Quantcast

Tuesday 8/3 GMT

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning primates! Wake the hell up people!!!

Good LUNA Ride last night. Two fast loops with a fun group followed by a HopBack in the Hot tub!

Heading to VT today to ride Pine Hill Park with a friend (she's going to pick-up her new-to-her car) and have lunch at Long Trail Brewing Company! Hopefully it doesn't rain on us, then we'll just have to head right to the brewery!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What's with you monkeys lately?

Slacking all over the place.

GET IT TOGETHER, PEOPLE.

edit: TreeSaw beat me by a minute. Merged.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Good morning. Caught teh lazy the past weekend and tried to shake it off with a ride yesterday, first in over a week. Managed to do the loop but could definitely feel the slacking ebbing out of my system. Should be better today, see if I can sneak out of work early to get a couple of loops in.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
back from 3 days in NYC...what a blast! this was the first time i'd ever spent much time in Brooklyn and there's loads of cool places there. my wife and are kidless (both are at overnight camp) so we went down for this, but ended up amending our plans on Saturday to catch the free Sonic Youth show in Prospect Park...amazing show, one of SY's best i've seen.

did a ton of walking, ate some great food, stayed at a very cool place, and visited the Whitney. great weather too, as the heat wave broke (but it was still 100F in the subways...).

bummer to be back at work, but at least it's a 4 day week...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pics or it didn't happen.
i tried to get a photo pass day of the show, and never heard back. i wasn't planning on going until that day, to be honest.

here are some photos that some other person took:
www.prefixmag.com/.../sonic-youth-grass-widow-talk-normal-prospect-park

i'll get to shoot SY twice more this year :D

edit - here's their setlist. they should play as a 4 piece more often (Ibold is busy w/ Pavement)

Candle
Brother James
Catholic Block
Stereo Sanctity
Hey Joni
Sprawl>
Cross The Breeze
The Wonder>
Hyperstation
White Cross
Mote
Shaking Hell

Encore:
Shadow of a Doubt
Silver Rocket
Express way to your Skull

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
What? Just walked back in from 10 days with my kid and his Scout troop from a high adventure trip.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Morning.
Got a few parts for my hardtail yesterday, its SO CLOSE to be doing done. Can't wait to start riding again. Hopefully I will be able to get the rest this week. Pics will go up.

Also scored some really cool Bass pint glasses from one of my bosses.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Car shopping blows. Anyone know of a Volvo V70 for sale with a manual? '05-'07 ideally.

Edit: and not a Type R.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I may be a semi-retired Pro but I can still partially bring it. Last night was a race from elevation down into town ending at a brewery. 3rd place, $200 cash and free beer. BOOYAH!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Morning all.

I am going to visit the east coast for the first time for a friends wedding from Thursday to Saturday night. I am going to Nags Head NC. Anyone familiar with the place?
Stop by the Weeping Radish. Good food, wenches in barmaid outfits, and the beers are enormous. It's in Manteo - very close to Nags Head.

The beer isn't particularly memorable but the outer banks are kind of a culinary wasteland so it's worth visiting.

IMO, the outer banks is primarily a place to enjoy the beach and participate in water sports (or learn to hang glide - there's a nice hang gliding school in Kitty Hawk). The shopping is mostly tourist traps, the food is mostly average, the watering holes are mostly unexciting. There's the occasional gem, of course.

Everyone raves about Ocracoke but I wasn't that impressed. There was one place that had great beer (Howard's Pub), and we ate at a restaurant there that was stellar (whose name escapes me) but overall I didn't think it was worth the effort of getting out there.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Stop by the Weeping Radish. Good food, wenches in barmaid outfits, and the beers are enormous. It's in Manteo - very close to Nags Head.

The beer isn't particularly memorable but the outer banks are kind of a culinary wasteland so it's worth visiting.

IMO, the outer banks is primarily a place to enjoy the beach and participate in water sports (or learn to hang glide - there's a nice hang gliding school in Kitty Hawk). The shopping is mostly tourist traps, the food is mostly average, the watering holes are mostly unexciting. There's the occasional gem, of course.

Everyone raves about Ocracoke but I wasn't that impressed. There was one place that had great beer (Howard's Pub), and we ate at a restaurant there that was stellar (whose name escapes me) but overall I didn't think it was worth the effort of getting out there.
Thanks for the rundown!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I finished my technical phone screen of scripted QA questions. I didn't much care for the questions as some were very vague.

