Quantcast

Two more reasons why WP kicks ass

Sep 2, 2009
Centennial
1. They extended their freeride fridays to Sept. 25th. Not bad!

2. They treat you like an adult. As long as you dont act like an idiot, they let you ride (slowly) through the Village. Much better than walking it, I say.

Okay, so $35 is a bit much, but they are adding sweet trails and hosting Crankworx every year.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I have to drive 9 hours to the very closest lift...stop yer fuggin crying. I'd pay a local farmer bob here to drive us to the top of a hill here. Hills are short, but that only means we have to hike up em 10 times every ride. Friggin knees are shot.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
winter park is fun for a day. they only have one ok dh run, boulevard. their so called double black run isnt even worth going to, its far from the base, you have to hike to it and hike out of it. i stick with keystone and sol vista for now

zzsean

Chimp
Jun 29, 2007
Boulder, CO
winter park is fun for a day. they only have one ok dh run, boulevard. their so called double black run isnt even worth going to, its far from the base, you have to hike to it and hike out of it. i stick with keystone and sol vista for now
Have you been to WP lately? Based on this I have to assume not.

Is it as good as Sol Vista? Heck no. Is it fun with the new Trestle DH, Jump Trail, BeAllUCanBe and the other new trail section? Heck Yes.

With a MSC race and Crankworks being a Sunday race I did my season ticket math and it looks like getting a Sol Vista season ticket for $175 before May 27th and a Winter Park season ticket is what my summer will look like this year.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
difficult decision: cheaper riding at winter park, along with a cool community?
or more expensive ticket at Keystone, where I can stay indefinitely at my parents place and ride every day?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Beause he has a place to stay for free in Summit County. I don't care what kind of $hithole Keystone or Winter Park MIGHT be... this still wins the contest.

Bird in the hand and all that...
Ah, you were going from the $$ standpoint. All I was thinking about was riding:thumb:

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
me thinky keystone.
this will be my tax refund self-gift this year

unless anybody gives me a serious reason to reconsider...

hopsalot

Chimp
Dec 21, 2009
Denver
I got harrased for riding threw the base village yesterday by one of there mountian patrol flunkies, I don't get it, they give you carte blanche to ride as fast as you can on burley tree lined trails, hitting big jumps and staring death in the face around every corner but riding two miles an hour threw the village to get from where THEY put the bottom of the trial to where THEY put the lift is assumed to be beyond the bike handling skills of the riders comming of the trails. I'm tired of riding up hill to link trails together and around the village after paying $34. WP, get your act together.

MBX5

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Not sure about ridding uphill to link trails but I'm with you on the village. I remember last season they opened it up for ridding in the village then this season I get the third degree for doing it and not even fast.

hopsalot

Chimp
Dec 21, 2009
Denver
Not sure about ridding uphill to link trails.
Longs trail comming of of pipe cut, Lower Longs trail comming off of Longs trail, Trestle Downhill comming off the lift, Boot camp comming off Boulvard, No Quarter comming off Jump trail (thats the best they could do for a name), The death march to and from Mountian Goat, the uphill around the building heading back to the lift, the list goes on and on.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Longs trail comming of of pipe cut, Lower Longs trail comming off of Longs trail, Trestle Downhill comming off the lift, Boot camp comming off Boulvard, No Quarter comming off Jump trail (thats the best they could do for a name), The death march to and from Mountian Goat, the uphill around the building heading back to the lift, the list goes on and on.
Dude, there are 3 other front range resorts that'll take your money- why not go to one of them and stop btching. :p Or toughen up a little and pedal that few hundred feet. You do have a bike with pedals, right? ;)

And Jump Trail is now Rainmaker, and they're building new sections of trail to do away with some of the other uphill sections.

But I'll agree on the village walk though. I wonder why they can't build a bridge for the alpine slide - wouldn't take any more wood than the other bridges they've done.

Last edited:

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
hello all, I am planning on heading up there the first week of September for 3 days of riding. It would be awesome if you guys that go here regularly could give me some info, like expected weather, are the trails well marked so I don't get lost since its my first time up there. The trail map is a little iffy on areas and I know some trails link to the X-country trails off the resort. Any information is well appreciated as this is my first time doing any lift assisted riding, but hopefully not the last.

kmac25

Chimp
Mar 24, 2011
WP is the best. its still growing so is a bit smaller than say keystone or sol vista. 35$ isnt that bad. you have to remember you pay like 100$ to ski at vail ion the winter. and keystone you pay 40 i think. its not bad at all. and the trails are super flowy and they have sick jump trails. plus their demo program is like 2nd to none 80 bucks to ride a 6000 dollar bike for a day its like amazing!

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
WP is the best. its still growing so is a bit smaller than say keystone or sol vista. 35$ isnt that bad. you have to remember you pay like 100$ to ski at vail ion the winter. and keystone you pay 40 i think.!
I'm not sure where you're getting your info. And WP has a lot of trails open, they're even running 3 lifts this year. Not that Keystone doesn't have tons of trails either, you really can't go wrong.

They're smoking crack. Unless they consider the jumpy stuff at the bottom enough to call it "open"...

There is a veritable $hitload of snow up there.
And Bacon Boy is right, I highly doubt any of the resorts will be open for mt biking on time this year. 10 feet of base is not going to melt in 1 month.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
All the snow we are getting now is melting imediatly. The base is starting to expose dirt and mud, and what used to be grass. There will still be snow, but it's just pushed around to make the trails rideable. Maybe some time today I will drive down there to snap a picture for the haters. SS!

Are you planning on coming up this summer?