Quantcast

Tyre repair doohickeys

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What toobless repair kits are people using? I've been carrying a Dynaplug kit since I went to tubeless and never needed it till a couple months ago. Found it not super effective when I did need it though. Are there better kits/systems out there? Any recommendations?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Maxalami. Used once in 3 years to great success, tire is still running and sealant is tight. Had a classic pinch/snake bite.

www.maxalami.de website is horrible though.
Bought at bike-components.de

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I carry those wormy things (but don't carry the tool) plus a car/truck puncture patch. not that I've needed either.

Top tip: the wormy things can be carried inside a 15mm maxle along side your pre-rolled party favours.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I carry an inner tube. the only flats I've had that sealant couldn't repair were pinches, at the tire bead. My experience is that nothing can fix those cuts as they are too close to the bead, and the leverage at that point is too high, and wind up tearing the fix or patch. This is why I now run DD casing tires.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I have found that the dynaplugs work better for me than the wormy style plugs. The wormy ones tend to get pulled back out of the tire when cornering or braking. The dynaplugs have a barb that keeps them from pulling out. Sometimes it takes multiple plugs to seal a hole though, they also make a larger style "megaplug" for big holes.

I also repair my tires with automotive patches after I get out of the woods, they are tough and you can even fix pinches at the bead. I'm not throwing a tire away until the tread is done if I can help it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I also repair my tires with automotive patches after I get out of the woods, they are tough and you can even fix pinches at the bead. I'm not throwing a tire away until the tread is done if I can help it.
I've tried that but i haven't found a glue that holds up against Stans. What do you use?

Crazy glue is too brittle. Rubber cement gets dissolved. I bought some marine epoxy that I use it to touch up my shoes as the rubber from the sole gets torn up or stitching comes undone, and I haven't tried that with automotive patches yet. It might work, but I'm still skeptical it would be flexible enough. I haven't needed to since running DD casings.

I've tried that but i haven't found a glue that holds up against Stans. What do you use?

Crazy glue is too brittle. Rubber cement gets dissolved. I bought some marine epoxy that I use it to touch up my shoes as the rubber from the sole gets torn up or stitching comes undone, and I haven't tried that with automotive patches yet. It might work, but I'm still skeptical it would be flexible enough. I haven't needed to since running DD casings.
Epoxy is, I think, too brittle. I have thought about trying to sew up a bead pinch, but have never tried it.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I use the bacon and carry no wax dental floss and a curved needle. The bacon works on small stuff. Only had to sew one tire.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Anyone tried shoegoo?
No but I have the stuff in the blue tube 5ten used to send with the resole kits. Though about trying that with the floss or bacon. Now that I have Cushcore in the tires removing it without losing most the sealant isn't the easiest thing to do.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Anyone tried shoegoo?
I've been using shoegoo with success for several punctured tires. Most recently, I pinch flatted a brand new DD Aggressor and it ended up with an ~8mm slice right at the bead. Didn't want to chuck a brand new tire, so I repaired it with shoe goo and had absolutely no leakage for the remaining tire life. You could even see some of the goo repair from the outside of the tire, but it held extremely well.

I would highly recommend this stuff for tubeless repairs that don't have to be done on the trail.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA

I just use the rubber vulcanizing glue that is for use with the auto patches. It basically dissolves and re-vulcanized the 2 pieces of rubber together

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I just use the rubber vulcanizing glue that is for use with the auto patches. It basically dissolves and re-vulcanized the 2 pieces of rubber together
Yeah. That's the only way really. As above. remember vulcanising solution is not glue. It's a solvent and it basically fuses the two rubbers together.

I might be trying to teach grandmas to suck eggs here but I'll say this anyway...
For anyone struggling to get those patches to stick, same as a bicycle inner tube patch, clean the tube/tyre thoroughly, roughen it with sand paper and after appllying the vulcanising solution you need to wait until it is nearly dry and at its tackiest before placing the patch in on. There's a wee trick you can do (which I learned from a motorcylist); after spreading the solution on the trye/tube take a lighter and set light to it. blow it out and you can stick the patch straight on without waiting.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The plugs haven’t always been super effective for me out on the trail, you lose sealant, have a possible hole still, etc. it’s usually easier to boot it and throw a tube in. I’ve been able to use plugs back home when I could play around with it more. Also bring them on vacations for use.

I patch the tire and/or sew it depending on the cut or tear. I got a bald schwalbe that is dangerous as hell, but two plugs, a patch, and dozens of thorns from TX and AZ. Kept it on a little too long.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah. That's the only way really. As above. remember vulcanising solution is not glue. It's a solvent and it basically fuses the two rubbers together.

I might be trying to teach grandmas to suck eggs here but I'll say this anyway...
For anyone struggling to get those patches to stick, same as a bicycle inner tube patch, clean the tube/tyre thoroughly, roughen it with sand paper and after appllying the vulcanising solution you need to wait until it is nearly dry and at its tackiest before placing the patch in on. There's a wee trick you can do (which I learned from a motorcylist); after spreading the solution on the trye/tube take a lighter and set light to it. blow it out and you can stick the patch straight on without waiting.
will carbon paste help make the bond stronger?!

:D

Jokes aside, I didn't know this about the vulcanising solution. This is very good info. Thanks!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You also don't need to spread lots of the vulcanizing glue on either, just a thin layer.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah I always carry a tube as well because stuff walking home. I've never had to fit a tube to a Dynaplugged tyre but I imagine the sharp brass bit that gets left behind might cause issues for a tube later?

I'm basically after a kit to carry to attempt trailside repairs on big days out. Once I'm back home I can stuff around trying to patch the tyre or whatever with shoe gu or a vulcanising patch. The Genuine Innovations kit seems to get good feedback, I might try one of those. I carry a small Leatherman in my pack so I can cut off the excess noodle and hopefully that makes for a more durable repair.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, we had a road tube that simply wouldn't patch (three tries).
I used a small piece of the RV tape, worked like a charm so far.
Think I will keep some pre-cut pieces of this stuff in my on-bike tool kit.
(Eternabond)

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i saw a fancy looking purple ano one from a writeup about an enduro race once upon a time, but for the life of me can't remember what race, website, or brand of stabby poker it was

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm carrying the bacon strips because they were 1/10 the cost of dynaplug. Haven't used em yet.

Mostly I have a spare tube though.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh hey look at that i was thinking of the dynaplug. how in the lizard hot rocks does a sharp pointy thing in the tire aimed at your rim not fuck things up?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
oh hey look at that i was thinking of the dynaplug. how in the lizard hot rocks does a sharp pointy thing in the tire aimed at your rim not fuck things up?
They do pointy and rounded options FWIW. The Pointy is easier to get in, but if you're doing it on a completely flat tyre there's a good chance you'll stab your rim tape if you come at it like Jack the Ripper on a Victorian-era hooker. And if you need to tube it up later you need to remove the stabby part from the inside I reckon.

The Rounded ones are probably better for completely deflated tyres but you've got to look like you're carrying a pack of mini-flaccid smurf dildos.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
From what I understand from the sales spiel by the Dynaplug rep, is that the stans fluid actually eats those things.
Supposedly they are one in a couple of weeks leaving just the tar like plug.
I haven't tried one yet so I can't confirm IRL as yet.