Can you explain to me the relationship between Schedule, Quality, Scope, and Customer Expectation?

What might you include in a risk analysis?

What metrics do you feel are important in measuring "quality"?

I should hear if I'm short listed or round filed by the end of the week. The next round of interviews is an all day campus visit with at least 6 hours of panel and personal interviews. But if you survive the first panel, they buy you lunch and take you on a tour before locking you in a room with 3 hiring managers.

There are 3 open positions, 2 of them I am being considered for (one senior, one lead). The pay scales for both are the same, but the Lead role includes "substantial cash bonuses" per the recruiter.

Who knows, I could have nailed it. :patsak:

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
Hello everyone!

I honestly don't know how you all find the time to post on a daily basis, but I'm trying to participate more & be less of a "lurker". That description bothers me for some reason...

So, since the last time, I changed out the rear cassette on my bike & I FINALLY seem to have gotten rid of my shifting issues. I still need to tweak the front a little bit, as I was having troubles getting onto my middle ring Saturday, but since this is my first real round of do-it-myself repairs I think I am looking pretty good.

Mark & I rode B-street on Saturday for over 2hours. It was awesome, but LOTS of climbing. I think this is going to be a more regular ride location since the loal park is just not that challenging.

Hope you are all having a GRRRReat day! Back to the grind for me... my team is down 3 of 10 today... busy!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:
Holy Jeebus did work turn into a goat rope yesterday after noon. If you were trying to get to Salt Lake from Colorado Springs, I apologize. Had a wild lightning and rain storm late afternoon into the night, good show. Today is better so far, knocked out a 40 minute run on the clock and catching up on my :monkey: time. Plus, its friday for me. Gonna punch out a little early and go to DMV.:banghead: Apparently my license has expired.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sadly the simplicity of the manual transmission appears to be going the way of the dodo in 'Merika. :disgust1:
You're telling me. My list of wants is short. I want a pretty big wagon that gets at least OK fuel economy, will be reliable, and has a manual. That's pretty much it. And I can't fvcking find one. One dealer half an hour away has a 2011 Outback with manual. One. In brown. One 2 hours away has an '06 and an '07. Manual V70s seem to be vaporware, except for the Type R, and I don't really feel like paying extra for AWD and a high pressure turbo engine, when that's just more stuff to go wrong, and I don't need it.

'Mericans are fvcktards sometimes.

Edit: at least the Subie still comes in a manual. The only Volvo wagon with a manual in the US is the V50 R.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
a lot of lazy fvcks out there.
I really don't get the appeal of autos. Driving a manual isn't very hard. It's more fun. They're cheaper. They get better fuel economy (usually). There's less stuff to go wrong. You have better control of the car. Every time I have to drive an auto I find it infuriating.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Crazy talk. All crazy talk!
And when something does go wrong, you're less likely to be up **** creek. I was driving a beat ass old Acura Integra for a bit that didn't have 2nd gear. So I didn't use second gear. My current Volvo starts reliably most of the time. So I just park it on hills. Now it starts reliably all the time.

If I could get a time machine and go buy a new Volvo 240 wagon, circa 1990 I would be happier than a pig in ****.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And when something does go wrong, you're less likely to be up **** creek. I was driving a beat ass old Acura Integra for a bit that didn't have 2nd gear. So I didn't use second gear. My current Volvo starts reliably most of the time. So I just park it on hills. Now it starts reliably all the time.

If I could get a time machine and go buy a new Volvo 240 wagon, circa 1990 I would be happier than a pig in ****.
You are well on your way, Young Padawan.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
You're telling me. My list of wants is short. I want a pretty big wagon that gets at least OK fuel economy, will be reliable, and has a manual.
Did you check w/ Tom, the salesguy, at Ithaca Foreign Car? He's got "a guy" at one of the big auctions in Pennsylvania who can hook him up with just about any Volvo, or he can at least keep an eye out for what you're looking for if they don't have it right away.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Did you check w/ Tom, the salesguy, at Ithaca Foreign Car? He's got "a guy" at one of the big auctions in Pennsylvania who can hook him up with just about any Volvo, or he can at least keep an eye out for what you're looking for if they don't have it right away.
Yeah, they're looking. Their experience (and mine) is that manual V70s barely exist at all though. :(