Quantcast

Turn the other cheek or kick some @ss???

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Just watched black hawk down with a group of Christians. Earlier that day one was preaching about turning the other cheek. During the movie “yeah”, “hell yeah”, “boom” “die bastard”, “stop lolly gagging and kill that fool”. What happened to turning the other cheek? He also made the comment that Jehovah witnesses piss him off cause they won’t go to war. The rest all chime in “yeah me too”. So my question is (since I have no problem with wasting the enemy) what’s all this turn the other cheek business? Are you a wuss if you don’t want to go to war? Is it really logical to oppose the death penalty (asuuming you can get a fair trial) but be all gung ho for wasting some “skinny’s”. Should Christians go to war??? I mean after all judgment shall be served in the end? Can you really see Jesus holstering an m16?? Where’s all the love and sensitivity? I like to keep it real violence solves alot of porblem, not all but alot.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Originally posted by trialsmasta
Just watched black hawk down with a group of Christians. Earlier that day one was preaching about turning the other cheek. During the movie “yeah”, “hell yeah”, “boom” “die bastard”, “stop lolly gagging and kill that fool”. What happened to turning the other cheek? He also made the comment that Jehovah witnesses piss him off cause they won’t go to war. The rest all chime in “yeah me too”. So my question is (since I have no problem with wasting the enemy) what’s all this turn the other cheek business? Are you a wuss if you don’t want to go to war? Is it really logical to oppose the death penalty (asuuming you can get a fair trial) but be all gung ho for wasting some “skinny’s”. Should Christians go to war??? I mean after all judgment shall be served in the end? Can you really see Jesus holstering an m16?? Where’s all the love and sensitivity? I like to keep it real violence solves alot of porblem, not all but alot.
heh, doesn't sound like Christians I'm familiar with.

Yeah, I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I for one haven't ever done stuff like that. I'm usually the guy that steels myself to walk away from a confrontation while getting laughed at. :mad: Not fun, but at least it ends the confrontation. Those guys need to change a few things. :)

Oops..lemme alter that...I haven't KNOWINGLY done stuff like that. When I realize I'm doing it (and I have done wrong/bad things, before...everyone has) I feel like the biggest idiot and ask for forgiveness.

T

Tenaciousle0

the Bible says to turn the other cheek, but that didn't stop Jesus from kicking the asses of the money changers in the temple. So,maybe It means you should only fight for what you know is right. But who really knows, besides God, anyway?

Yeah, Jesus kicked them out (even used a whip! *L*) of the temple for 'turning it into a den of thieves.' If I remember, that's the only case in the Bible where Jesus actually got mad, but then again, if your father was God, and idiots turned the temple - his father's house - into a shopping mall, I'd think he had more than enough reason to get mad. :) If I remember correctly, the Bible doesn't actually say one should NEVER get angry....I think it speaks about being SLOW to anger, and I think it also talks about not getting angry for the small stuff (this is extremely paraphrased)....but for the 'good' stuff, like Jesus did.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by trialsmasta
I think war and the death penalty are two entirely different things.

with the death penalty, there is no immediate danger, someone is sitting behind steel bars. With war, someone may be pointing a gun at your head. maybe it's just me

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ok, the judeo christian view of the "turn the other cheek" philosophy has been so miscronstrued through the years that it has turned many a "man" into a quivering coward. too many christians believe that serving God means that you have to be a "nice" guy and never stand up for yourself if it involves any kind of confrontation....ever! what a hunk of bull! read through the old testament and see how truly awesome and frightening God can be by using his people to wreak some serious havoc. "turning the other cheek" was a meant towards those who have a cheak to turn, are you going to tell your 7 yr old son that when the 10 yr old bully hits him he should just stand there and let him get hit again? no! that will only break your child's spirit and make him feel totally powerless. now, if some teenage punk hit me, (225 lb ex marine) would i hit him back? no, i would turn the other cheek because it would force the punk to hit me knowing that i am offering it to him out of humility. imagine yourself as that punk kid....wouldn't that change something in the way you thought about me and why you hit me in the first place? now put yourself in the place of the 10 yr old bully, if your 7 yr old turned his cheek the bully would just hit it harder because the 7 yr old is already "beneath" him and has no chance of retaliation. i get so sick of people thinking that all christians are passafists, nowhere does it say that it's wrong to be a warrior, it actually confirms every mans true nature as a fighter (not neccesarily in terms of violence) with an excellent role model to try and live up to.
so to relate it to your christian friends watching black hawk down and cheering for the good guys....no, i don't see anything wrong with that. if you saw your friends being shot up would you just stand there and "turn the other cheek"? i sure hope not, that's not what our country was built on.

