Quantcast

UCI / Discovery channel

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
My argument is that despite being a great product it's not a sustainable business and it may also be a massive leap backwards for earth as a planet if we kill our orbit with too many satelites. Though I'd focus on the business aspect. Their calculations are uber optimistic and don't' take into account that with growth come extra costs. So it's more of a case "use it til it lasts" since I doubt IN ITS CURRENT FORM it will ever be profitable.

According to the research firm Quilty Space, SpaceX's Starlink satellite Internet business is now profitable.
i‘m bored, let‘s revive this. :dirol:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

i‘m bored, let‘s revive this. :dirol:

"According to Bloomberg's sources, SpaceX's accounting was "more of an art than a science" and the much-hyped system isn't actually profitable, despite Musk's assurances."

Also literally some big shot CEO accused Musk of doing an Enron via creative accounting.

So come on Sethi I know you want to argue but you are also anal about the details and not trusting shit on face value so why do you trust "everything I do blows up in my face" guy.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

that i could support, would keep the nice tight race day schedule and still allow some lower tiers the chance to race on sunday
interesting. I suppose in this system there wouldn't be protected riders either? caus' if there is, it seems like it could get pretty complicated for the casual observer to follow.

I really don't know what to think of the "no protection proposition" to be honest. seems like having protected riders is a good way to ensure the consistently top riders are up there. it's a way for the big brands to guarantee their "investment" makes it to the big show, and on to the telly. But then I see the potential for abuse. Not saying that was the case, but I saw an accusation levied at Finn this weekend that he "gamed the system" and saved himself and his energy for the final...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
interesting. I suppose in this system there wouldn't be protected riders either? caus' if there is, it seems like it could get pretty complicated for the casual observer to follow.

I really don't know what to think of the "no protection proposition" to be honest. seems like having protected riders is a good way to ensure the consistently top riders are up there. it's a way for the big brands to guarantee their "investment" makes it to the big show, and on to the telly. But then I see the potential for abuse. Not saying that was the case, but I saw an accusation levied at Finn this weekend that he "gamed the system" and saved himself and his energy for the final...
The system is a bit wrong when DH turns into an endurance sport. Sure having fitness is good but it should not be a multi stage DH rally.

Also added semis are an issue for riders that are still trying to ride with an injury.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmm...I did like the one run and done format when I raced. But I'm no pro. And trying to fit in waaaay too many riders was not a thing either. This is why maybe they're doing the multi run format? Narrow down the field?

How about a SX format? If you're top 30 or whatever, you're in. If you're bottom, you get an LCQ (last chance qualifier).

But like what Finn did was kinda cheating IMO. So if I were protected, why would I do all the runs? For overall points? IDK.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Hmm...I did like the one run and done format when I raced. But I'm no pro. And trying to fit in waaaay too many riders was not a thing either. This is why maybe they're doing the multi run format? Narrow down the field?

How about a SX format? If you're top 30 or whatever, you're in. If you're bottom, you get an LCQ (last chance qualifier).

But like what Finn did was kinda cheating IMO. So if I were protected, why would I do all the runs? For overall points? IDK.
He left about 75(?) overall points on the table by skipping qualis & semis. I think semi winner is 50 pts, quali is 25?. He does care about overall (he's said before he'd like to win the overall), so that wasn't ideal. And he missed out on practice runs, so he traded knowledge of track for rest.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
He left about 75(?) overall points on the table by skipping qualis & semis. I think semi winner is 50 pts, quali is 25?. He does care about overall (he's said before he'd like to win the overall), so that wasn't ideal. And he missed out on practice runs, so he traded knowledge of track for rest.
I hear ya. He still was able to race and salvaged points. He used the rules to his advantage.

It's just weird rules compared to all the other sports. Tell me any sport where an injured athlete can get preferential treatment and can still automatically get into the "finals"?

Let's use tennis. If you're number 3 in the world and you tore a bicep, you still have to make it to the finals. You don't automatically just get to compete in the finals. If you're injured, you're injured. Either you compete like everyone else. Or you sit it out and take care of yourself.

