Quantcast

** Tuesday GMT ** *

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I scooped an XT for $17, I'll run the new cranks that I bought and sell the old ones. I didn't realize that BB92 wasn't created with the intention of running 30mm cranks, but rather that the BBs are bandaid fixes....plus the new SLX cranks are gorgeous

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I scooped an XT for $17, I'll run the new cranks that I bought and sell the old ones. I didn't realize that BB92 wasn't created with the intention of running 30mm cranks, but rather that the BBs are bandaid fixes....plus the new SLX cranks are gorgeous
yea, i've heard the same thing about bb92 and 30mm cranks (i've read in multiple places that this combo will burn through bearings much faster thank a 24mm spindle setup). in regards to the Scott i picked up, if i didn't already have the e13 xcx cranks it would have been shimano no doubt, but a new BB was cheaper than new cranks. if it starts eating through bearings like crazy i'll just get a set of shimano cranks and call it a day.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
TBH I think the newer dual row bottom brackets solve the problem pretty well. They are more expensive because the bearing is custom machined, and the seal has to be custom as well, to my knowledge. If you spend the money on an enduro/hope dual row setup, I think you'll be OK for a long time.

I had already purchased the SLX cranks, the oval ring I want, and the fancy yellow boots will transfer from the turbine cranks to the slx, so I figured I may as well go for it. Plus, the XT BB's plastic shell makes a bit more sense than the metal bearing shell that has to be pressed into the carbon frame. I like the idea of the plastic deforming rather than the carbon. The weight should be within 10g, and I can probably sell the turbines for a profit or small net loss. I wouldn't have made the switch otherwise, though I do love shimano cranks.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
who is making those?
literally everybody. ROTOR, enduro, hope, wheels, basically anybody that isn't race face. They custom machine the outer lip on the bearing and add an extra seal. It's not perfect, but I think the enduro hope and wheels are literally the same product, while the rotor might be different and inferior. It's much cheaper and has bad reviews on a road website, but that's all the info I can get. It's also described as dual track bearings, so who knows what the spaniards are up to. My shimano setup was cheaper than an enduro bearing BB plus the resale of the turbines, so that sealed the deal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
literally everybody. ROTOR, enduro, hope, wheels, basically anybody that isn't race face. They custom machine the outer lip on the bearing and add an extra seal. It's not perfect, but I think the enduro hope and wheels are literally the same product, while the rotor might be different and inferior. It's much cheaper and has bad reviews on a road website, but that's all the info I can get. It's also described as dual track bearings, so who knows what the spaniards are up to. My shimano setup was cheaper than an enduro bearing BB plus the resale of the turbines, so that sealed the deal.
ok. i just checked, the hope site doesn't list them as dual row, but like you said they are virtually identical to the others. e13 calls theirs out as dual row.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ok. i just checked, the hope site doesn't list them as dual row, but like you said they are virtually identical to the others. e13 calls theirs out as dual row.
Yeah, the e13 had some bad reviews on a previous generation, and some sites listed is as angular contact (which would be better) but the lack of clarity turned me off. The hope doesn't say much but JM said they are identical to enduro by sight. I think virtually any of them would be an upgrade, and the enduro would be the "spend it and send it" method.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Do you ever eat something super spicy and think "wow, this isn't that bad. It's really flavorful!", never realizing that while the whole combo of the meal might have offset some of the heat of whatever you just ate? I am just getting there. I had some pizza that was spicy, but not regretting that decision spicy. Well, I am now regretting that decision badly. Very, very badly. Lawdy, have mercy on me.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A young female engineer asked me If I would insert my meat into her project. Being a consumate proffessional I didn't flinch.