Quantcast

Updating A Classic

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
I'm going to try to help my buddy bring his old school Schwinn back to life. I'd REALLY appreciate some guidance please!

I believe it's all Shimano M5 Light Action with shifters mounted on the frame. He wants to bring it into the modern age with handlebar shifters and all. Can we keep the original gears and derailleurs and just get new cables and shifters, or does it all have to go? Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
if it's 8 speed you may have a tough time finding new brifters (shifter/brakes). buying used 8 speed may not be worth it in the long run. maybe look into 9 speed, you may find some NOS stuff there and at least you'll be further up the food chain

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
if those are original parts to the bike then his rear spacing for newer cassettes is going to have to be fixed. newer spacing is 130 so he should find a local frame builder to cold set the rear stays to the newer size. he could try to do it himself, i'm sure there are vids on Youtube to show you how, but it's best to have someone with the knowledge do it. once that's done he can use 8 speed and up if he wants brifters. like i said earlier, finding 8 speed stuff may be tough, but if he looks on ebay you never know.