Quantcast

US Grand Tour

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
...as if riders weren't already feeling pressure to dope. 27 stages :shocked:

Do these people know what it's like to ride a grand tour? This thing has multiple 250-mile stages. Maybe it's flatter, maybe, but still. It's double the length of the Tour de France! Well, it's America: Bigger Longer, and Uncut. :bonk: Let's hope they don't drug test, lest they want nobody to finish.

http://www.velonews.com/race/dom/articles/13387.0.html

:ban:

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I think that would be awesome. Although it would be cool if they went into Socal, and went up the PCH to San Fran.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It almost seems like a joke to me.
The length
The number of flat stages (boring)
Riding in the desert
Riding against prevailing winds
Prologue at ground zero
11 million purse
Same time as the Vuelta and several other long standing races.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I just noticed no ridding in CO, or WV WTF is the point? Mountain stages FTW. Who wants to see a flat 27 day stage race?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
There is no confirmation that the site is even legitimate and velonews admits as much. Irresponsible reporting if you ask me.

<edit> I guess the company did confirm plans, and will announce today...but the site isn't theirs.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I think it would be great to happen but it seems a bit far fetched. Why not start with something a bit more small scale? I sure as hell wouldn't want to race through some of those states in September. HOT!

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Yeah I think Rt.66 start to finish would be the way to go. It would be about the same distance as the tour. I plan to make that ride sometime soon, so it would be killer to actually have a stage race on it.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I saw this too, and thought no CO? WTF?

They should really make it a west coast one year, east coast the next or something.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The number of flat stages (boring)
I just noticed no ridding in CO, or WV WTF is the point? Mountain stages FTW. Who wants to see a flat 27 day stage race?
This is my biggest issue. Fvcking pussies are bypassing the CONTINENTAL DIVIDE.

How do you not ride through Colorado? I can understand not riding to Oregon cuz you have to hit CA. And didn't they choose the easiest/flattest route around the Applacian mountains?

Flat race for the loss.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I saw this too, and thought no CO? WTF?

They should really make it a west coast one year, east coast the next or something.
Yeah like Start the Prologue in Vancouver, and loop down to Socal, PCH all the way, and end up in Montana would be a killer ride. Going through Colorado for sure though.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
...I can understand not riding to Oregon cuz you have to hit CA...
I am an Oregonian and resent that...CA sucks, hit Oregon!! They could even come through Oregon to 101 and go down the coast to CA, problem solved

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I am an Oregonian and resent that...CA sucks, hit Oregon!! They could even come through Oregon to 101 and go down the coast to CA, problem solved
If they're going east-west, I'm just saying you have to hit the population centers.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I think it would be great to happen but it seems a bit far fetched. Why not start with something a bit more small scale? I sure as hell wouldn't want to race through some of those states in September. HOT!
Starting small scale is what the ToCalifornia is doing, as they've mentioned plans to make it a grand tour.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
"In some sense, it may be overboard. It may be [swinging] for the fences," he said. "But then again, hey, this is America. That's what we do. We want big. We want powerful. We want wonderful. We want grueling."
Riiiight. The Tour isn't at all grueling, it's a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys sipping wine with their pinkies flaunted. :rolleyes:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Riiiight. The Tour isn't at all grueling, it's a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkeys sipping wine with their pinkies flaunted. :rolleyes:
Hell yeah it is! Anything the frenchies do we can do better!! :) Big, better, more dope!