Quantcast

Ullrich and Basso are out of the Tour.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Heidi said:
This whole thing sure makes the US look rosy though. I mean, our only guy on "the cheat list" we already caught two years ago and have punished. Ohhh if that was only the truth.
Yeah I'm sure the US has its OWN doctors that specialize in this stuff. No reason for our guys to go overseas the special sauce.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There was a great Outside magazine article about a middle-age athlete who gets on the full program: hgh, epo, testo. Great results too, but then he just "quits".

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
sanjuro said:
There was a great Outside magazine article about a middle-age athlete who gets on the full program: hgh, epo, testo. Great results too, but then he just "quits".
Yep, I read that and loved that article. I'm pissed I threw the issue away when we moved. :redhot:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Heidi said:
Yes, I think so. It's just sad because they got caught yet you know others are doing it as well, just not getting caught!
I agree. It's really gotta suck to see your peers out there racing knowing that they are as guilty as you but they just didn't get caught.

Still chaps my hide that people cheat, but I guess that's human nature. (Especially when a few million bucks are concerned)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
They aren't replacing Lance - they are going with 3-4 riders who can produce and after the first week they will see who shines the brightest.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
N8 said:
So why should anyone watch the Tour this year at all now...???
Dude, it's wide open now. There are a bunch of different guys that can win. That makes it more interesting IMO. Still sucks that all those guys got the boot though.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
...Breaking News...Breaking News...Breaking News...

:eek:

Armstrong back from retirement
From cyclingnews.com

PARIS, France -- Retired Tour de France 7-time champion Lance Armstrong is coming out of retirement after being asked by the UCI to compete in this year's Tour de France following the drugs scandal.

Armstrong said "Look, I've won this race 7 times before and I think I can go for number 8. Besides, with the debacle of the drugs and doping scandal the Tour needs some positive news and I believe me coming out of retirement will help".

Armstrong went on to say post Sheryl life and watching NBA finals matches was really quite boring and his missed the camaraderie of his Discovery team and the love of the French press.

Robbie McEwen, the ego-driven Australian sprinter on the Davitamon-Lotto team, was pleased with the news. He was looking forward to following up on his 2002 promise of filling Lance's mouth with his fist.

splat

Nam I am
Latest Odds with the bookie now looks really interesting

* Alejandro Valverde (ILL) -7/2
* Alexandre Vinokourov (Wur) -7/2
* Levi Leipheimer (Ger) -7/1
* Floyd Landis (Pho) -7/1
* Cadel Evans (Dav) -10/1
* Yaroslav Popovych (Dis) -12/1
* Paolo Savoldelli (Dis) -20/1
* Andreas Kloden (T-M) -20/1
* Michael Rasmussen (Rab) -25/1
* Denis Menchov (Rab) -25/1
* George Hincapie (Dis) -25/1
* Iban Mayo (Eus) -25/1
* Jose Azevedo (Dis) -25/1
* Christophe Moreau (Ag2) -33/1

If they let him Ride I have been saying Vino since the spring !

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Heidi said:
Yes, I think so. It's just sad because they got caught yet you know others are doing it as well, just not getting caught!
Bingo. It's not so much that they got caught, it's that so many others haven't gotten caught.

An equal playing field - that's what we're all shooting for here.

splat

Nam I am
Mancebo's Done !

cycling news said:
Mancebo ends career

Francisco Mancebo, former leader of French team AG2R, will put an end to his career as of today. The rider's name is on the list of the Spanish doping investigation; he will not ride the Tour de France and his team suspended him.

"When I attended the team's meeting on Friday morning, I already knew what was waiting for me," said team manager Vincent Lavenu. "After breakfast I knew everything. Mancebo told me then: I'm gone, I'm stopping.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
sanjuro said:
You're absolutely right. They must be innocent because they have no proof, and drug use is so rare in the peleton.

From the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/30/sports/othersports/30tour.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1151679704-5eRFqr2taxaAFqWWz+KA8w
People sure are passing a lot of judgments on me as well as the riders. I haven’t once said that they are innocent nor have I said they are guilty I’m just pointing out that there has been no mention of absolute evidence of blood doping for some specific riders. Even your article quotes drugs not blood but i have to admit i stopped reading when i hit the word EPO which is not what these guys are being accused of AND at best that's all it is at this point for some of the riders, an accusation.
If Lance was kicked off his team every time someone pointed their finger at him, he’d of never gotten off the start line.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The Toninator said:
People sure are passing a lot of judgments on me as well as the riders. I haven’t once said that they are innocent nor have I said they are guilty I’m just pointing out that there has been no mention of absolute evidence of blood doping for some specific riders. Even your article quotes drugs not blood but i have to admit i stopped reading when i hit the word EPO which is not what these guys are being accused of AND at best that's all it is at this point for some of the riders, an accusation.
If Lance was kicked off his team every time someone pointed their finger at him, he’d of never gotten off the start line.
That's where I'm saying there is obviously something pretty damning inthe evidence the team directors saw to pull Basso. He claims it's because it would be too hard on Basso to try to defend himself, be hunted by journalists and photographers, and yet try to still ride and win. I call BS. No rider would throw away dreams of winning the TdF like that.

splat

Nam I am
Heidi said:
That's where I'm saying there is obviously something pretty damning inthe evidence the team directors saw to pull Basso. He claims it's because it would be too hard on Basso to try to defend himself, be hunted by journalists and photographers, and yet try to still ride and win. I call BS. No rider would throw away dreams of winning the TdF like that.
I Agree completly , That amy Riders unless there is something pretty damming , they are not all going to just up quit. Especially since this is the Big one the TdF . Then Basso with a Chance to do a Giro/Tour Duo, be one of the few, No way would he just up and walk that easily.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Heidi said:
I agree. For Riis to pull Basso out, he would have to have been guilty as hell according to the evidence.
I am a huge tour fan and this $hit is just heartbreaking to me.
I could not wait for an Ullrich, Basso dual this year.
Damn.
The French are really gonna hate it if another American wins their race year. Landis, Leipheimer, Hincapie, that would be sweet,
but regardless this is gonna suck, and is just horrific for cycling.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
N8 said:
So why should anyone watch the Tour this year at all now...???
To watch two Americans duking it out for the top spot on the podium and to see how the fans react to all of this. Otherwise, it's just going to be a full-on soap-opera on wheels.

I must admit I was shocked that Armstrong's name wasn't mentioned...or maybe they're saving the best for last?:think:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I forgot to mention that the sport of cycling will never die.

Racing, on the other hand, is in serious critical condition. If this doesn't get things cleaned up then nothing will. This is easily the make-or-break situation that racing has been heading towards.

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
I hope they kick so many riders out of the tour that they end up with a bunch of crappy riders who bonk before the top of the first climb.