to this topic, being fat myself. :D

I drove in, because 12 degrees or so at 7 AM. Pre-heated the electric car in the garage, dealt with the indignity of not having adaptive cruise control, and settled down to the grind. I'm on with two slow readers today so have to slow down my own pace/waste a lot of time so I don't look too idle.
173.2 lbs thank you very much. Probably a wee bit too much for my 5'7" frame, even if I'm not the most svelte individual. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What kind of heater do you have? I just ordered a standard 120V ceramic heater to plop in the garage, as with the weather of late the garage has been about 20 degrees despite having an insulated garage door and R-19 in the walls.

Are you trying to heat the garage to keep the car warm or trying to keep yourself warm while in the garage? If it is the latter just install a heat lamp wherever you will be located. Much cheaper to use 200 watts of on demand power to heat yourself than it is to heat a whole space and just as comfortable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are you trying to heat the garage to keep the car warm or trying to keep yourself warm while in the garage? If it is the latter just install a heat lamp wherever you will be located. Much cheaper to use 200 watts of on demand power to heat yourself than it is to heat a whole space and just as comfortable.
Having the garage at 45 degrees would be more pleasant, and would have the side benefit of kicking the PHEV minivan over to the gas side less often, or at least less immediately. I usually practice trumpet in the garage after the kids are asleep, too, so heating me would be a side benefit. I'd situate the heater in front of the minivan, though, to keep its oil and poor engine block from being too cold.

This to help vehicles rust due to road salt?
I don't follow?

Having the garage at 45 degrees would be more pleasant, and would have the side benefit of kicking the PHEV minivan over to the gas side less often, or at least less immediately. I usually practice trumpet in the garage after the kids are asleep, too, so heating me would be a side benefit. I'd situate the heater in front of the minivan, though, to keep its oil and poor engine block from being too cold.

I don't follow?
https://www.shodor.org/unchem/advanced/kin/arrhenius.html

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't follow?
Rule of thumb is that when all else is equal the corrosion rate of a metal is about twice as fast for every 10 degrees (C) of temperature increase for most atmospheric conditions. This is assuming there is water with ions present. Hot salty water will rust steel faster than cold salt water. Ice, not so much. Really hot water has less of an effect as the solubility of elemental oxygen decreases significantly.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
holy hell, General Manager Position interview number two is in the books. 45 minutes of intense questioning. Now they have "invited" me to the 3rd part of their vetting process, a 2.5 hour long online " Comprehensive Management Assessment". This is starting to be more of a pain in the ass than it is worth.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Things change. my dad a life long shed enthusiast, who hasnt smoked in years, hes 76 now. Really wants to go check out a recreational store and theres one by out work. So now its , shed, work, shed, lunch, work shed.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Rule of thumb is that when all else is equal the corrosion rate of a metal is about twice as fast for every 10 degrees (C) of temperature increase for most atmospheric conditions. This is assuming there is water with ions present. Hot salty water will rust steel faster than cold salt water. Ice, not so much. Really hot water has less of an effect as the solubility of elemental oxygen decreases significantly.
I used to work for a company that did deionized water systems for various industries - we had HCL and NaOH in giant quantities along with vats of brine for recharging cation and anion resin. Talk about a rust-festival...everything needed to be plastic, or it was toast inside of a year. Great for evidence removal as well.....not that you heard that from me - which you didn't....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to work for a company that did deionized water systems for various industries - we had HCL and NaOH in giant quantities along with vats of brine for recharging cation and anion resin. Talk about a rust-festival...everything needed to be plastic, or it was toast inside of a year. Great for evidence removal as well.....not that you heard that from me - which you didn't....

Your off the shelf can of Drain-o is mostly NaOH and HCL can be purchased at Lowes bottled as a concrete etcher. You know, in case you ever need to do some water deionizing work. :brows:

Just be sure to call your prostitutes "deionized water". Helps prevent verbal slip-ups.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have to do my front brakes on the car this week. My space heater gets it toasty enough in the garage for wrenchin'.
I can come and drink your beer and pass the wrong tools across if you need a hand, LMK.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You consider coating-2in a blizzard?
it's a frequent phenomena on the east coast. snow accumulations being wildly incorrect. one time last year we were "supposed" to have 10-12", ended up with barely a dusting. 2 years ago we had a storm where 3" wound up being 8".

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
He's in the 8-12" area, and with how the forecast is changing that could be 24" by storm time.
This, thank you. And it's not just the snow but also strong wind with high risk of power outages, to be followed by a few coldest days of the season(s).
upload_2018-1-2_16-26-29.png

None of this was in the forecast this morning.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Getting some 35c gravel tires on the GT Grade this week and I got a good route from a local rider which is around 45 miles for what should be a good fun ride this weekend.

Drove a BMW i3 today. Brilliant city car. A little low on grip with the skinny tires but loved how fast it felt. I can easily see myself buying an electric car for my next car.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
how hot is really hot for corrosion