Quantcast

Uh, don't ask R.C.

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
there is perfectly good reason for dc"s a on hardtails. anyone whose ridden lynn woods knows. but where talking an oblivious jackass who gives a......................

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by slowride

"Along came a Spider: Looking for a cross-country bike that climbs well and can handle all-day epic rides? R.C. cuts through all the hype and comes up with the right bike."
Those little sentences are so friggin' retarded! That reminds me of the one from March or April 2003 where it says something like, "He needed a bike that could drop off cliffs between races, and costs less than $3500. RC nailed it by suggesting..."
It doesn't take a genius to "nail it." In fact, any idiot with a slight knowledge of the industry could suggest a $3500 downhill bike.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
What is the point of e-mailing Ask RC and waiting a long time to possibly get his semi-worthless opinion, when you could just call your favorite bike shop and get an instant reply?

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
Originally posted by Tully
What is the point of e-mailing Ask RC and waiting a long time to possibly get his semi-worthless opinion, when you could just call your favorite bike shop and get an instant reply?
or eihter that get more opinions from making a post on ride:monkey:

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
U dude over here has spotted a number of similarities in different articles.

He wrote a letter to RC, no answer yet:

Dear Mr. Cunningham

I have bought your pubilcation here i Oslo, Norway several times, although it costs about 10$. Now, I'm really curious about one thing

In your February 2002 issue you test the Turner XCE:

The byline reads R.Cunningham, and one note on "Descending" is: "The rear wheel tracks the ground, even if the rear tire is skidding, which redefines the concept of late braking into corners".

Then, comes December 2003 you test the Turner 5-spot:

This time there is no byline, but the same note on "Descending": "The rear wheel tracks the ground, even if the rear tire is skidding, which redefines the concept of late braking into corners".

Exactly the same scentence!

Another recycled phraze is "The [name of bike]'s [deg.] head angle is purposely on the slack side to add stability in technical situations, and to keep the Turner's steering predictable at higher speeds. Both attributes are clearly evident and give the Turner pilot a "bring it on" attitude when rock drops or sketchy chutes loom ahead".

There are other striking similarities as well.

In the XCE article, you refer to the Burner, which the XCE succeded (briefly). In the 5-spot article, a similar note on the RFX appears.

My question?
1) Who wrote the test of the Turner 5-spot?
2) Who approved the article?
3) If a forigner who buys the magazine infrequently can spot the similarities, why could none of the editors?
4) Why has the XCE test disappeared from the website?
5) Will you print this letter and a plausible explenation? Will you reply to this e-mail and tell me which issue the reply will be printed in? It's difficult to get hold of the magazine here...

Sincerely,

Arve Søreide
Oslo
Norway

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I'm dating myself here but back in the day when the Manitou EFC was a DH fork with 3" travel, I owned a bike made by RC's company, Mantis -- the Mantis Pro-floater, supposedly one of the baddest-ass of the badass bikes of the day.

But it sucked harder than the suckingest sucks that ever sucked. My friend's Kona Sex (remember that?) was a zillion times better, so it wasn't just outdated tech -- it was fundamentally bad design and I was a fundamentally idiotic consumer for buying it. I went back to hardtails for 5 years after that.

Originally posted by Tully
Because if you live where I live and ask the LBS guys q's, you would, 9 out of 10 times, be walking out with a King headset, santa cruz frame, raceface northshore dh crankset, and the most expensive helmet on the face of the earth, no matter what your budget is.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by nicklin
Because if you live where I live and ask the LBS guys q's, you would, 9 out of 10 times, be walking out with a King headset, santa cruz frame, raceface northshore dh crankset, and the most expensive helmet on the face of the earth, no matter what your budget is.
Yeah, there's also a shop like that near my house. Fortunately, I've gotten savvy enough (and poor enough) that I never completely trust the guy who works there.

By the way, you ought to cite For Whom the Bell Tolls (Metallica) for the quote in your signature thingy.

nydave

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Orange Co. NY
Back to RC. His articles in the Feb. MBA Tech sections are pretty darn good. I got to admit though that some of the answers in "Ask RC" are pretty funny sometimes.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Q. RC, I am purchasing a Bighit Expert this year but don't want to get rid of my '96 Stumpjumper M2FS comp. The bike is in good shape but lacks in the way of the new tech developments over that last few years. I would like to upgrade the Gripshifts to the new LX or XT shifters, same goes for the brakes. The problem is that I don't know if my XT rear hub will mate with the new 9 speed cassette? Obviously the rear derailleur would need to be swapped as well, does anything have to be done to the front derailleur?
chris.malden@sasktel.net - 3/10/2004 9:19:48 PM

A. Chris, Keep your Stumpy and buy a Specialized Enduro to go bumping and jumping. RC

did he miss the question entierly?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So it's better to write and get a crackpot answer based on whimsy and whatever product is advertising most in MBA that month, instead of advice based on personal experience of the shop guys?

