Quantcast

UCI rule changes for 2007

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Another thing worth noting other than cost to host UCI race with enough prize $$ and sanction fee...organsers also have to pay for UCI commisers full expenses and salaries etc to be recognised. There is more to it than meets the eye.

There is also a way it seems in new ruling for riders not with 20 points to race and it goes something like this...
There are exceptions.
-Riders in a UCI MTB Team with a maximum of 10 riders for the same format are exempt. (this means UCI trade team)

hi yo

just wanted to point out that you dont have to pay for the comissaires salary or expenses the uci pays for his or her ticket and salary, you only have to get them b&b level accomodations (as per the uci rule book).

i have also looked at the trade team route and its very complicated, requires insurance, proof of contracts with sponsor, etc etc, could possibly be cooked up i guess, but its a lot of hassle.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
For the select few events that already offer prize money the slight additional monetary requirment should not be much of a deterant. That $1470 (btw what currency is this in?, swiss francs, american dollars?). But that $1470 requirment includes prize money for the top three finishers. Some events now offer much more than that in prize money, and pay much deeper than is required.

thats handily translated into USD for you yanks by yours truly.

im also thinking if a race already has some cash payout, then paying around 600usd for uci status cant be that bad as a business proposition...

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
thats handily translated into USD for you yanks by yours truly.

im also thinking if a race already has some cash payout, then paying around 600usd for uci status cant be that bad as a business proposition...

so how much $$$ would it take to do a c1?

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Is this rule across the board for all disciplines?
In the past if you were MTX only you didn't need points-
where would there be enough races in the U.S. to
aquire points before the first WC?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Each trade must have an official, one off (ie: not stock fox/no fear etc), registered jerseys for the team.
Ummm if this is the case they do a pretty terrible job enforcing this rule. For example:

MS- Intense Factory Racing Team - Stock FOX jersey with heat transfer logos

Team MBUK SantaCruz - Stock Fox jersey with heat transfer logos

I believe that there are a few other registered trade teams that do the same thing.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
I was riding to class today and I found 150 uci points just blowing around on the street, 133 points will go on e-bay auction tomoro, probably around 8AM.
i would run 6 autions for 20 points and one for the 13 left overs.

trying to give you a heads up mike.

dondon

Monkey
Vitox, while i do applaud your efforts to get the sanctioning, the point i was trying to make that even for a C1 event you would have to place in the top 5. And here in the US the top 5 would almost always be riders already with 20 points plus or it would consist of a number of foreign riders based here for the season becaose of sponsorship obligations.

So you can see why going to the effort here here seems almost pointless....but if the changed the rule to like 1 point....like it was then it would make much more sense to organise UCI events as more people would benefit.

I have the feeling that this is what will happen or at least some compromise.

http://www.uci.ch/imgArchive/Rules/4mou-E.pdf

On page 35-43 you will see rules regarding trade teams....Not a task easilly accomplished...especially since you get little benefits back in return

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Ummm if this is the case they do a pretty terrible job enforcing this rule. For example:

MS- Intense Factory Racing Team - Stock FOX jersey with heat transfer logos

Team MBUK SantaCruz - Stock Fox jersey with heat transfer logos

I believe that there are a few other registered trade teams that do the same thing.
Not all teams on the circuit are trade teams.

2006 list http://www.uci.ch/ucinet/uci.asp?page=Teams&discipline=mtb&continent=mtb&teamscategory=mtb&teamstype=mtb&ryear=2006&l=ENG

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO

I understand that. The two that I used as examples are in fact registered trade teams. I believe that there are also a few more registered teams that use stock jerseys.

In fact after looking at the rules I am not even sure that you are not allowed to use a stock jersey just so long as you register that jersey with the UCI by February of that year.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
so how much $$$ would it take to do a c1?

class 1 (60 points for the win and pays 20 deep) means:

1100chf/905usd for calendar fee (this means comissaire on your door, whose accomodation you have to provide for)

3550chf/2923usd prize money for elite men (1000chf for the win, down to 100chf for 8th place)

2400chf/1976usd prize money for elite women (800chf for the win, 100chf for 8th place)

@dondon
i can see your point, youre absolutely right, but my line of thought was that its really not that expensive and with a little effort, many very local races could potentially get points, with a few class1 and a good bunch of class2 on the calendar i think lots of racers would be able to get the 20 points required.
anyway it looks like its a moot point and im pretty sure they will backtrack on the 20point figure. 5 or 10 would be a good idea i think.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
class 1 (60 points for the win and pays 20 deep) means:

1100chf/905usd for calendar fee (this means comissaire on your door, whose accomodation you have to provide for)

3550chf/2923usd prize money for elite men (1000chf for the win, down to 100chf for 8th place)

2400chf/1976usd prize money for elite women (800chf for the win, 100chf for 8th place)

@dondon
i can see your point, youre absolutely right, but my line of thought was that its really not that expensive and with a little effort, many very local races could potentially get points, with a few class1 and a good bunch of class2 on the calendar i think lots of racers would be able to get the 20 points required.
anyway it looks like its a moot point and im pretty sure they will backtrack on the 20point figure. 5 or 10 would be a good idea i think.

