Quantcast

Uppers

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Found out this weekend that my upper body strength really hindered me from charging hard continously on the rough stuff..

Here's my scenario, I get sore on my shoulders and forearms (kinda like arm pumps but not really). I don't grab on my brakes too much so the strain is not caused by glueing my finger on the brake lever... I just get tired of holding on at high speed, high impact rocky/rough sections.

My question is, is it lack of strength on my wrists/arms area or upper body in general? I like to do a focused strengthening workout without hiring Marla Streb's coach like she suggested me to do... Any thoughts...?

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Had this same discussion with Tom at Wobblenaught today. Suggested that my reach from my shoulders to my bars needs to be short enough such that my wrists bend slightly forward when I ride. Also just talked about staying loose and thinking about keeping the body’s center of gravity lower and more forward.

Writing this, it seems kind of nebulous, but made since when I was standing there chatting with him….:shrug: I also had a goal of working on core strength with the abs and back which may also help.

O.K. I'm done talking out my azz now :D

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
I know your pain! What has helped me though, are the pullups, pushups, and dips instead of weight training. For long duration activities like mt biking (DH or XC), your muscles need to be more in-tune to endurance. A set of 50 pushups or 20 pullups instead of 8-10 reps of flat dumbell press. It's all personal preference, but do you see what I mean?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Do some Rock climbing. Seriously go to a Gym and you will have a safe place to fall if you are boldering. It increases your hand strength for holding on to the grips and you are constantly doing pullups and what not in all kinds of different directions. I have to admit i havent been in a while but i used to ride better to when i did go.

Work sucks. Need more time.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
I noticed my arms did feel a lot less strained when I gained more strength. I have just been doing normal weight lifting as mentioned above. Also I think riding trials is a very good workout for it and it has given me the most improvement.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
thanks guys..... I am aware of the high reps benefits over low rep heavy weight combo... I have been doin lots of push ups before the season started and it has definitely paid off. I felt so much stronger than last year.... tho, after I severely sprained my right wrist and separated my left shoulder, push-ups and pull ups are a no-no......till to this day... Maybe over the winter break, I'll religously get back to it again..

but thanks for the input, I'll just suck it up when my arms pump!:) :dancing: :nope:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Oh man.... as long as we are on this topic...
I started lifting between last season and this one, and let me tell you, the difference is HUGE.
And I'm not even all that big.

I find that I can get through the rock gardens a LOT easier.
I don't get thrown around as much.
Can't wait to see what happens if I keep it up!!

Oh... and it was cool meeting you and Side-show luke perry at N*.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
BB
yeah, it was nice to meet you too... too bad we didn't get to ride together....but that's cool, you ddin't get to see me walk sections at N*...:)

Next topic: How to just go for the JUMPS...:(