Quantcast

u.s. out-armed in afghanistan?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
US rifles not suited to warfare in Afghan hills
KABUL, Afghanistan – The U.S. military's workhorse rifle — used in battle for the last 40 years — is proving less effective in Afghanistan against the Taliban's more primitive but longer range weapons.

As a result, the U.S. is reevaluating the performance of its standard M-4 rifle and considering a switch to weapons that fire a larger round largely discarded in the 1960s.

The M-4 is an updated version of the M-16, which was designed for close quarters combat in Vietnam. It worked well in Iraq, where much of the fighting was in cities such as Baghdad, Ramadi and Fallujah.

But a U.S. Army study found that the 5.56 mm bullets fired from M-4s don't retain enough velocity at distances greater than 1,000 feet (300 meters) to kill an adversary. In hilly regions of Afghanistan, NATO and insurgent forces are often 2,000 to 2,500 feet (600-800 meters) apart.

Afghans have a tradition of long-range ambushes against foreign forces. During the 1832-1842 British-Afghan war, the British found that their Brown Bess muskets could not reach insurgent sharpshooters firing higher-caliber Jezzail flintlocks.

Soviet soldiers in the 1980s found that their AK-47 rifles could not match the World War II-era bolt-action Lee-Enfield and Mauser rifles used by mujahedeen rebels.

The Soviet Union, whose AK-47 already used a shorter 7.62 mm bullet that was less powerful but more controllable, created a smaller 5.45mm round for its replacement AK-74s.

"The 5.56 mm caliber is more lethal since it can put more rounds on target," said Col. Douglas Tamilio, program manager for U.S. Army firearms at the Picatinny Arsenal in New Jersey. "But at 500-600 meters (1,600-2,000 feet), the round doesn't have stopping power, since the weapon system was never designed for that."

The arsenal, which is the Army's center for small-arms development, is trying to find a solution.

A possible compromise would be an interim-caliber round combining the best characteristics of the 5.56mm and 7.62mm cartridges, Tamilio said.
anybody care to put together a prototype for the new gun/ammo combo?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ummm, Geneva what? It's Hague, not Geneva, and Hague doesn't apply to caliber (or most any other aspect of a modern weapon) no matter that they're still teaching machine gunners that it does. (What's a 50mm, anyhow?? Sounds pretty damned big to carry...)

Pretty sure NATO 7.62 will do the job they want, and both the round and the rifles are available in the current inventory.

But if they're trying to theorize an intermediate rifle that'll carry what the M16 can and hit as hard as the M14, hmmmm...interesting idea, but you don't get something for nothing, but then again, I'm no ballistics expert. Probably best to keep a squad armed with a mix of weapons whatever the case.

(Note that I am of the opinion--fact, really--that caliber doesn't matter with regard to "stopping power" for pistols unless you're talking hunting wild animals with a handgun. Different story with rifles for sure.)

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Time to bust out all those M14's that are sitting in the grass bunkers at Aberdeen. Or better yet, call FN and order up some FAL paratroopers.

There is a 6.5mm round out there, but it's still in development stages. With the limited number of weapons out there that chamber the 6.5mm round, even fewer that are battle ready, I doubt introduction of a 6.5mm weapon into the U.S. aresenal in this decade.

My suggestion would be to phase in a weapon that has similar characteristics to an M4 or M16 so as to minimize familiarization. I'd say a good way to go is to add a few AR-10's to each squad. The trigger sear from an M-4/M16A2 should easily swap over to the AR-10. Most accessories, including grips, sights, slings, etc... should be 100% compatible with the M4/M16 and the AR-10.

FYI... AR-10 looks and functions just like an AR-15, but is chambered in 7.62 x 51mm.

M4

AR-10

Last edited:

olander

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
6.8, they're probably going to switch to the 6.8. i've read that the LAPD SWAT is planning to or already has switched from 5.56 to 6.8. either choice is much better than 5.56.

by the way 50mm.... SWEET! i'll take 2

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
we were testing the 6.8 in iraq and it will be tossed over I bet. it only takes a few components to convert the m4, its the cheaper way to go. I am willing the army will just send out new complete uppers.
An inexpensive and effective conversion or rolling out some old M-14 would make some sense. I therefore predict that the military will come up with a more expensive and less effective alternative. Contractor profitability is not maximized through common sense.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
An inexpensive and effective conversion or rolling out some old M-14 would make some sense. I therefore predict that the military will come up with a more expensive and less effective alternative. Contractor profitability is not maximized through common sense.
the m14 is all I used in iraq but there arent enugh to go around, It may be possible that springfield armory will get a contract for socoms

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
That culture has known nothing but war since the 80's, probably earlier but I"m a poor histroy study. Soviet union tested all their weapons on them. They beat the russians out back then, of course thanks to our help. It will take more than guns and troops stun them.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
USMC just selected the HK 416 as its replacement for the SAW.

Interesting choice from a traditional infantry team/squad tactics standpoint...changing from a belt to a box mag definitely decreases firepower on tap. But makes sense based on the urban fighting experiences of recent vintage; open-bolt belt-feds weren't doing well in house-to-house, apparently, and no one was doing squad rushes over hundreds of yards of ground to take an objective, so the need for sustained suppression on the team/squad level wasn't quite as great. (Or maybe they got too used to having HMMWVs with M2s on call all the time...?)

Anyhow, point being, this gun is to be in the USG's inventory soon. Wondering if in time, they're not going to try and change over to it for the general-purpose rifle in whatever calendar...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
the m14 is all I used in iraq but there arent enugh to go around
I'm hazarding a wild guess that there are plenty in storage...oldschool early vietnam vintage wooden ones, not re-tooled super-slick modern jobs mind you. Just a matter of getting them to the right people.