? 6k seems a lot. its going to be hard for american to come up
with 6k for a C1.

what i was thinking would be a central race for uci points earlly season. charge like $150 entry you would only need 40 riders
to show to get the 6k. i wonder if you could have ONLY riders
who have no points to be able to enter. maybe split the prize
money over like 80 places even. so them people are only racing for points. UCI might no allow that .:pirate2:'s

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
? 6k seems a lot. its going to be hard for american to come up
with 6k for a C1.

what i was thinking would be a central race for uci points earlly season. charge like $150 entry you would only need 40 riders
to show to get the 6k. i wonder if you could have ONLY riders
who have no points to be able to enter. maybe split the prize
money over like 80 places even. so them people are only racing for points. UCI might no allow that .:pirate2:'s
The prize money is included in that 6k figure.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Sorry Mike, I know someone who never even took the check and he's on the other end of this keyboard. They never asked people to give the money back, but it was the right thing to do and I did it.

Sorry Mike, I know someone who never even took the check and he's on the other end of this keyboard. They never asked people to give the money back, but it was the right thing to do and I did it.
Yeah, I never knew the whole story, all I know is what i've heard through others, It would of been cool if everyone else did the same you did, it could of become a yearly deal.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
So, word on the street is this is just a leak, and the official release date isn't until February some time, so it might still change. Apparently there is a lot of opposition :rolleyes: and petitions are flying. Based on what I've heard, don't hold your breath, but don't count your chickens either.
:wait:

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Well here we go,

UCI have released the updated MountainBike rules as of:

MOUNTAIN BIKE RACES
(version on 20.12.06)

http://www.uci.ch/imgArchive/Rules/4mou-E.pdf

No mention whatsoever of requirements for WorldCup racing. So are they waiting until after some uber secret board meeting with the Pope and Chuck Norris and John Tomac to decide?

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the 20 point uci rule has been made official today. Its a bad day for a lot of riders.

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
its ridiculous for us in the UK as well as yourselves.
Im sure we currently only have two races this season that carry points.
I have just had to tell a rider who we were sorting a deal out with that his 8 points are now not enough.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
In Canada we have 5 events that give UCI points, but only 10 deep, and most of the events are after the local World Cups. So indeed, quite pointless. Of course, you can always buy your way into the world cup. UCI trade teams are exempt from this rule - and all you need is the $$$ (about $1200usd), and an official jersey.

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
TBH that is what we did last year to give some fast riders WC experience, all of whom got points but only 2 of them will be able tocompete this season unless we stump up the 1000 euros again. And even then your federation have to rubber stamp your riders to the UCI.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, all the feds here have to do is confirm that you are a licensed rider, and a legit national. All riders are waived through, no issues.

I am waiting to hear back from Orange now, as they simply added my riders to the trade team last year due to an unrelated issue with jerseys in Canada.

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
Well, all the feds here have to do is confirm that you are a licensed rider, and a legit national. All riders are waived through, no issues.

I am waiting to hear back from Orange now, as they simply added my riders to the trade team last year due to an unrelated issue with jerseys in Canada.
hmm hadnt thought of that route, could be a possibility for this season for us due to the bikes we will be using.

dondon

Monkey
The only way (besides placing in the top 5 in a C1event) it seems will be for riders to petition their governing body. It will almost bel ike worlds selection. USA cycling should see which top US riders dont qualify via the 20points rule. And then offer entry to those 6 riders based on current National ranking. However all this needs to be done ahead of time for world cup entries, and they will then need to race in NAtional kit. Quite frankly even though there is all this complaining, their weren't that many US riders that made the effort to race at Mont St Anne when it was open entry anyway.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
hmm hadnt thought of that route, could be a possibility for this season for us due to the bikes we will be using.
email or pm me - i am waiting to hear back from michael.

The only way (besides placing in the top 5 in a C1event) it seems will be for riders to petition their governing body. It will almost bel ike worlds selection. USA cycling should see which top US riders dont qualify via the 20points rule. And then offer entry to those 6 riders based on current National ranking. However all this needs to be done ahead of time for world cup entries, and they will then need to race in NAtional kit. Quite frankly even though there is all this complaining, their weren't that many US riders that made the effort to race at Mont St Anne when it was open entry anyway.
Has this procedure been confirmed yet? As far as I was made aware last time I asked, the trade team would be the only route in besides 20 points. IE: no exceptions.

And I agree, not many americans at ste anne, but with angelfire in the US (apparently???) that could change...

dondon

Monkey
Also for anyone intrested in trade team option, good luck getting it done in time: Less than a month. Also you will need contracts, insurance etc all meeting certain UCI requirements...

