Quantcast

US Natl's

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
his hand is busted up...almost went down to watch but we went riding at massanutten and bryce instead...
How was your experience at Massanutten this weekend? I was out there with @jackalope Friday and they closed the lifts due to threat of a storm and lightening at 230pm. The storm missed the resort and it was sunny by 330 or so. By then, the entire staff had closed up shop and left. No effort to reopen (lifts supposed to run til 7pm), no rain check, nothing. I was perplexed that a typical summer pop up storm closed the resort for the day--basically if that is their policy I don't see how they can function during the summer as there is always a fucking storm somewhere.

I like the trails out there (although there has clearly been zero maintenance of the world cup track) but if that is how they are going to run things, I won't be back anytime soon. Real bummer. I guess I should be thankful that Beech and Baileys are basically equidistant.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How was your experience at Massanutten this weekend? I was out there with @jackalope Friday and they closed the lifts due to threat of a storm and lightening at 230pm. The storm missed the resort and it was sunny by 330 or so. By then, the entire staff had closed up shop and left. No effort to reopen (lifts supposed to run til 7pm), no rain check, nothing. I was perplexed that a typical summer pop up storm closed the resort for the day--basically if that is their policy I don't see how they can function during the summer as there is always a fucking storm somewhere.

I like the trails out there (although there has clearly been zero maintenance of the world cup track) but if that is how they are going to run things, I won't be back anytime soon. Real bummer. I guess I should be thankful that Beech and Baileys are basically equidistant.
You can pretty much set your watch around the daily thunderstorms out there. Every day during the summer you are going to at least have the threat of a thunderstorm in the early afternoon. I am guessing bailing early is probably just standard procedure for fuck this shit Friday.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Ah......"bike parks in the US"

Every single one of them earns their mediocrity in their own special way.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I am guessing bailing early is probably just standard procedure for fuck this shit Friday.
This was my read. A bike park exists to facilitate (and profit from) the FTS Fridays of me and people like me. Ergo, they don't get to FTS on Friday. Fycking blows my mind.

I think a big issue is that excepting Baileys, most of the people working the small parks in the southeast are local yokels who give zero fycks about bikes. Compare to a "real" park where the lifties are there working to facilitate their own riding--and hopefully care about the experience of other riders.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This was my read. A bike park exists to facilitate (and profit from) the FTS Fridays of me and people like me. Ergo, they don't get to FTS on Friday. Fycking blows my mind.

I think a big issue is that excepting Baileys, most of the people working the small parks in the southeast are local yokels who give zero fycks about bikes. Compare to a "real" park where the lifties are there working to facilitate their own riding--and hopefully care about the experience of other riders.
Weird. Harrisonburg has a pretty solid riding scene, I would have thought there would be plenty of enthusiasts available. The park is new so maybe the pure gravity thing hasn't really gotten traction. So many amazing trails out that way that a small trailbike is all that is necessary. Biking ain't a cheap sport these days, it is also likely that anyone who can afford multiple types of bikes has no interest in dead-end summer jobs schlepping for sweaty tourists.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

It was my first time there, I thought it was mostly terrible. Those flow trails they built should never have been built on that mountain, that area should be natural stuff only...Rode creamy and crunchy first and wanted to leave. Then went over to WC rode that twice, it was blown out but not so bad...Then we got to that far left trail 'All or Nuttin' or something? I F'ing loved that trail, hit that for the rest of the day...Natural, some rock, some steep, and loamy might be the word to describe it...They should keep gravity logic the F*** away from that place...I won't go back unless I hear they beef up that side of the resort.

Bryce was cool, good for a one day trip...Again wish there was more natural and less built stuff.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
You choose wisely. Never go watch someone else do something you can do yourself.
Had the same thought, plan was to go to snowshoe this weekend to ride until we realized the whole place was shut down for nat champs...Had it in my head it was next weekend.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the part with the most east coast rox, lower hareball, is super fun when you're gettin down with the single crown :D
just a good mix of elements, looks challenging to ride, which is the way it should be. too many bike park tracks determine who the "best in the us" is.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I thought 29'ers roll over shit easier?

If each one of these weight weenies added 3/4lb to their bike with a dropper post, none of them would have endo'd. After a wreck your body and mind will slow down, slowing down your race results. Maybe the finish line is right there, but it would have saved them a minute on their finish time.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
If each one of these weight weenies added 3/4lb to their bike with a dropper post, none of them would have endo'd.
No dropper could have saved those guys at the pace they were riding. The only dude who managed to negotiate that section in one piece kept his momentum and rolled over the rocks. The rest of them just chickened their asses out, grabbed too much brake and ended up eating dirt.

At the pace they were riding, their only chance would have been Macaskilling their way down.