Quantcast

[UK] Schools drop Holocaust lessons to avoid offence

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Well I must say I'm outraged at this. Not paying enough attention to history is what caused Britain to lose WW2.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I like how the article tippietoes around "certain races or religions." Who COULD they be talking about??

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I like how the article tippietoes around "certain races or religions." Who COULD they be talking about??
Pretty soon they will be asking jews to report to the train stations.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
PC bull****.

Did you know the phrase 'politically correct' was originally an insult from the right towards certain more retarded lefty policies?

Unfortunately today something quite scary has happened. It has become an accepted phrase with its own life and serious usage. The real problem is it contains the word 'correct' and as it is used it is often implied that the object of the phrase is actually the 'correct' thing to be doing. In reality most PC stuff, like this is bloody stupid, societally detrimental and annoying as hell.

Next time someone tells you seriously that something is being done because it is politically correct, kick them in the nuts and remind them of the origin of the phrase.

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
combine this with them banning red pen for marking (somewhere in the u.s. i think), and what do you get? stupid kids who, instead of getting a failing report card, get nothing, so as not to discriminate against 1., the kids who get bad marks, and 2. those of us not fortunate enough to have mailboxes.

that is outrageous. what the ****. i remember in washington, at the holocaust museum, the message being shoved down my throat was "always remember". turns out someone hasn't been taking notes.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am offended that anyone would be offended by something as offensive as the attempted extermination of an entire race. Why, the very idea is, well, offensive.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
PC bull****.

Did you know the phrase 'politically correct' was originally an insult from the right towards certain more retarded lefty policies?

Unfortunately today something quite scary has happened. It has become an accepted phrase with its own life and serious usage. The real problem is it contains the word 'correct' and as it is used it is often implied that the object of the phrase is actually the 'correct' thing to be doing. In reality most PC stuff, like this is bloody stupid, societally detrimental and annoying as hell.

Next time someone tells you seriously that something is being done because it is politically correct, kick them in the nuts and remind them of the origin of the phrase.
Holy Sh!t, I agree with Changleen for once! Mark your calendars...

But seriously, I also think it's a bullsh!t move on the Brits' part. Treat them nice and omit certain historical events and maybe they won't attack our troops overseas, bomb our embassies, or kidnap our citizens anymore...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
To come back to the original article, it was teachers avoiding the subjects, not the government requiring them to do so.

Anyway, when are the schools in the US going to start teaching kids about the Armenian Holocaust?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
To come back to the original article, it was teachers avoiding the subjects, not the government requiring them to do so.

Anyway, when are the schools in the US going to start teaching kids about the Armenian Holocaust?
Don't think anyone said otherwise. Whether that makes it slightly more or less insidious is debatable. It's still terrible, whatever the cause.

As for Armenia, I think it should be taught...but it's simply a matter of poor people very far away being killed without much publicity or direct involvement of US people. If US soldiers had uncovered Turkish death camps, you can bet it'd be better-known here and taught in primary schools. I'm sure the Turkish government isn't advocating the US to teach it in schools, but neither is there some larger conspiracy to suppress it. If you seek out the info, it's there, and in higher education, widely known and available. And if a grade-school or high school teacher wanted to teach it, I can't see anyone being able to prevent it.

This slight diversion from the topic does nothing to support your larger theory that the dangers of Islamic extremism are a Bush/PNAC-driven boogeyman.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Don't think anyone said otherwise. Whether that makes it slightly more or less insidious is debatable. It's still terrible, whatever the cause.

As for Armenia, I think it should be taught...but it's simply a matter of poor people very far away being killed without much publicity or direct involvement of US people. If US soldiers had uncovered Turkish death camps, you can bet it'd be better-known here and taught in primary schools. I'm sure the Turkish government isn't advocating the US to teach it in schools, but neither is there some larger conspiracy to suppress it. If you seek out the info, it's there, and in higher education, widely known and available. And if a grade-school or high school teacher wanted to teach it, I can't see anyone being able to prevent it.

This slight diversion from the topic does nothing to support your larger theory that the dangers of Islamic extremism are a Bush/PNAC-driven boogeyman.