Wondering if the answer isn't mixing a few 7.62s in with the team/squad level weapons mix (Designated Marksmen) and not trying to replace 5.56 wholesale as the infantry rifle.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I'm hazarding a wild guess that there are plenty in storage...oldschool early vietnam vintage wooden ones, not re-tooled super-slick modern jobs mind you. Just a matter of getting them to the right people.

Wondering if the answer isn't mixing a few 7.62s in with the team/squad level weapons mix (Designated Marksmen) and not trying to replace 5.56 wholesale as the infantry rifle.
Most of those were swooped up through the CMP though. There's 5 or 6 guys at military matches at my club who shoot CMP M14s. .308 Winchester is GREAT round (7.62 could be win mag, or 30-06, there's more to a cartrage than caliber) The only issue with .308 is that the ammo is heavy. I would say the 6.5X (the wildcat round that David Tubb developed) Is a 22-250 necked up to a 6.5. I know it's a GREAT shooting round out to 1000 yards while still being lighter than a .308 Winchester. I'm just not sure how the energy is down range at distance.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
.308 Winchester is GREAT round (7.62 could be win mag, or 30-06, there's more to a cartrage than caliber)
(note: been reloading since I was 12y/o)

When we refer to 7.62 (more correctly the 7.62 NATO), we're referring to the cartridge 7.62x51mm. Although the projectile, overall case length, and neck length are nearly identical, the slope of shoulder of the case is different after the round has been chambered and fired.

True, you can chamber and fire 7.62NATO cartidges in .308WIN chambered firearms safely and effectively, but the inverse is not true (.308 in a 7.62 firearm). The headspacing of a 7.62 firearm is much shorter than that of a .308, which means if you use a .308 cartridge in a 7.62 firearm, you can damage the cartridge upon chambering, possibly leading to bad stuff happening.

If you don't believe me about the headspace/case shoulder stuff, do the following.
- fire a 7.62NATO cartridge in a .308 firearm
- reload the shell
- try to chamber in a 7.62NATO firearm, you'll notice that it will jam

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Give all the ground troops over there 50mm guns. Problem solved, Geneva be damned.
Hmmmm,.... a .50 BMG I think you mean.

Carry a box of .308 .223 or .50 BMG around sometime.

I wonder if a new cartridge is really needed or just a lighter weight rifle that uses .308 or something like a .300 win short mag.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
(note: been reloading since I was 12y/o)

When we refer to 7.62 (more correctly the 7.62 NATO), we're referring to the cartridge 7.62x51mm. Although the projectile, overall case length, and neck length are nearly identical, the slope of shoulder of the case is different after the round has been chambered and fired.

True, you can chamber and fire 7.62NATO cartidges in .308WIN chambered firearms safely and effectively, but the inverse is not true (.308 in a 7.62 firearm). The headspacing of a 7.62 firearm is much shorter than that of a .308, which means if you use a .308 cartridge in a 7.62 firearm, you can damage the cartridge upon chambering, possibly leading to bad stuff happening.

If you don't believe me about the headspace/case shoulder stuff, do the following.
- fire a 7.62NATO cartridge in a .308 firearm
- reload the shell
- try to chamber in a 7.62NATO firearm, you'll notice that it will jam
I didn't realize that. I fallow what you are saying, I have a dylan 650 that I do pistol with and I use a single stage for the rifle. I have bought 7.62 ammo in the past and ran it through my model 70, I didn't realize they were difference. I'm a target shooter and the only military gun I have is an M1 garand.

God bless Ronnie Berrett and all his fantastic contraptions.

The 1911 is turning 100 Y/O next year( I know JMB designed it in 1907 or something) and Manufacturers are starting to pay tribute. You see what Kimber did? (homer simpson drool noise)

Ronnie Barrett needs to do a 1911 with Unicorn horn dust finish that is 1MOA out to 600 yards. :rofl:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Fire and manouever, backed by appropiate indirect fire and air support will win the day. As long as the boys are allowed to do their jobs. Weapons are weapons, choke off the supply of arms and ammo coming from the outside and you will win the war.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
choke off the supply of arms and ammo coming from the outside and you will win the war.
that will never happen with countries that basically have no boarders.
unless we cut off ALL mountain passes and donkey paths, illegal arms will still flow into these third world countries from other third world countries.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yes, but by attrition if you ake away the bulk of it, and the technology, the bad guys will run out of arms/ammo soon enough.
the Russians tried that and arms still filtered through pretty easily. technology? they are taking on the all mighty US military with 30+ year old weapons and basic guerrilla tactics.

of course cutting off supply of their weapons would theoretically stop them, but that could never happen

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
"soon enough?" As in like 500 years?

Plus, the border is unsealable.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
With FULL Paki/Afghani co-operation, it is doable. UAVs can loiter on target for hours, when a U2 picks up and confirms weapons runners, throw a missile at them, bingo.

But to nswer the original question, we arent outgunned technically speaking, but htere are a hell of alot of guns over there...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Militarily speaking, we won. Our enemies were defeated, all major engagements won via proper appliction of dominant fire power, maneouver, mass and firepower. The Northern Alliance was driven from power, along with their Taliban allies.

Winning the peace, that is another story.

Had GWHB listened to his military advisors, specificlly Colin Powell (Powell Doctrine anyone?) cruise missiles and tactical bombing would have done the dirty work in A-ghan...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Militarily speaking, we won.
Conflict only serves political purposes. There is no such independent thing as "winning militarily." You achieve your political goals or you don't.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Conflict only serves political purposes. There is no such independent thing as "winning militarily." You achieve your political goals or you don't.
Oh please, you know what I mean. All initial military objectives were met, the enemy forces were defeated in battle and driven from the field. The US military has done its job, the politicians who started the wr have failed in theirs.