Quantcast

UCSC trails closed?

Icantdrive65 said:
There are novices riding all kinds of bikes. I see plenty of ripped up trails on steep downhill runs as well as the milder trails. I'm just saying we are all in this together. There is no need to point fingers. I actually avoided UCSC today even though those are my favorite trails. That was a bummer.
This is true. Although I do know this one guy that locks up his rear brake around every tight turn and unclips. Try riding behind him on a dusty trail :think:

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
Icantdrive65 said:
There are novices riding all kinds of bikes. I see plenty of ripped up trails on steep downhill runs as well as the milder trails. I'm just saying we are all in this together. There is no need to point fingers.
No way. anybody that rides with fairy tights skids on the trails. anybody that rides a dh bike doesn't. Yeah! in your face! San Dimas High School Football Rules!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Has anyone seen those shirts around town that say "Surfing Sucks, Don't try it" ?

There should be more forum's like this one started throughout the E-biking community.

In fact, someone should write all the major Mountain bike publications, warning people not to come and ride in santa cruz, or their bike will be taken, and they'll face hard time.

ON a more serious note, a buddy of mine got a ticket riding MB today, Instead of taking the feild exit to empire grade, he rode out into wilder. The fuzz was standing right there waiting for him, and wrote him a fat ticket. To make matters worse, they surched his Camelback, and found a pipe, and some weed, so he got a ticket for that too!

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Originally posted by Icantdrive65
I see plenty of ripped up trails on steep downhill runs as well as the milder trails.
The ripped up downhill runs are from the XCers who tried to ride the runs :eek: :blah:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
bikeninja said:
i've got one that says 'mountain biking, sucks don't try it'
Where did you get that? That's sweet.

This sucks because I really want to ride, I haven't in a few weeks. I've done a lot of roadie stuff and I really want to get back on dirt. Stupid rangers. Did they just decide to crack down on bikes all of a sudden?

Weak. Who's up for some Wilder shuttle runs?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Even if you think XCers are tearing up the trails (may or may not ne true, definitely not a safe generalization) it's dumb to tell some ranger that to his face right after he was,

A. Cool to you by NOT giving you a ticket when he could have
B. Expressing his distaste for DHers

Not a smart move, reminds of something I would have said when I was a kid who still thought he coud beat the system like that. :rolleyes:

The Kadvang said:
I hate bicycle riding... scooters are where its at these days anyway... anyone wanna buy a Sunday?
I'll trade you my pimp ass scoot for it :love:
There was a scootz comp and a skatepark here last saturday, I was going to go to take pictures and stuff but I had other sweet stuff to do.

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Originally Posted By Icantdrive65
Don't start. I guarantee we wouldn't have this much trouble if the DHers weren't building on public land. The place has gotten too high profile.
Yeah I agree about the building thing. And I was joking about the XC comment I made.

Raacerx

Monkey
Icantdrive65 said:
It's cool. I just hope this blows over. I wonder if there is some way to negotiate trail usage. I mean, this is Santa Cruz! Let's start a revolution!
better to just let everyone know there are rangers and its not cool to ride there and hopefully things will die down like they always do. I havent ridden out there in weeks and dont plan to for awhile.

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
santacruzer87 said:
Thats against the law if you don't let them look thru your camel back they can't.

-Ryan
probable cause. don't know if Rangers have that authority but that's what i assume he used as justification. and yes, it's retarded but it is a law.

Whoaohohohoh

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
santa cruz
rangers have all the enforcement abilities that a normal police officer would.... just an FYI for everyone.

If they see you doing something illegal, like riding a trail they have a right to search you if they suspect something.....

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
Whoaohohohoh said:
rangers have all the enforcement abilities that a normal police officer would.... just an FYI for everyone.

If they see you doing something illegal, like riding a trail they have a right to search you if they suspect something.....
seriously, I wonder about that. For instance, if the police pull you over for a traffice violation, they do not have the right to search your car - but they can make you feel that they have that right. So, I wonder if they really do have the right to search your camelbak without permission. I don't see how riding an illegal trail equates to probable cause to search your person or belongings. It'd be nice if someone with actual legal knowledge could chime in on this - might be important to someone down the road.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
grundy said:
seriously, I wonder about that. For instance, if the police pull you over for a traffice violation, they do not have the right to search your car - but they can make you feel that they have that right. So, I wonder if they really do have the right to search your camelbak without permission. I don't see how riding an illegal trail equates to probable cause to search your person or belongings. It'd be nice if someone with actual legal knowledge could chime in on this - might be important to someone down the road.

because you may have picked wild mushrooms, or tried to take some of the endangered Beetles with you. They need to protect the beetles, it gives them all the rights they need to search your camelbak.

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
grundy said:
my dad is a cop, but hes out of town right now. ill ask him when he gets back :thumb:

Whoaohohohoh

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
santa cruz
GiantRider said:
It would be nice to have some legal knowledge on this topic, ive been looking around for laws on tresspassing in state parks and what little info i have found is very vague.
Its vague and broad for a reason....so that anything you do can be put under a variety of laws. I work down at Wilder ranch and recently went on a ride along with a ranger, at the time he didn't mention anything about bike enforcement, which was 2 weeks ago, and I specifically asked him questions regarding bike enforcement.

Next time i go in, next friday I will see if I can find him and ask him what is going on, although he might not say anything.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
anybody ride today, if so did you see any rangers or :oink: ? I got in three long rides out there this week and all was quiet as usual. Just curious to see since this was the first HOT saturday and I was down at the river and there was TONS of cars all up 9. I stayed of the trails though jsut to be safe.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I get the impression that the fuzz will be in effect all summer. I will still be out there but staying quiet and alert.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
just got back from a couple loops, no heat but I did see a lot of medium size sticks layed across the trail and then on sweetness I saw an older guy hiking with a walking stick ahead of us. I stopped and waited a few minutes for him to get a ways down and low-and-behold there was more sticks across the trail and somehow he magically disappeared. Anyway, at least no rangers and the dirt is prime....

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
Holy Crap, i think i might have seen that guy today, except he was way creepy. i was hiking up Magic and this old guy with no shirt on was standing on the side of the trail brushing his teeth. he had a bunch of backpacks with him. actually, he is probably one of those hippie/bum dudes that has a tent/house thing in the woods. anyway it was weird seeing him brushing his teeth on the side of the trail.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
since you were only a few minutes behind us at that point I bet it was the same dude. I couldn't figure out where he went it was seriously like he just disappeared. :confused:

schnarf

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
SC
Probably not the best thread to post this on, but I usually ride the UC trails so I thought I would address this crowd. I rode Braille today and someone got there window broken and a bunch of stuff stolen around mid-day. They were parked out on the road (not the dirt parking lot). Just an FYI.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
IronJim said:
yea i dont like hippies. there starting to move in above my house and i want them gone. i think im ganna have to bring in the po pos on this one :blah: :blah:
I don't know. Think about the irony. We like to ride trails that are "not officially recognized" and we complain when the rangers crack down. Now you want to call the cops on people who need some place to live. Don't take this as an attack. I understand your concern, but I'm just looking at it from a slightly different angle. What if teeth-brushing man runs to the rangers to report mountain bikers because we disturb his hiking? Now if the hippies start encroaching by coming onto your property, etc it's on.