i cheered for BHD
i cheered for Braveheart
i cheered for Patriot
i'm a christian, i will go to war, and i firmly believe that's just fine with God.

johnny33fb

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
Glens Falls, ny
MMike wrote:
"And Blackhawk Down was one of the worst movies ever made."

Are you going to back up your claim, or just makes worthless comments. I don't see how you could think it was one of the worst movies ever made, when the movie follows the direct events of what actually happened. Sure the lines and maybe some of the details were off but it was an extrememly accurate movie based on the events.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by johnny33fb
MMike wrote:
"And Blackhawk Down was one of the worst movies ever made."

Are you going to back up your claim, or just makes worthless comments. I don't see how you could think it was one of the worst movies ever made, when the movie follows the direct events of what actually happened. Sure the lines and maybe some of the details were off but it was an extrememly accurate movie based on the events.

Who cares? The fact that it's accurate makes it even worse. It makes everyone involved look stupid. Horrible movie. Right up there with Freddie got Fingered.

johnny33fb

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
Glens Falls, ny
MMike wrote: "Who cares? The fact that it's accurate makes it even worse. It makes everyone involved look stupid. Horrible movie. Right up there with Freddie got Fingered."

hmmm... the fact that its accurate made it worse? You did know that is was based on actual events when you saw it right??? And making the people involved look stupid qualifies the movie as bad how? Because thats what actually happened and it shows all the mistakes that happened during the event. But maybe you should stick to movies that don't involve making the watcher use their brain.

johnny33fb

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
Glens Falls, ny
How can you say that the movie didn't make you use your brain? It clearly showed difficult decisions that make up foreign policy and how that policy is put into affect. It also showed how illprepared the US was before going into that situation and how that led to the disaster in Somalia.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
Originally posted by johnny33fb
How can you say that the movie didn't make you use your brain?
Well 90% of the movie is shootings and the like, which pretty obviously do not require great thinking. The other 10% focus on the whole situation, but do not add anything significant to the info that was already available to the grand public.
It clearly showed difficult decisions that make up foreign policy and how that policy is put into affect.
I would not stretch it that far. You get a couple pointers, yes. But it's in no way an analysis (even a light one) of the whole US foreign affairs policy.
It also showed how illprepared the US was before going into that situation and how that led to the disaster in Somalia.
Again, the film didn't bring anything new in this department.

JMHO.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I thought BHD was a crap film too and I used to like Ridley Scott's work.

Historical accuracy does not guarantee a good movie, I could make an historically accurate movie of my seventh birthday party but it would be a crap movie.

I found the film hard to watch, it just didn't involve me in the way something like Saving Private Ryan did (for example). In order to feel involved you need to empathise with one or more characters and that just didn't happen for me.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Any movie that has a Bay or Bruckheimer tag with it you can be assured two things....explosions and a plot that requires no thinking. ....oh one more...poor acting.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Yeah the movie was a Hollywoodized version of what happend. The thing that was lacking in the movie was the fact that the mission in Somalia was the most rightous use of military force in recent US history. We had absolutely nothing to gain from it. It was a purely humanitarian mission. It represented the only time in Bill Clintons reign that I was proud of him. But alas, it was short lived. Once things got ugly in Somalia (after the day depicted in the movie) the mission became a political liability for Clinton. He backed out due to "possible negative public opinion". I cannot imagine a scenario in which US soldiers deaths have been more in vain than for an incomplete humanitarian mission. Thos emen died and there is absolutely nothing tangible to show for it. That is the legacy left to the families by Clintons decision to back out of the mission. Nice.
I wish the REALITY of this had been included in the movie.

I have met Michael Durant. Awesome guy. I expressed the same thought to him. He agreed and thanked me.