Quantcast

Ugh... weather = mud race

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
It's suppose to rain cats and freakin dogs for a week and a half. Then I have a race and I know its going to be muddy as sh!t.

Anyway, on with why I made this post. Back in the day Continental made a tire called the survivor pro. Knobby as hell with giant spaces between knobs. Would grip on anything but mud wouldn't stick to it. Apparently they have discontinued what I thought was perfection for a bad conditions. Now that make some futuristic looking bullsh!t called "the Edge". Anyone used this tire? Is it any good? Is there anything better or equal that doesn't cost $50 a tire? Don't post anything that doesn't shed mud cuz the ground here is clay and wet clay on a tire that doesn't shed well slowly turns a wheel into a 26"/12lb mud bagel.

All I can find is the Continental Edge or the Hutchinson Spider or the Kenda king of traction which is $55 (only going to use these tires once-twice a year). ANyway, Edge and Spider both look ok but not what Survivor Pro use to be (pictured).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Muddy as ****=don't race. Even if I enjoyed tearing up trails I do not enjoy tearing up my bike. Cassettes, chains, rings, brake pads and derailleur pulleys all can easily get trashed in mud under race efforts. Stay home and drink beer.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
XC race or CX race??
XC

Looks like the Edge is going for a paddle effect, but has the directional "arrows" to track well. For the real slopfests it might work better than the Survivors.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Muddy as ****=don't race. Even if I enjoyed tearing up trails I do not enjoy tearing up my bike. Cassettes, chains, rings, brake pads and derailleur pulleys all can easily get trashed in mud under race efforts. Stay home and drink beer.
Though I totally agree with you... I have been training for this race so I am NOT skipping it. I will say this if it's looks like it's going to be a sloppy wet race, the drivetrain on the beater is going to get swapped in and trashed instead of my brand new stuff... you can count on that.

As for damaging the trails, nothing I can do. The race will go on with or without me. Our trails are very sturdy though, riding in the rain doesn't really cut into 90% of them. Thre is one open section that isn't really part of a trail and I know that will turn into the slop, it's a climb too :(

Last edited: