Quantcast

UPS guy commith!

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Looks like I will be building up my new Look sooner than later. I just got my new Dura-ace components in today! All I am missing is a rear brake and cassette. Then I will have a complete bike! I will post a picture of it when it is built. But don't make fun of my flat pedals...I am not alowd to clip in just yet :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Motionboy2
Looks like I will be building up my new Look sooner than later. I just got my new Dura-ace components in today! All I am missing is a rear brake and cassette. Then I will have a complete bike! I will post a picture of it when it is built. But don't make fun of my flat pedals...I am not alowd to clip in just yet :)
HA - a road bike with flats? That's pretty funny.

Yes, post a pic when you get it built.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Heidi
HA - a road bike with flats? That's pretty funny.
It is for a medical condition you see.. I have doctors orders... :D

I am going to take a pair of Speedplay frogs to the doc tomorrow to see if he thinks that I could use them. They don't have a spring so there should be no resistance.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
It couldn't get her at a better time. I am so tired of the trainer.. Though I am catching up on all the small bike vids that I have downloaded in the last couple years :)

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Wahahahahahha... OMG - flat pedals... hehehehe... :groan:
Oh, that reminds me. What are the lightest flat pedals out there? I need a set for climbing and are there any that are better than other pedals for road cycling?
:devil: :p

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oh, that reminds me. What are the lightest flat pedals out there? I need a set for climbing and are there any that are better than other pedals for road cycling?
Well... now that use ask. :devil:

A friend of mine went in for major surgery on both knees - prior to surgery he used frogs - for 6 months after he used flats with those grippy straps (forget what they are called but I'm sure several companies offer them).

He could climb worth crap for a year or better. :(

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah, I don't expect to be much of a climber anytime soon. Right now I can climb steps but they still pose a problems sometimes.

I went to the doc today and they xrayed me so I got to see all the TI hardware that I have now. Not to much but still it is pretty cool to see.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Sweet Josh. Glad to hear you're doing well on the recovery front too. I am STILL riding flats and in July it will be a full year since surgery. I keep saying I want to go back to clipless, just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this weekend. I've gotten so used to the flats, but I still miss being clipped, I tire so much less. I think maybe it's a psychosomatic thing...

congrats on the bike.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by spincrazy
Sweet Josh. Glad to hear you're doing well on the recovery front too. I am STILL riding flats and in July it will be a full year since surgery. I keep saying I want to go back to clipless, just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe this weekend. I've gotten so used to the flats, but I still miss being clipped, I tire so much less. I think maybe it's a psychosomatic thing...

congrats on the bike.
A year huh!? I hope it isn't that long! I talked to the doc and he said I could start clipping in on the road in 2-3 months. I guess that isn't too bad. :think:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Serial Midget
No. Its the truth. :monkey: You just spin better clipped in.
DUH.:monkey:

I just haven't gotten back to it, and that's probably psychosomatic. I would hate to test the twist factor of the knee ligament with an inopportune get-off, or in this case not quite off...

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by spincrazy
DUH.:monkey:

I just haven't gotten back to it, and that's probably psychosomatic. I would hate to test the twist factor of the knee ligament with an inopportune get-off, or in this case not quite off...
Yeah, I was thinking about the frogs initally because the dont' have any springs to hold you in, but now I am thinking I may try out the Zero's on the road bike when it comes time because you can set them to release at any angle. we will see how I am feeling at the time.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Lightest flats in order of bling.

$$$$$Shimano DX flats ($100+)
$$$Diamond Back Magnesium sealed ($60)
$$Azonic Magnesium unsealed ($40)
$Redline sealed alloy ($35)

I have had the DX's for almost 4 years and beat the crap out of them on countless different bikes. They are still golden mechanically albeit a little beat up cosmetically. I highly recommend spending the extra $, it is worth it in the long run. First thing to do though is instal the longer (supplied) set screws, the ones that come in the pedals are too short to grip well.