Quantcast

***Tuesderp GMT***

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
another day dealing with retards behind the wheel.

Watched a dude go ballistic at a woman driver at a gas station. he was all badass until he noticed a bunch of guys giving him the want to get your ass beat look. He was still screaming from his car as he burned out into the lowes parking lot and almost hit some parked cars. total douche

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can you say you got a crappy sleep, if you didn't actually sleep? If only words could describe how I feel right now.

But no time for that, I took today off and am going riding. Already had one buddy bail but am hoping this other guy shows up; haven't ridden with him since last year. Also bringing my buddy who is in his first year of biking to my "home away from home" trails. It'll be his first taste of "earning your descent" type of riding. Should be good times.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rain, much needed, I don't see a ride today. Window #2 hung and adjusted last night, it finally works as designed with all the interlocking weather strips finally interlocking. I have deep admiration for the workmanship of the original builders and a deep contempt of everyone who performed shoddy maintenance later.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Had an awesome idea over the weekend, I dunno if you could call it a business idea but it certainly seems like one of those win-win for everyone kind of ideas. If only I had some idea how you turn something from an idea into reality. I don't even have the foggiest of ideas what step #1 in that process is.

Otherwise, ear plugs for sleeping has proven awesome the last few nights.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Mornin!

Had an awesome idea over the weekend, I dunno if you could call it a business idea but it certainly seems like one of those win-win for everyone kind of ideas. If only I had some idea how you turn something from an idea into reality. I don't even have the foggiest of ideas what step #1 in that process is.

Snorkel all the things
Profit

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

It's a lovely post-rainstorm morning out there...so happy to see all of that dust finally go away for awhile. I am able to breathe well through not one, but TWO nostrils. I know, I know...I'm living la vida loca - eating dark chocolate, wearing white after Labor Day...just wild'n out 24/7.

I'm going to go and try to look busy for a few hours by staring intently at my computer screen, aggressively shuffling papers and muttering just loudly enough to myself that people will think there's some real action happening in this cubicle.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No rain in Maine yet.
The rain in Maine falls mostly in the plain?

I had my first rainy commute in my newly cobbled-together rainy-commute outfit. works as intended, so I am a happy commuter: rubber boots; new fangled rain pants that are waterproof, highly reflective, and have a bit of stretch to them; gore-tex jacket (caus' no commuter jacket really matches it in performance) with a reflective construction sash over top; a safety belt that has a phospho-luminescent thingy that blinks that my kids gave me for my birthday; and my '1500 lumens' Ituo (rip) Wiz-20 on blinky mode; and the cherry on the sundae, my anti-fog lenses from Ryders. I feel this way there are few chances of not being seen, I could see where I'm going, and I was bone-dry (except for some sweat). It's less crowded on the bike paths when it rains. It's a little like winter camping: quite pleasant when you have the right equipment, mostly because there's less people.

Now I just need to fix/replace the broken rear fender.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Dropped my truck off with a mechanic yesterday who's going to o a bunch of work as a side hustle. Having a full service and inspection done, replacing some fluids, new belts and hoses (hopefully) including timing belt, installing a rear diff locker, and hardwiring in a GPS, radio, an LED lighting.

I'll be without a truck for a week or so, so kitchen table or commuting to the office is the name of my game for a few days. Can't say I'm not stoked about it.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
gore-tex jacket (caus' no commuter jacket really matches it in performance) .
I've been a Gore Tex advocate for a long time--since my days working at The North Face 15ish years ago. I love that they have a lifetime warranty, and got three jackets out of one--first returning to TNF when it was no longer waterproof, then Gore Tex for the same and came out with an Arcteryx, all for the TNF 50% off employee discount!). I lost the last one (was pissssssed) but was gifted a new Arcteryx 5 years ago. It is no longer waterproof by a few years but I like it and haven't sent it to Gore Tex it yet. I am thinking this year I want to trade it in, but maybe not use it in the city/burbs, while riding, maybe even not while skiing unless backcountry, and invest in a cheaper waterproof layer. What kind of life does anyone else get out of those? Mine get about 2 years. Is it the pollution in the rain? The fact that I use it a lot? Why? I really want something I can wear while teaching ski lessons without getting soaked... I know you all have opinions out there...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I've been a Gore Tex advocate for a long time--since my days working at The North Face 15ish years ago. I love that they have a lifetime warranty, and got three jackets out of one--first returning to TNF when it was no longer waterproof, then Gore Tex for the same and came out with an Arcteryx, all for the TNF 50% off employee discount!). I lost the last one (was pissssssed) but was gifted a new Arcteryx 5 years ago. It is no longer waterproof by a few years but I like it and haven't sent it to Gore Tex it yet. I am thinking this year I want to trade it in, but maybe not use it in the city/burbs, while riding, maybe even not while skiing unless backcountry, and invest in a cheaper waterproof layer. What kind of life does anyone else get out of those? Mine get about 2 years. Is it the pollution in the rain? The fact that I use it a lot? Why? I really want something I can wear while teaching ski lessons without getting soaked... I know you all have opinions out there...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Mornin!

shark tank, starshine.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I don't even have the foggiest of ideas what step #1 in that process is.
Step 1 - you share it with ridemonkey and we will improve it with an injection of hookers and blow, and add a bong shed dimension.