IDK...Love Finn, no disrespect.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Did Ric get demoted? Josh Carlson was a much better announcer, especially with Gwin and Rachel.
Yeah, Josh was really good.

And Gwin is like the RC of SX. So much insight, great commentary. I mean, when he knows a certain section has a spring so that means additional moisture and then there's off camber roots?! Heckya. Commentary on my friend!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Then the riders for the extra round would be more tired. I dont know why everyone is trying to invent the wheel anew when we had a good system before.

Also is it only me or does Loic seem tired AF this season? Is it the extra pressure or the extra race dunno but he has way less energy in interviews and seems to complain more about not racing for much longer.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I dont know why everyone is trying to invent the wheel anew when we had a good system before.
This.
It wasn't perfect. But almost every new introduction since Ball/Disco took over has been worse for both the racers and fans.

Podcasters and racers coming up with their own even more complicated dumb ideas really isn't helping.
I find it weird that in a high risk/high consequence Sport like WC DH as a whole it seems like the racers and their teams just don't have enough backbone to even dispute new rule changes.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
But almost every new introduction since Ball/Disco took over has been worse for both the racers and fans.
BS. Juniors live, better for the fans. No stupid pause between the races just so some Joe Schmuck can say he raced and got 60., better for the fans.

Race day schedule IS better now, how they get there can be improved

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You seem to have missed the word "almost"
Yes. Jnr coverage is a great addition.
TWO fucking finals races is definitely NOT better for the racers or viewers.

ONE FINALS RACE! 60 starters. half shown live (with a decent commentator) was superior viewing in every way

Ps. Joe schmuck still got 60th with the shitty format you. and you only prefer.

NOBODY LIKES A SEMI

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
their fault for not qualifying in the first place. better to race tired than not to race at all. last weekend, finn was racing less tired than the rest…
No. that was wild speculation.

Did you miss Danny Hart. Possibly one of the least fit top racer on the scene. Taking the piss out of Wyn saying he gets tired after 4 minutes of exercise.

Our nationals have always been a two race run format, best time from the two runs to count.
Exactly what the man speculating grew up with.

YOU JUST NEED A SNICKERS FFS!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
BS. Juniors live, better for the fans. No stupid pause between the races just so some Joe Schmuck can say he raced and got 60., better for the fans.

Race day schedule IS better now, how they get there can be improved
Better for the fans because you say so? Also you do realize you're literally the only one with that opinion here? Why show Juniors and not people 30-60? Especially when sometimes those are exciting runs but just people who made mistakes. It also allows some juniors who aren't instantly top30 pace to be visible. Just show all of it. It's the age of streaming. There are no limitations. The most important streaming metric in 2024 is average time spent on the app. So more content should be better. Again I'd know as that's literally my main KPI at work.

Seriously though you want to see 30 juniors but not 30 pros when the avg pace for the pros will be higher?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Seriously though you want to see 30 juniors but not 30 pros when the avg pace for the pros will be higher?
I want to see the Juniors. every once in a while a rider like Finn, Jackson, Asa or Valli shows up, and they electrify the field. It's fun to watch them progress.

I'm not really fussed if I miss the 60th to 30th placed elite men. They're generally far enough behind the top-10 that it's almost like watching a different sport. In fact, I generally only start paying attention to the broadcasts once they hit 18 riders to go. If an earlier rider has a breakout ride, they can show it in a replay or something similar. all IMHO.

I was willing to give the semis an honest try, but it doesn't really seem to be adding anything to the sport (other than increasing the injured riders list). I'm happy to go back to the way it was...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Then the riders for the extra round would be more tired. I dont know why everyone is trying to invent the wheel anew when we had a good system before.
Well...they are athletes. I can give no effs to their tired-ness. I just want to give them a chance at the final, cuz maybe mechanical? Crash, flat? badluck, whateves. But the P protective thing? Blah. That's just some rule jackassery.

I agree about reinventing the wheel. But I'm old school. If they want to mess around with the format, I'll give feedback. As a fan. To all 8 of us on this forum :D But the riders and teams will have the real feedback. I'm predicting it won't last long.

In the meantime, I'll be eating popcorn and I'll keep watching, listening, reading, waiting.