Quantcast

U-Turn shock?!

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
My friend and I were talking, and it may sound kinda stupid but has anyone thought of making a U-turn shock? Or is that just a stupid idea. Or has it been invented already it just sucked. If you think about it, it could be kinda nice to adjust your geometry for wherever your riding.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah bionicon did some pretty cool stuff, but I don't think anybody has a built-in adjuster for their shock. It would be cool to drop a 7" freeride bike down to four for flatter/uphill stuff, and then back up to 7 for gnarstyles.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
yeah bionicon did some pretty cool stuff, but I don't think anybody has a built-in adjuster for their shock. It would be cool to drop a 7" freeride bike down to four for flatter/uphill stuff, and then back up to 7 for gnarstyles.
Um, Scott Ransom, see my post above. Remote, on-the-fly travel adjust.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
the big problem with adusting the shock on the fly is that it slacks the head angle. you get nicer short travel charatersitics with a crappy climbing head angle made worse by shortening the rear shock, functionaly compressing the suspension. of course, you can drop the fork too, if you have an adjustable travel front end, allowing you to keep the head angle closer to the starting angle. of course, you then need to factor in that you will be lowering your bottom bracket by the amount of front and rear travel reduction, allowing you to smack pedals all the way up the hill on your awkward 40lb short-travel climbing machine.

Edit - What is needed is a sliding shuttle mount for the shock with a quick release and a lockout on the shock to go along with the travel adjust shock. you compress the shock, slide the mount down the shuttle (assuming it is downtube mounted) to bring back the BB and HA, then lock out the shock for short, firm travel w/ a better head angle.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
as long as i'm being a kill-joy:
let's not forget that reducing the shock travel will slack the ST angle along with the HT angle, moving the rider weight closer to the rear wheel. amplify this weight shift by increasing the seat post length for comfy climbing and you are now are well over the rear wheel, making for another great climbing characteristic on your adjustable travel bike.

simple answer = adjustable fork w/ lockout and a rear shock with a lockout. lock the rear shock, drop the fork and lock that out too. you now have a firm pedaling rig with a steeper HA and SA. the BB is a bit lower than you rock/root-clearing DH starting geo point and you are good to go!

fergyrock

Chimp
Apr 18, 2007
The way the Bionicon works; hold the button on the handlebar and lean forward the fork gets shorter 150-70mm and the adapter screwed onto the end of the shock piston extends and changes the eye to eye length of the shock 15mm, it does not change travel. This positions you further forward and greatly reduces your leverage on the rear shock making it feel stiffer, reducing bob. Then the opposite happens when you hold the button and lean back, also you can position it anywhere in the 6 degree angle change just by letting go of the button wherever you want.

Bionicon is the only bike that effectively gives you DH and XC geometries on-the fly.

Here is the Super Shuttle, our newest, with 6 up front and just under 7 in the rear with head angle range of 65-71 and can be built under 30lbs. It is my bike of choice.

Attachments