Not saying shop guys aren't interested in selling you stuff to make profit (or pushing whatever happens to be on the sales floor), but they also don't want you back on their doorstep complaining that something broke. And they still can't force you to buy stuff that's outside of your budget...

This is why salesmen of all sorts aren't always the best places to get product info. Good ones are, but they're few and far between.

MD

Originally posted by MikeD
So it's better to write and get a crackpot answer based on whimsy and whatever product is advertising most in MBA that month, instead of advice based on personal experience of the shop guys?

Not saying shop guys aren't interested in selling you stuff to make profit (or pushing whatever happens to be on the sales floor), but they also don't want you back on their doorstep complaining that something broke. And they still can't force you to buy stuff that's outside of your budget...

MD
If by personal experience you mean a bumch of 15 year-olds who has never heard the word velo-news, if you mean the roadie old guys who never heard of FSA, if you mean the guys so much in allegiance to Santa Cruz bikes that they will convince you that you will die riding an Iron Horse, then no I will not trust them.

I think RC deserves a lot more credit than some of us give him. No one is perfect.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If by personal experience you mean a bumch of 15 year-olds who has never heard the word velo-news, if you mean the roadie old guys who never heard of FSA, if you mean the guys so much in allegiance to Santa Cruz bikes that they will convince you that you will die riding an Iron Horse, then no I will not trust them.

I think RC deserves a lot more credit than some of us give him. No one is perfect.
My point was that both of them could be pretty suspect...it came across differently...but that the shop guys could at least be held *somewhat* accountable for what they tell you. Also, the idea of 'forcing' someone to buy something out of their budget made me laugh. "No! NO FSA HEADSET FOR YOU!" They're salesmen, and will push their most expensive product, duh.

Personally, I'm with you...I don't use an LBS. Haven't found but 2 occasions where they were helpful.

However, that's 2 more times than RC has made sense. I found it rare (when I read MBA) to find even a coherent, relevant answer to a question in that column.

MD

Originally posted by MikeD
My point was that both of them could be pretty suspect...it came across differently...but that the shop guys could at least be held *somewhat* accountable for what they tell you. Also, the idea of 'forcing' someone to buy something out of their budget made me laugh. "No! NO FSA HEADSET FOR YOU!" They're salesmen, and will push their most expensive product, duh.

Personally, I'm with you...I don't use an LBS. Haven't found but 2 occasions where they were helpful.

However, that's 2 more times than RC has made sense. I found it rare (when I read MBA) to find even a coherent, relevant answer to a question in that column.

MD
Mike, I'm not trying to dispute your point. The truth is though, that R.C.'s column in MBA magazine, not the website, are actually quite helpful when it comes to XC products. He can diagonose problem on a mechanic point of view for FREE when he hasn't even seen the parts that are in questions of, and if you actaully read the magazine, and if you are a pure xc rider, his advices strike me as some what helpful. But i tun my deaf ear to him when the discussion turns to any bike with a fork of 5+inch travel.
Nick
:)

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Hilarious. I like this week's headline: "Bush to American Unemployed: Get a Job!"

I'm a huge Onion fan.....and the Brits think us Muricans lack clever sarcasm. Hey, maybe RC is taking the piss?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow, that was one of the first Onion articles I ever read...it was a classic, and a huge hit with my military friends, along with "Clinton Deploys Very Special Forces to Iraq."

MD

dankk

Chimp
May 9, 2004
vt
after all this time i thought it was just me-r.c really does suck and i'm glad other peaple realize it as well!!!:thumb:oh r.c i think walmart is having a sale on barbasol so stock up guy,cause your legs can never be smooth enough:blah:

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Have any of you seen R.C.s latest?

Q: What do you think about the Haro 8.3 as a stunt/jump bike?

R.C.: If you are into hardtails, the 8.3 is a perfect jumping bike. Youll need to upgrade the fork to a beefier, longer stroke type, like the marzocchi 888, before you start launching north shore type stunts.

HAHA

also, someone asks about how to set up the suspension on their 03 yeti asx, and rc tells them how to set up the fork with SPV, even though the fork that comes stock on 03 ASXs is the breakout with TPC+. He shouldnt assume the rider has the breakout plus.

R.C. is only one reason why I will let my subscription to MBA expire, and I will switch to a decent mag like decline. ;)

Originally posted by WheelieMan
Have any of you seen R.C.s latest?

Q: What do you think about the Haro 8.3 as a stunt/jump bike?

R.C.: If you are into hardtails, the 8.3 is a perfect jumping bike. Youll need to upgrade the fork to a beefier, longer stroke type, like the marzocchi 888, before you start launching north shore type stunts.

