Quantcast

Unchained dogs BIG dogs!

Asuna

Chimp
Apr 13, 2008
Yesterday we were on a big hill climb ride. first dog was a black lab. He was tripping out a bit with foam and such. To I threatened to kick him in the face and he backed up.

Dog 2 was a HUGE German Shepperd. A little more sketchy for sure. So the owner got him to back up. My last resort is a knife I carry but hell I dont want to kill a dog. . . ..

Just wondering what you guys do. I know pedaling fast is the best way, but try that on a 60 degree hill climb.

I am thinking about homemade pepper spray (I am Canadian) I guess the dog can go blind?? so either a homemade concoction that well make him back off or what?

Hints/tips/advice. .... please. :monkeydance:

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
It's unwise to try to outrun a dog, even though that's usually your (and my) first instinct. The best thing to do is get off the bike, put the bike between you and the dog, and talk to it in a calm voice. The theory is that they don't recognize that you're a human on that bike. They just see something going by really fast, and their instinct is to chase it down. Squirting them in the face with your water bottle is a good way to break their focus/concentration on chasing the bike. I've heard of people hitting them with their bike pump, also, when it came to that. I used to carry pepper spray with me (legal in NY), but I never actually used it.

It is scary though.... I had a confrontation with a German Shepard a few weeks ago. He came around the bike (which I'd gotten off), touched his nose to my leg, and then went back to his yard. When I proceeded to get back on the bike and try to ride away, he came after me again. There was no owner in sight, so I didn't know what to do. A car came up on us, the driver saw what was going on and blew her horn at the dog, and it finally went back to the house and left me alone. Very scary, for sure!!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If it is a halfway trained dog screaming 'NO' will stop a bunch in their tracks or give you enough time to get moving.

If you're going up getting off and facing the dog is probably your only alternatively. Always face them and back off. Usually you can get out of their territory and they go about their business. If you turn your back and try to leave they will keep coming.

Asuna

Chimp
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah my bro had 2 put bulls after him, he said if he was on his MTB and not his trek road bike he would have been done. . .. .

Homemade pepper spray FTW.

Asuna

Chimp
Apr 13, 2008
Are stray dogs a regular problem in the area?

A squirt in the face from your water bottle might do the trick.
Yes they are. Small town in canada. You have all the hillbillies with their guard dogs running around. Its all good for them if someone is on their property, but when your on a public roadway it becomes a completely different matter.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
At my shop we carry a product called "halt" its like pepper spray for dogs. I've never personally used it, but some customers swear by it.

I was just going to reccomend that, or Bear spray as well would work well. Also a cheap air horn will have good results

Without any product like a pepper spray, get off your bike, put the bike between you and the dog, this is for safety, if the Dog charges, you can use the bike to helop stop them. Anyways, this is what I learned back in teh day, when I was in a training class with my first dog, you need to treat them like a pack animal, pack mentality, ETC. Talk to the dog, no cutsy voice, but a elevated, stern, I am in charge voice. Be dominant and try as best you can to not show fear. Like someone else said, most dogs are halfway trained, so a good loud stern, STOP, or NO will usually work well.

If all else fails, and the dog charges you in an attack mode. stay calm, try to keep the bike between you and the dog, if you have a water bottle handy a squirt in the nose works well, dont kick the dog, they will take you off balance if you do that, use your arms, if you have a pump, a whack on the nose will usually send them running, If you dont have anything a good punch to the nose will suffice.

Hope this helps.

Asuna

Chimp
Apr 13, 2008
I was just going to reccomend that, or Bear spray as well would work well. Also a cheap air horn will have good results

Without any product like a pepper spray, get off your bike, put the bike between you and the dog, this is for safety, if the Dog charges, you can use the bike to helop stop them. Anyways, this is what I learned back in teh day, when I was in a training class with my first dog, you need to treat them like a pack animal, pack mentality, ETC. Talk to the dog, no cutsy voice, but a elevated, stern, I am in charge voice. Be dominant and try as best you can to not show fear. Like someone else said, most dogs are halfway trained, so a good loud stern, STOP, or NO will usually work well.

If all else fails, and the dog charges you in an attack mode. stay calm, try to keep the bike between you and the dog, if you have a water bottle handy a squirt in the nose works well, dont kick the dog, they will take you off balance if you do that, use your arms, if you have a pump, a whack on the nose will usually send them running, If you dont have anything a good punch to the nose will suffice.

Hope this helps.
Good post man helps alot. Thank you.

Nice post about the halt stuff as well.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I had a dog hit my rear wheel at about 25 mph the other day. He was small and bounced off, just causing me to skip a little. Had he been 18" earlier, I would have had a hell of a wreck. I like dogs a lot, but if they continue to chase me, I'm spraying them or getting off and kicking the sh*t out of them. As much as I dig them, I refuse to have one take me out. As far as bites, I don't worry. I only worry when they chase me on fast stretches. It's not so much the chase, but the interceptions they always try. I also find that a hearty "get home!!!" works wonders for me.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I used to ride that hill everyday, it was 2km from my house.
It was hard in good conditions and downright sketchy when the rain turned the mud/cow **** into grease. Fortunately I was only being chased by dutch tourists in outdated rabobank kit.