From Will Longdon
PLEASE NOTE: there will be no specific rainbow pass request form for the 2007
season. A rainbow pass (accreditation valid for all 2007 UCI MTB World Cup events)
will automatically be produced for each staff member mentioned in the registration
form on condition that you provide us with her/his licence and her/his photo (cf point

2. Collect all other requested documents as follows:
o Letter of approval from the national federation of the country of which the paying agent
has the nationality (art. 4.10.007)
o Colour graphic design of the team jersey (art. 4.10.017). File format: .eps and .jpg.
Resolution: 200-300 pixels.
o Copy of each rider contract (art. 4.10.021, strictly confidential document)
o Licence copy of each rider and each staff member
o Photo of each staff member (rainbow passes). Format: .jpg or .gif or .bmp. Minimum
resolution: 103x103 pixels. How to name each photo : « SURNAME »_ « FUNCTION ».

3. Return SIMULTANEOUSLY the forms and all other documents mentioned above in
point 3 according to the details below:
RReettuurrnn nnoo llaatteerr tthhaann 1155 FFeebbrruuaarryy 22000077 ffoorr tthhee aatttteennttiioonn ooff SSaabbiinnee DDeebboonnss
11886600 AAiiggllee SSuuiissssee -- ffaaxx ++4411 2244 446688 5588 1122 oorr eemmaaiill :: ssaabbiinnee..ddeebboonnss@@uuccii..cchh

Non conforming files (incomplete forms or missing documents) will not be considered.
We thank you in advance for your understanding concerning the simultaneous return of the
different documents which will greatly make easier their handling and therefore your
registration.

4. Payment of the registration fee (art. 4.10.016).
Please note that the payment of the registration fee is not sufficient to register a team.
The file and the payment really go together. We will refund any team that would have paid the
registration fee without having submitted any file within the allotted time. On the other hand
we will refuse the registration of any team which would have submitted a complete file without
having paid the registration fee during the allotted time.

Payment information
Payment deadline : 15.02.2007
Amount non-EEC countries :
(including fight against doping tax) CHF 1'500
Amount EEC member countries :
(including fight against doping tax) € 1'000
Way of payment : Electronic bank transfer
Imperative indication : Team name

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Actually I thought the US turnout was decent at Ste Anne, there were just as many as us Canadians.
Going to be a lot less of both after this goes into effect...... too bad.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Also for anyone intrested in trade team option, good luck getting it done in time: Less than a month. Also you will need contracts, insurance etc all meeting certain UCI requirements...

From Will Longdon
PLEASE NOTE: there will be no specific rainbow pass request form for the 2007
season. A rainbow pass (accreditation valid for all 2007 UCI MTB World Cup events)
will automatically be produced for each staff member mentioned in the registration
form on condition that you provide us with her/his licence and her/his photo (cf point

2. Collect all other requested documents as follows:
o Letter of approval from the national federation of the country of which the paying agent
has the nationality (art. 4.10.007)
o Colour graphic design of the team jersey (art. 4.10.017). File format: .eps and .jpg.
Resolution: 200-300 pixels.
o Copy of each rider contract (art. 4.10.021, strictly confidential document)
o Licence copy of each rider and each staff member
o Photo of each staff member (rainbow passes). Format: .jpg or .gif or .bmp. Minimum
resolution: 103x103 pixels. How to name each photo : « SURNAME »_ « FUNCTION ».

3. Return SIMULTANEOUSLY the forms and all other documents mentioned above in
point 3 according to the details below:
RReettuurrnn nnoo llaatteerr tthhaann 1155 FFeebbrruuaarryy 22000077 ffoorr tthhee aatttteennttiioonn ooff SSaabbiinnee DDeebboonnss
11886600 AAiiggllee SSuuiissssee -- ffaaxx ++4411 2244 446688 5588 1122 oorr eemmaaiill :: ssaabbiinnee..ddeebboonnss@@uuccii..cchh

Non conforming files (incomplete forms or missing documents) will not be considered.
We thank you in advance for your understanding concerning the simultaneous return of the
different documents which will greatly make easier their handling and therefore your
registration.

4. Payment of the registration fee (art. 4.10.016).
Please note that the payment of the registration fee is not sufficient to register a team.
The file and the payment really go together. We will refund any team that would have paid the
registration fee without having submitted any file within the allotted time. On the other hand
we will refuse the registration of any team which would have submitted a complete file without
having paid the registration fee during the allotted time.

Payment information
Payment deadline : 15.02.2007
Amount non-EEC countries :
(including fight against doping tax) CHF 1'500
Amount EEC member countries :
(including fight against doping tax) € 1'000
Way of payment : Electronic bank transfer
Imperative indication : Team name
Well, it isn't super hard from the information they sent us last year. Any factory affiliated trade team will have the insurance automagically through their liability insurance. The cash and properly worded contracts will be a pain in the ass though with 2 weeks to go!