While we're digressing, have you heard of "Team B"?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Team B? That's the encoded public name for the The Pentaverate: The Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothchilds and Colonel Sanders.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't know if it's a myth or not, but supposedly, if you put a lobster in a pot of cold water and gradually heat it to a boil, it doesn't experience trauma...it just dies without knowing what's going on.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know if it's a myth or not, but supposedly, if you put a lobster in a pot of cold water and gradually heat it to a boil, it doesn't experience trauma...it just dies without knowing what's going on.
You gotta put them on ice, slow cooking just makes it worse:

How can you minimize the movement of a lobster when its placed in a cooking pot?

There are several methods purported to "put lobsters to sleep" so they don't twitch their tails when cooked. These include hypnotizing, slow heating, and chilling/icing. Experiments at the University of Maine determined that:

- Boiling in the traditional manner causes a lobster to begin activity in 5-10 seconds and continue for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes.
- Hypnotizing the lobster by holding its head down and rubbing it nearly doubles the length of time it moves.
- Slow heating in salt water from room temperature results in increased activity when the water reaches a temperature of around 30°C/86°F. This activity lasts 2-3 minutes and then subsides.
- Pot steaming seems to reduce the activity of lobsters. However, lobsters at the top of the steam rack may still be alive after 20 minutes when large numbers of lobsters are being cooked at once unless the steam is retained in the pot.
- Chilling/icing before cooking, by placing the lobster on ice or in a freezer (but not freezing it) delays the onset of activity about 30 seconds and reduces the duration of movement to about 20 seconds.

Researchers believe the best way to minimize the lobster's movement time is to chill/ice it before dropping it in water that has come to a rolling boil. Hypnotizing, slow heating, and steaming increase the length and duration of activity during cooking.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Frogs too; put a frog in a pan of cold water and slowly bring it to the boil and the frog will stay in. Drop a frog into hot water and it will jump out.

Unless there are little garlic-flavoured snacks in there in which case the temperature is irrelevant.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
You gotta put them on ice, slow cooking just makes it worse:
If you ever deal with a 5-7 lb. lobster.....make sure you have

a.) a pot big enough
b.) a heavy lid
c.) someone who is not afraid to get burned by hot water...or a hot lobster...
d.) a 3lb. sledge hammer. A little messy...but gets the job done.

Apparently, these bad boys have been around the block and will NOT go down without a fight. I found this out the hard way. There is now a dent in the floor (that will forever smell like old lobster) in our friends' place in Chattam....

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Giant lobsters don't usually taste good. Its like driving a Escalade - big, bland, boring, and expensive.
Jah. That's what I had always believed...but these were two of the best lobsters I've had. Ever. Succulent.

There was a shortage of 1-2 and 3-4 pounders, so the price was sky high ($12-$14/lb.)on 'em last summer (...so we grabbed two 5.5 pounders for what amounted to a steal....something like $7/lb.)Thought they were going to suck. We were wrong.

Back on topic: Peeps be trippin'. Eat more lobster.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jah. That's what I had always believed...but these were two of the best lobsters I've had. Ever. Succulent.

Back on topic: Peeps be trippin'. Eat more lobster.
Well there are many species:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster#List_of_clawed_lobster_species

Whenever I've had large lobsters they've always tasted worse than the smaller ones. I think I mostly have had Homarus americanus — American lobster. I may have once had rock lobster (not sure of species) but I don't really recall if I ever had one.

Mentions the fastest/best way for optimum flavor - the electric chair for lobsters:

In 2006, British inventor Simon Buckhaven invented the CrustaStun, which electrocutes lobsters with a 110 V electric shock, killing them in about five seconds. This ensures a quicker death for the lobster. Seafood wholesalers in Britain already use a commercial version. A home version measuring about 46 cm width and depth came into the retail market in late 2006 for about GB£2000.
New marketing campaign for this product - Lobster sez, "Please taze me, Bro!" :D

http://crustastun.com/

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Well there are many species:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster#List_of_clawed_lobster_species

Whenever I've had large lobsters they've always tasted worse than the smaller ones. I think I mostly have had whatever the common maine lobster variety/species is. I may have once had rock lobster but I don't really recall.

Mentions the fastest/best way - the electric chair for lobsters:
Oh the possibilities!!!!!

Yeah, I think we got lucky with the big guys. They were fresh outta the sea, so that might've helped.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Oh the possibilities!!!!!

Yeah, I think we got lucky with the big guys. They were fresh outta the sea, so that might've helped.
Yeah fresh and quick kill helps.

I think a stun gun would be similar effective and way cheaper than that thing. Just need to find a plug-in model if you cook a lot of lobsters...