Quantcast

UMF Hardy Steel #TEAM for Street learning, for newbie

DrKilroy

Chimp
Jul 4, 2010
Moscow
I live in Moscow (dirty, rude and corrupted city), but anyway, I’m biggest fan of bikes, and I’m learning street right now, I start learning street when bought my first bike, UMF Hardy #TEAM 2009, it was really big mistake - buying dirt bike with bad geometry, but when I was bought this bike, I didn't know which style I’ll choose, Dirt, street or Trial.

Now finally I choose style - it will be only street, and second good news, I level Russia, and I will live in Spain half a year and I would like to buy a new bike to learn street ride style in there.

Unfortunately I will be far away from Barcelona and Madrid, and this makes some troubles buying good bike for street, because in place where I will live, selling only DH and Triathlon bikes.

So that's why, I’ll need to buy bike here in Moscow.
But the prices for popular brands like Black Market, Eastern, Mutant bikes components, Inspired and others, are double or triple high then normal in Europe :(

Only bikes which are selling in here, it's NS Holy 1 for ~650 Euro, and UMF Hardy Steel #Team for ~950Euro, but my price for UMF, will be 770 Euro, because I’m friend of person who selling bikes in shop.

And I was wondering if UMF Hardy Steel #TEAM, not so bad for Street and I can use it long time.
Its 26, very low weight I think, for 26 bike with 100mm fork, 2 brakes, heavy handlebar - 13.6kg.
It’s his spec:
SPECIFICATION
CATEGORY Dirt Jump
FRAME 2010 new Hardy Steel
SIZE 13"
COLOR Teamgrьn
TUBE nahtlos gezogener DB Rohrsatz
MANUFACTURING geschweiЯt
MATERIAL Full Cr-Mo
REARSHOCK
REARTRAVEL
FORK Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1
FORK TRAVEL 100 mm
FRONTWHEEL AXLE 20 mm
BB SET Truvativ Howitzer
BRAKELEVERS Hayes Stroker Trail
BRAKES Hayes Stroker Trail, 160 mm
CHAIN KMC D101 Silver
CHAINGUARD
CHAINWHEEL Truvativ Luftalarm 33 Bash
DERAILLEUR FRONT
DERAILLEUR REAR
FREEWHEEL 13T
HANDLEBAR UMF Steel
STEM MJ UMF-998M
HEADSET FSA IS-3E Integrated
HUB FRONT D661SB
HUB REAR Jump Pro disc NT
PEDALS Wellgo B065
RIMS Alex Supra 34
WHEELSIZE 26"
SADDLE Velo VL-7081 Pivotal
SEATCLAMP
SEATPOST Pivotal 27.2 mm
SHIFTER FRONT
SHIFTER REAR
SPOKES PSR14
TIRES FRONT Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4 60tpi
TIRES REAR Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4 60tpi
WEIGHT 13,6 kg

Some photos (ignore black version of this bike, because it's 14.7kg in total, on 26 frame with 24 wheels :S):

Maybe you can say some words about this bike and its geometry.

FRAME SIZE CT 13"
FRAME SIZE IN MM CT 330
TOP TUBE HORIZON IN MM AH 580
SEAT TUBE IN MM C 298
DROP OUT INNER WIDTH 135
CHAIN STAYS IN MM D 400
HEAD TUBE ANGLE Q1 70,25
SEAT TUBE ANGLE Q7 68,6
BOTTOM BRACKET DROP IN MM H 24
BOTTOM BRACKET WIDTH IN MM 73
WHEEL BASE IN MM W 133,5
FORK OFFSET IN MM F 40
HEAD TUBE LENGTH IN MM L 110
FORK LENGTH IN MM G 473

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i had not heard of UMF until now. the bike looks good though. checked out the website. looks like they have a big lineup of bikes.

DrKilroy

Chimp
Jul 4, 2010
Moscow
i had not heard of UMF until now. the bike looks good though. checked out the website. looks like they have a big lineup of bikes.
I like almost everything in this Hardy Steel TEAM bike, it looks amazing, very cool, i think it's hand-draw frame, like helm:

"UMF - Handmade Team helmet ´2010 by ALPINA - with RUN system

New UMF helmets, made by ALPINA, with the RUN size fitting system.
Dirt and Freeride helmet in Inmold technology, Combining best protection with various adjusting possibilities. With the weight of 255g, the helmet is on of the lightest Dirt Helmets on the market!

Features:
- with Scribble design
- Alpina Airtime shell
- InMold technique
- 6 Airf-Flow vents
- CE EN 1078 certified
- pads for the right fit

Size: S/M (52-57 cm); L/XL (57-61 cm)
Weight: 255g
Color: Handmade Team green"

But i worry about frame geometry and it's durability.
And it's a bit hard to learn and make 360 tricks like tail whip, because when you stay on bike, and move your front handlebar (wheel) left or right for 360, it's coming almost near parallel pedals, I mean the space between pedals very low, almost 1-2 sm. so my feet will always touch wheel :'(
I'm not sure that I’m making tricks like this but if i stay on flat ground, and just moving wheel on 360 left-right I got this problem.

Uff it was hard to explain with my English, but I’m sure you understand what i mean.

I just made a picture:

So, just wonder, what you think about frame geometry for street and other components on this bike.
And interesting why did they made this handlebar with middle tube and so height?
Never ride with something like that, maybe it's really comfortable.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . I mean the space between pedals very low, almost 1-2 sm. so my feet will always touch wheel :'(
. . . .
And interesting why did they made this handlebar with middle tube and so height?
Never ride with something like that, maybe it's really comfortable.
that toe clearance issue between the front pedal and the wheel is not unusual on dirt jump mtb's--especially when they combine a slightly steeper head angle with a shorter top tube. but i personally prefer more clearance. my blackmarket mob 22.5"tt, i have around 3 inches clearance between the pedal and tire. and that's with 180mm cranks and big pedals. with the bars turned around, the closes the tire comes to the pedal is about an inch.

maybe if you want to be doing a lot of tricks like barspins, tailwhips, the version with 24"s might be good.

the handlebar looks like maybe a 3.5" rise?? once mtb bars get over about 3.25" tall, there is more stress on the bends and a crossbar, like bmx cruiser style, will make the handlebar stronger. whether you want low bars or taller bars is just personal preference.