Quantcast

TURNER DHR - rear shock options

243-Man

Chimp
Apr 23, 2004
hey monkeys :)

i planing to buy a DHR frame and i whould like to replace to romic (the reviews in MTBR.com was really scared me:mumble: ).

what other options do you guys recommend? what about a
Fox Vanilla RC?

as i understand the fifth and swinger doesnt have enough space in the frame . i was think about the RC because it have a much smaller piggy tank.

thanks allot guys!
243-Man

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
If its an 04 DHR you are limited to the romic or shocks with external reserviors

02-03 DHRs can run any shock, but a swinger or 5th isnt recommended due to the progressiveness of the frame

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Romic, or something with a remote resivor.

For the record. Im a big guy, and have ridden my DHR pretty good for a good 4 months and my romic has been doing a great job.

Dont get too hung up on what you read on the net. For as many people that have had romic issues, im sure there many more that have not had any issues. To me it seems that people love to post about problems and broken parts, rather than give reviews of things that work well for them.

Give the romic a shot before you plan to jump ship, then if you really dont like it look for another option.

my 2c.

243-Man

Chimp
Apr 23, 2004
somebody here ride a DHR with Avi ? it sound pretty good for me.

what do you say guys about this combination?

thanks

243-Man

Chimp
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by oly
Romic, or something with a remote resivor.

For the record. Im a big guy, and have ridden my DHR pretty good for a good 4 months and my romic has been doing a great job.

Dont get too hung up on what you read on the net. For as many people that have had romic issues, im sure there many more that have not had any issues. To me it seems that people love to post about problems and broken parts, rather than give reviews of things that work well for them.

Give the romic a shot before you plan to jump ship, then if you really dont like it look for another option.

my 2c.

thanks man!! you help me allot! :-)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
one bad customer tells a thousand, one satified customer tell a few.

Romics are very good shocks! Ive never had a problem with the ones ive used, very good performance and reliable. unless you order from wheelworld :sneaky:

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Unless Push starts selling their shock with the external resivior your limited to avi or rc on the 04.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by mack
one bad customer tells a thousand, one satified customer tell a few.

Romics are very good shocks! Ive never had a problem with the ones ive used, very good performance and reliable. unless you order from wheelworld :sneaky:
yeah right, go read the reviews of them...there are certain ones that have held up, but they got serious issues and people from all walks of life, on all sorts of bikes, have blown them. The ONLY thing that has "saved" them is the great customer service.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rear_Shock/product_122291.shtml

What is really telling is all the "positive" reviews where it blew as well.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
as i said before, do you really think that a romic is going to have a 50/50 chance of working? NO, but according to mtbreivew they do, so dont take reviews for granted, there not accurate polls.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
as i said before, do you really think that a romic is going to have a 50/50 chance of working? NO, but according to mtbreivew they do, so dont take reviews for granted, there not accurate polls.
well, you are right, for some of us there was zero chance of it working from the beginning.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=25426

I don't really know why they blow, and why it seems that they are blowing on many different kinds of frames, but i wonder if there is any logic to this?;
I had a romic blow on me too. I just tossed it after I opened it as I heard their customer service was sooooo bad. I quickly saw numerous design problems with this shock. They blow for multiple reasons. the belief that the tolerance are too tight is not correct. first off, the bearings that guide the shaft were way sloppy. the amount of bearing overlap for the shaft was the least I’ve ever seen in a damper that needs to handle some side load. The way the compression adjuster is designed, is why they blow out. Because it is a twin tube, the floating piston has 2 seals, not one like the Fox or other shocks. (note twin tubes used in the auto industry do not use a floating piston) So when the air heats up in the outer chamber, if everything do not expand at the same rate the piston gets sticky. the oil that the shaft displaces when it goes into the shock has to pass by the compression adjuster and the piston does not let the oil in fast enough. I think thats why mine blew. I switched to a Helix Expert because they use bigger bearing overlap than anybody else. Also, I has that cool feature off feeling bottomless because of the coil & air assist. Check that shock out. 1.5 years and still going strong.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
:mumble: :mumble: :mumble:
Why? Just because some people haven't had a problem doesn't mean that there is no problem? It means that you are lucky, and perhaps due to minimal side-loading or near-perfect alignment, your romic may not suffer from the same things that these others do, but for a large number of riders, this is a problem, and just with people that I've hosted on rides here from different parts of the country, what I've been told has only reinforced this belief.