HAHA
well, let's see. R.C. was definitely right about the haro 8,3 being a good dirt jump bike, I've tried it for street situations and it's very nimble.

and then on the other hand, he is not completely wrong about the long travel fork for the shore type stunts, why do you think kona and norco are slapping on 6-inch travel DC forks on their DT's for the hsore. granted, a 888 woould be overkill. But he has the generally right idea.

on the second one, did the reader tell him which fork he was running? if he doesn't tell RC, is RC supposd to be Ms Cleo to know which fork is on there?

yeah, let's all jump on the wagon and point out the instances where RC's wrong and conclude he is a jackass:rolleyes:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
The only reason I read ANY Mountain Bike Magazine is because it's about...
MOUNTAIN BIKING. I read every publication I can get my hands on.
Especially during the winter months here in Colorado when you cant ride because it's snowing. I go thru withdrawls without being able to Ride.
So If I can't Ride, I might as well either buy Videos and watch in Envy or Read every mountain biking publication I can get my hands on!

I guess the Key is to take what you can use from the magazines and leave the rest.
I do.

:D

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I am still amazed by the fact that people actually go to the trouble of writing and sending an e-mail and waiting months for a response, when the question was along the lines of, "How much air pressure should I run in my shock if I weigh 180 lbs?" I do like MBA's reviews, but you definitely have to wade through a lot of stupid editorialization, not too mention the fact that, as we all know, anything made by Intense, Santa Cruz, Foes, Ellsworth, or Turner will always get a perfect review.

However, I do have a couple suggestions for them, having read their review of the 2003 AS-X, and an issue a few months later:

1) Fix your scale! They said that the AS-X with the factory build kit (with a Sherman single crown) weighs about 42 lbs, which is ridiculous.

2) In the review, they repeatedly griped about the AS-X weighing so much (which was obviously a mental thing, because it really doesn't), yet a few months later, they praised it as one of the best freeride bikes on the market.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Oh, I once saw a question along the lines of
"I want to buy my boyfriend a new DH bike, as he is just getting into the sport"
R.C. answered: "Get him the $6,000 Foes Fly. That is a great DH bike."

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Q. I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A LE TOY III FROM 24BICYCLES WHITCH HAS A BMX BOTTOM BRACKET, I ALSO PURCHASED A SET OF PROFILE DJ CRANKS. RIGHT NOW IT IS NOT BUILT UP BUT IT WILL BE AS SOON AS I GET MY MAIL ORDER PARTS. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU GUYS KNOW OF A WAY I COULD RUN TWO RINGS AND A BASH GUARD WITH AN LRP CHAIN TENTIONER, WITHOUT USING A MTB ADAPTER. I TRIED TO CONTACT MTNSPEED VIA EMAIL BUT TO NO AVAIL. MAYBE YOU GUYS HAVE SOME INSIDE INFO ON THE SUBJECT I ALSO HAVE A FEW FREINDS OF MINE WITH THE SAME STYLE BB.. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A BETTER GEAR RANGE THAN JUST 8SPD WITH A SINGLE RING. HELP US PLEASE. PS I LOVE THE MAGAZINE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK I WOULDNT CHANGE A THING. AZ BURTON BROOKLYN NY
AZBKNJBX@AOL.COM - 12/2/2001 9:18:57 PM

A. AZ, Buy a standard crank adaptor at a Pro BMX shop and switch over to a TruVativ crankset (low buck--good crank). That should solve your problems. A standard Chain idler should fit once you have a screw-in bottom bracket in the adaptor. RC

"WITHOUT USING AN MTB ADAPTER."
just grind out the hole on the iscg adapter, and press the bb cup over the adapter.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
hucker13 said:
Oh, I once saw a question along the lines of
"I want to buy my boyfriend a new DH bike, as he is just getting into the sport"
R.C. answered: "Get him the $6,000 Foes Fly. That is a great DH bike."
The said boyfriend wrote to MBA in a later issue and said that she actually bought him a bike (but I thought he had recommended the $3000 Mono frame, not the complete bike).

By the way, I think RC has possibly the worst haircut I've ever seen. :stosh:

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Definitely--it was probably $6000+ by the time he built it up. That's way more than my bike, and a lot of others', as well. On the other hand, racing beginner class on a custom Foes Mono gives the other racers plenty of license to call him a poseur!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Q. Q: I ride an '04 Specialized S-Works Enduro with the Brain shock, and I'm thinking about getting an ID cartridge from Stratos for the Fox TALAS fork to make the bike feel more even, but I'm afraid it's going to feel unnatural and I'm worried about being able to preload it for jumps. What do you think? Also, the XTR brakes have given me nothing but trouble, they don't give me nearly as much power as I need, and they get really hot. I'm either going to get some Saint calipers, or I could get some 8” rotors, but that wouldn’t solve the reliability issues. I'm primarily a cross-country racer and I'm worried about modulation for either choice. I weigh 170. Thanks!
Trenton/mbaction.com - 3/29/2005 7:06:35 AM

A. RC: Switching to a larger diameter rotor will help cool your overheating problem and will give you more stopping power too. Addling the Stratos inertia-valve damper to the fork will keep your Enduro riding level through the turns and boost the pedaling platform. DT/Swiss makes an adaptor that will allow you to upgrade to any bolt-type rotor, but you'll need a riser adaptor to get the XTR caliper to fit the larger discs.

D

d-sop

damnit. then why the hell do i subscribe to mba? how does one subscribe to decline?