Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
we're always down for story time.
I got laid-off from my job in the roof and floor truss industry in 2008 when the housing bubble popped here in NC. I had to reinvent myself into new careers about 5 different times over the course of the next 8 years as I kept picking crummy companies that would either downsize the hell out of everything or they shut down completely. Wife had some personal struggles, and we nearly lost the house more times than I can count.

But each successive failure brought me one step closer to where I've ended up today...even though many times it didn't feel like it. Wife has a handle on her shit, we both have new careers and still have the house. My 10-year old son is doing great, and for the first time in what feels like an eternity, I can actually breathe and feel pretty good about where I am.

I miss riding, I miss talking about riding, I miss throwing stupid amounts of money at a hobby, and I'm looking forward to rediscovering it all.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I got laid-off from my job in the roof and floor truss industry in 2008 when the housing bubble popped here in NC. I had to reinvent myself into new careers about 5 different times over the course of the next 8 years as I kept picking crummy companies that would either downsize the hell out of everything or they shut down completely. Wife had some personal struggles, and we nearly lost the house more times than I can count.

But each successive failure brought me one step closer to where I've ended up today...even though many times it didn't feel like it. Wife has a handle on her shit, we both have new careers and still have the house. My 10-year old son is doing great, and for the first time in what feels like an eternity, I can actually breathe and feel pretty good about where I am.

I miss riding, I miss talking about riding, I miss throwing stupid amounts of money at a hobby, and I'm looking forward to rediscovering it all.
sounds pretty sucky. glad to hear you seemed to have landed on your feet. glad to have you back.

i have 2 kids now. who let that happen?

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Morning.

Sweet tweet on the work front this AM. Think I'll start packing things up with a plan to pull the pin at some point today.

Road bike is calling my name, will take the boy up the trails tomorrow I think.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I am still sick, but 3 days stuck in the house was 2 days too many. I need to also sell a couple bikes and buy me something I can actually ride. I am too old and too angry to push the RM7 too far these days. I have realistic goals for a "do all" bike as I don't "do all" that much. :rofl:

Quick trivia question? Did Yeti ever make a folding bike?

I ask because some dude posted a "custom Yeti" that is a no name folding frame with beach cruiser style drop outs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wifey does the same shit sometimes. I just comment that I will be outside mowing/working on her car/maintaining [house thing]/etc. It's my petty way of commenting that I too have shit around the house to do, just that she doesn't see it until something breaks. You know that shower that wasn't draining super quickly, but started working totally fine last week? The one that you didn't comment about before or after, because it just works better? Yeah, I took care of that, pulling out about .25# of knotted hair from the drain while you were out with your girlfriends. Dishes get done somehow, things in the house rarely break or stop working somehow. It's fucking magic.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Doing my research on how to paint Haley's bike. The hope was to keep the aluminum raw, but it looks like I'll need to clear coat it because of the oxidization. Clear coating raw aluminum is apparently a PITA and is extremely hard to do well, so she might end up getting a fully painted bike. I'm really glad I spent all of the time getting ALL of the excess powder coat off the frame. Guess @Nick is going to have to come over to help paint it, as I suck at painting anything with spray paint.

Also, FTS some more.
No need to clear coat alu, my current Burner trail bike is raw alu and so was my DHR. It won't stay shiny if that's the look you're after but if the dull look doesn't bother you/her then leave as is.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am newly returned to the monkey pit as well as riding and I still ride a 26. So no, it is not cool. apparently you must have 29" X 2.5"+ tires and 1X11 drivetrain to hang with the cool kids these days.
Not true, 29r's were a fad. The real money is on 27.5. Referring to them as 650b adds Euro flair.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Counting down weeks to Whistler. This Sunday will be day 5 at Snow Summit on the big bike. Riding more and feeling way better. I just can't wait to mentally GTFO out work for two weeks. Wait, I think that's everyday, maybe just physically GTFO out of work for two weeks. Really hoping my wife and family enjoy the trip as well.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Two tall boys, shed materials and lights have been loaded into the hydration pack; time to roll over to my buddies house to fix his derailleur cable.

Looks like I'll probably get rained on, but yolo.