Romic shocks are blowing, and that is a fact. It's a fairly large number of shocks as well. Just to relate to another current thread, I have hayes HFX9s on one of my bikes (and Mags on the other) and I haven't had any problems with them. That doesn't make them "great" brakes, I can see the plastic plug that can create the problems, and I'm not going to say that there's nothing wrong with the design just because mine hasn't popped out.

ddc

Chimp
Oct 16, 2001
Quito - Ecuador
at his moment your options will be the romic or the avy as said in other posts.

i purchased one of the turner-honda bikes ('03) about 6-7 months ago, it came with a romic shock that blew in the 2nd ride, and since the begining the rebound dial didn't work at all, the guys at romic and the seller were very helpfull during the repair of the shock, but living in ecuador-south america it took about 1+ months to have it back, but since then it has worked perfectly on the bike, you could feel perfectly how the shock changed every 2 clicks of the dials. i think my shock was one of the 200 shocks run that had some type of structural problem on the compression eyelet.

after that i saw a brand new azonic recoil with 2 romics blown after a couple of rides, and other 2 DHR's with the rebound screwed...so, being a previous owner of avalanche shocks, as soon as i had some extra $$ i purchased the avy for the '04 DHR (will arrive in 2-3 weeks :D :D ), if you do a search you can see in other posts by espen some pics of the '04 DHR + the avy and were the reservoir will be placed.

since i already have the avalanche, i placed it on the '03 DHR frame and have been riding it for the last 3 weeks. if you ask me if there is a BIG difference between the 2 shocks, the answer is no. with both shocks the travel feels bottomless and very controlled, the avy outperforms the romic on small bumps and in high speed impacts over edged bumps, both pedal very similar.

so why i got the avy?? because been down here i can't afford to spend 1+ months to repair my shock and the reliability of the shock is very important for me and the avy receives an A+ ;) in this subject and i can sleep with out worries.

hope it helps.

ddc

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by ddc

i purchased one of the turner-honda bikes ('03) about 6-7 months ago, it came with a romic shock that blew in the 2nd ride, and since the begining the rebound dial didn't work at all, the guys at romic and the seller were very helpfull during the repair of the shock, but living in ecuador-south america it took about 1+ months to have it back, but since then it has worked perfectly on the bike, you could feel perfectly how the shock changed every 2 clicks of the dials. i think my shock was one of the 200 shocks run that had some type of structural problem on the compression eyelet.

after that i saw a brand new azonic recoil with 2 romics blown after a couple of rides, and other 2 DHR's with the rebound screwed...so, being a previous owner of avalanche shocks, as soon as i had some extra $$ i purchased the avy for the '04 DHR (will arrive in 2-3 weeks :D :D ), if you do a search you can see in other posts by espen some pics of the '04 DHR + the avy and were the reservoir will be placed.

since i already have the avalanche, i placed it on the '03 DHR frame and have been riding it for the last 3 weeks. if you ask me if there is a BIG difference between the 2 shocks, the answer is no. with both shocks the travel feels bottomless and very controlled, the avy outperforms the romic on small bumps and in high speed impacts over edged bumps, both pedal very similar.

so why i got the avy?? because been down here i can't afford to spend 1+ months to repair my shock and the reliability of the shock is very important for me and the avy receives an A+ ;) in this subject and i can sleep with out worries.

hope it helps.

ddc

wow so youre in quito
seems were just a colombian and an argentinian away from having the complete andes region covered here on the monkey!

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
I want to throw out another heads up to avy too, my friend has a DHR with the avy on it, and even without the compression adjustment, it really does feel awesome. He hasn't had any problems with it either, doesn't ride too hard, but definitely not easy on it. Plus, with an Avy you can get it rebuilt at your local MX shop.

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
Originally posted by ddc

hope it helps.

ddc
Here is where we placed the reservoir.

ddc

Chimp
Oct 16, 2001
Quito - Ecuador
Originally posted by vitox
wow so youre in quito
seems were just a colombian and an argentinian away from having the complete andes region covered here on the monkey!
hey vitox..... have been browsing this site for the last 2 years maybe...don't post that much but i'm always reading the different posts and have found very good info from guys like you, acadian, brian, bulldog and the other regulars here, specially if the posts are turner, hope, avy, and michelin related plus some race/pics posts also.

had a chance to talk to chiles bernarda pizarro durig the pan-american MTB games here in april and even gave her some advice on how to run the michelin c16, she was very impressed with the track (best so far for her) and baños is a small town that matched very well with the DH community, but sadly there was not room for the masters :angry: so had to seat and watch.

keep in touch

diego