WFH so far but leaving for the office soon. I managed to acquire several pieces of parting beads in a local lumber yard (parting bead? Bill, WTF is a parting bead?), then ordered some interlocking weatherstripping for a few windows that are missing them or where there deteriorated beyond repair, from an old school factory outside of NYC. Yay!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I found the best thing I could do for my WR shells/pants is to never wash them, or if absolutely needed to not use detergent and reapply nikwax, air dry, then low dry. Once the original treatment is gone I've never been able to get it as good as before.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I should have been more judicious in my use of words.... It's a Patagonia hardshell, so H2NO Plus. But essentially, the same as a 3-ply gore-tex. I've had it for many many many years. At least 10 I think. I rarely use it, mostly because it's black, which is a shitty commuter coulour (that's why I invested in the construction sash). I got it as a warranty replacement for another jacket that began to delaminate, so didn't have a choice in the colour. It doesn't see much use, as I'm not a big fan of hardshells. I prefer soft shells for when I'm fat-biking or skinning. It doesn't have a snow skirt, so I don't really like using it while skiing, and besides when I'm at the resort, I prefer a single insulated jacket (not layers). I'm a bit of a jacket diva... I have far too many. far far far too many. I just find one jacket to do it all really doesn't work well. I like having the right jacket for the right purpose. In winter, this is more comfortable, and ultimately safer. Off the top of my head I have:

- 2 ski jackets (one synthetic insulation, one down insulation)
- one puffy down jacket for camping
- 1 synthetic parkas for working outside / winter camping
- 1 synthetic bomber-style jacket (not sure what I use this one for anymore...)
- 1 hardshell
- 1 uninsulated softshell (rolls up small and is great in for high-output activities in full-on winter conditions over a fleece or vest)
- 1 fleece-lined softshell
- 1 Icebreaker lightly insulated "bomber" style jacket - mostly for city use
- 1 peacoat for at work/city
- 1 work raincoat
- 1 raceface hardshell (worn out and delaminated)
- 1 commuter rain coat that's not breathable, and kinda heavy so I don't use it much

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I should have been more judicious in my use of words.... It's a Patagonia hardshell, so H2NO Plus. But essentially, the same as a 3-ply gore-tex. I've had it for many many many years. At least 10 I think. I rarely use it, mostly because it's black, which is a shitty commuter coulour (that's why I invested in the construction sash). I got it as a warranty replacement for another jacket that began to delaminate, so didn't have a choice in the colour. It doesn't see much use, as I'm not a big fan of hardshells. I prefer soft shells for when I'm fat-biking or skinning. It doesn't have a snow skirt, so I don't really like using it while skiing, and besides when I'm at the resort, I prefer a single insulated jacket (not layers). I'm a bit of a jacket diva... I have far too many. far far far too many. I just find one jacket to do it all really doesn't work well. I like having the right jacket for the right purpose. In winter, this is more comfortable, and ultimately safer. Off the top of my head I have:

- 1 hardshell
- 1 uninsulated softshell (rolls up small and is great in for high-output activities in full-on winter conditions over a fleece or vest)
- 1 work raincoat
- 1 commuter rain coat that's not breathable, and kinda heavy so I don't use it much
you sound like as much of a gear nerd as me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Step 1 - you share it with ridemonkey and we will improve it with an injection of hookers and blow, and add a bong shed dimension.

WFH so far but leaving for the office soon. I managed to acquire several pieces of parting beads in a local lumber yard (parting bead? Bill, WTF is a parting bead?), then ordered some interlocking weatherstripping for a few windows that are missing them or where there deteriorated beyond repair, from an old school factory outside of NYC. Yay!
Is there some compelling reason you didn't just have all these shitty windows replaced? Sounds to me like ride time is being squandered here... :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
damn dude...it sounds like your primal instincts don't gel with your office's vibe.
this was all before i got to the office.

tl;dr version - pumping gas on way to work. gas pump went fubar. started pouring while i was fucking with it. got completely soaked. so bad i had to go back home and shower and change before going into the office.

and this was after 3 brain damaged drivers almost killed me.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Final walk through on new house is tomorrow. Paranoia about wire not working is in full effect. Big repairs for current house scheduled for this week. Just re-read the contract and figured out that the water heater related repairs will only be $1000 vs $1500 because they didn't write everything out, just two parts. Score one for me.

More packing last night and more to be done tonight. Plan is to get the basement 100% done tonight and finish breaking down the guest BR and office. That leaves the master which is around 80%, kitchen 90%, garage 90%, and Haley's room 80%.

Ready to get this done so that I can ride my bike again.

Haley just figured out how to stand and pedal on her own over the weekend. She was swapping between her 20" and 16" commenting on how they felt - better fast, turns easier, better off the sidewalk, etc. Was fun to watch. Looking forward to getting her on dirt to really play with the bikes.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I found the best thing I could do for my WR shells/pants is to never wash them, or if absolutely needed to not use detergent and reapply nikwax, air dry, then low dry. Once the original treatment is gone I've never been able to get it as good as before.
Yes, I've tried all different methods of gore-care, but alas, 4 GT jackets later (in 15ish years), they all bleed through. I spoke with the GT rep on jacket #3 to try to make sure it didn't happen again... I'd been doing all he said already and it still doesn't work. I'm guessing I just wear it too much or something...

- 1 hardshell
- 1 work raincoat
Lol! Sounds like we have a similar jacket wardrobe! I'm mainly asking about the waterproof options because it often rains at our ski hill. Our jackets get put through the ringer! I am seriously considering one of those thick carhart jackets. Less layers and lessons might be over before it bled all the way through! What I would really like sounds like your 2 ski jacket options--I don't have an insulated ski jacket, I just layer a lot.