Quantcast

>>> Tuesday GTM >>>>>>

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Good afternoon monkeys. A few weeks ago i had my daughters car in the shop for a coolant issue and new brakes. $1000 later, I bring the car home and park it in the driveway. The next day there is a puddle of coolant under the car. Take it back to the shop and tell mechanic, no hurry, as we don't need the car just yet. I see him this morning as the kids and I are leaving the house, so I swing in the lot. He says the heater core is leaking. Looks like it could cost up to a$1000 to replace. I hope he cuts me some slack on labor rates on this one. If I'd known the car was going to need $2k in repairs (it is a 20 year old Camry) I probably would not have kept the car. Now I am pot committed (to use a poker term) and will likely pony up for the repairs. At least at that point the car will have new brakes, new tires an oil change, new timing belt, waterpump, radiator and heater core. PHew. I need to work Toshi hours to get some OT. If OT doesn't start again soon, I may need to look for a side hustle.
Didn't you say up there this was your *daughter's* car? Looks like an opportunity for a life-lesson right here. :D

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Good afternoon monkeys. A few weeks ago i had my daughters car in the shop for a coolant issue and new brakes. $1000 later, I bring the car home and park it in the driveway. The next day there is a puddle of coolant under the car. Take it back to the shop and tell mechanic, no hurry, as we don't need the car just yet. I see him this morning as the kids and I are leaving the house, so I swing in the lot. He says the heater core is leaking. Looks like it could cost up to a$1000 to replace. I hope he cuts me some slack on labor rates on this one. If I'd known the car was going to need $2k in repairs (it is a 20 year old Camry) I probably would not have kept the car. Now I am pot committed (to use a poker term) and will likely pony up for the repairs. At least at that point the car will have new brakes, new tires an oil change, new timing belt, waterpump, radiator and heater core. PHew. I need to work Toshi hours to get some OT. If OT doesn't start again soon, I may need to look for a side hustle.
"Sunk cost fallacy"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bypass heater core. Car will still run without it. You will never get cold because of it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Bypassing heater cores was common among my high school friends, so was pouring STP oil treatment down the throat of your carburetor to gum up loose rings... Also mohawks. Mohawks and safety pins through your ears.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hopefully the heater core doesn't require your (daughter's) entire dash to be ripped out.... :busted:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
He says the heater core is leaking. Looks like it could cost up to a$1000 to replace. I hope he cuts me some slack on labor rates on this one. If I'd known the car was going to need $2k in repairs (it is a 20 year old Camry) I probably would not have kept the car. Now I am pot committed (to use a poker term) and will likely pony up for the repairs. At least at that point the car will have new brakes, new tires an oil change, new timing belt, waterpump, radiator and heater core. PHew. I need to work Toshi hours to get some OT. If OT doesn't start again soon, I may need to look for a side hustle.
When they built my Subaru, they started with the heater core and then built the rest of the car around it. I know that pain.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'll give you $20 towards the cause if I get one good whack with a baseball bat.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Phase one of campsite preparation @TreeSaw private montucky tour is complete, "God" spot #2 at my happy place Cliff Lake has been secured.

Now time to shed, chill beer and put up tent.

Next major decision will be whether to take a canoe or SUP ride on the glassy conditions.

It may have rained too much last night for the local mtb loop, it's been a while since I've seen mud.

On the plus side the gully washer seems to have helped with the smoke/fire...
IMG_20170815_103002.jpg

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Mech said the dash would have to come out. Hence, most of the labor cost, I assume.

this is my daughters car, which is really a hand me down of my last car. Bypassing the heater core was discussed and contrary to popular belief, it can get pretty cold here in Georgia.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
At what point does life begin? Is it when a child is born? Conception? That little twinkle in the eye when you know its baby making time? Do enlighten us good sir.
From the time matter first condensed after the big bang until your neurons stop firing in a controllable manner.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
20 Year old Camry should still be a relatively solid car. The heater core is behind the dash, which is why it costs so much to replace. The part is probably $50. We would bypass them as kids all the time here in SoCal, but I've done a few myself when I was in to Mustangs. It most definitely is a pain in the ass. I really think it would hinge on how good of shape the rest of the car is in and total miles.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Headache now managed, out and about picking up last minute camp/hunting stuff while it is still on the shelves. Taking mini me for a hair cut as well, cause you know I live screaming fits. New tent should be arriving today as well.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Still fucking sick.I really was hoping this wouldn't be a lengthy illness. Gobs of stuff still becoming loose. Abs and neck are shredded from coughing. Everyone is blaming me for getting them sick. My hatred for them seems justified. Fuckity fuck....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Bypass heater core. Car will still run without it. You will never get cold because of it.
i had a buddy in high school with a $200 pickup truck. heater didn't work. so in the winter he wore a heavy jacket and gloves and hat. then the windows stopped working, so he added ski goggles.

one night he flipped it in an ice storm. said fuck it, left it there. was on the front page of the paper the next day. so he photocopied it and pasted it all over our school.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Broke down and bought a nose hair trimmer. I've got one or two strays which never seem to stay plucked nor snipped for long. Worked well for a $16 battery powered device. I'm sure it won't last long.

#oldman

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Maybe I missed your purchase post...but more details are needed. I'm trying to find a used Scout, but there are only a few for sale and one or two of them look friggin' haggered. Is yours carbon or aluminum?
Carbon. Got it from the owner of the Wheel Mill in Pittsburgh. It was on the PB buy and sell. Serendipity really. It was up when I started looking and had cash available. Seems like the Scout is the more popular Transition. There was a few people wanting to swap a Scout for a Patrol.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I am very much looking forward to a weekend of big/little bike riding in Whistler/Squamish.

I am somewhat less glad we timed it to ride the post-EWS exploded trails, however. Meh, it'll still be good.

Will be loading up the soccer mom mobile on Thursday after dropping the kids off at daycare and heading up to attempt to make sense of my DH bike.

I forget if I posted up my magnificent "new" vehicle. After selling my Mazda, this thing cost me $2,200. No car payments, quite pleased.

AWD, loaded, with A/C that works!

Now I need to start my Recon Rack purchase fund... Or sketch up some fab drawings so my guy supplying my project just makes one for me...

Other than that, I think my Nomad just needs new shock hardware installed and I'm good to go.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Afternoon Monkies! I spent the last 2 hours screwing around with my desktop which was running super slow so I gave up and went for the factory reset. I backed up NOTHING and have no idea what I may have lost. No care though. It all started when the computer would no longer print via wireless connection... after the reset it still could not find the printer through my wireless network so I went ahead and plugged in the cable since the printer is only 3 feet away. Beer time? Yes.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Stuck on a broken plane waiting for @Pesqueeb 's colleagues to fix it. Who needs AC and a pressurized plane anyway?m

Flying for work is no fun.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
New tent set up super easy. Kinda sad it took me tearing my old one to update but hey why not. The two door thing is interesting specially being it will be just me in it....... Still delivered as promiswd

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Carbon. Got it from the owner of the Wheel Mill in Pittsburgh. It was on the PB buy and sell. Serendipity really. It was up when I started looking and had cash available. Seems like the Scout is the more popular Transition. There was a few people wanting to swap a Scout for a Patrol.
Whats your thought on the quality of the frame so far? While I rode a few Tranny's in PA, along with my buddies, we didn't really stop to look at the bikes; just shredded them.

Definitely looking forward to hopefully owning another Transition. :)