Quantcast

US Natl's

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The XC trails at Snowshoe were famous in the early/mid 90s for their technicality. Most of the trails were in the dark woods on grey+green rocks+mud... not out in the open like they are above. We'd drive 5 hours just to ride xc for the weekend in that tech. We rode all around the resort, from the silvercreek side all the way to the far side of the ridge. From what I remember, the pro/expert course was more technical than this in spots and we were mostly on fully rigid or front-sus bikes with no droppers.

I have the old trail map around here somewhere. It was color coded and we used to try to target the most technical spots and route ourselves over that direction.

Great memories of that time.

Years later, raced DH on the "NORBA" course... that used portions of what you see above ^^^ also fun times.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah I remember that old NORBA XC course, lots of guys with bikes on their shoulders...I know the 'Wild Zone' which was part of national champs was also part of the old NORBA track. We were standing there when Cedric came through and threw a middle finger to everyone off the drop. Like anything that section doesn't look bad on camera but it is pretty gnarly to hit that drop into that ski lift turn/line.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah I remember that old NORBA XC course, lots of guys with bikes on their shoulders...I know the 'Wild Zone' which was part of national champs was also part of the old NORBA track. We were standing there when Cedric came through and threw a middle finger to everyone off the drop. Like anything that section doesn't look bad on camera but it is pretty gnarly to hit that drop into that ski lift turn/line.
Yup. I feel like that wilzone drop was wilder back when... now it looks like folks are going off the side. I don't remember that being an option.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jr x. If xc is anything like dh a good number of them go straight to pro once they're 18.
I think there are a lot more kids racing DH than XC. When I was dork racing there usually weren't enough jr entrants to even fill the podium. In VA they have just started a developmental program and started High School leagues. Most of the kids they get typically are the ones that don't fit in other sports. I have a few friends that are teachers that coach some of the teams. They get a lot of ADHD types and kids with discipline problems, the ones with big engines are there because they were too uncoordinated to play stick and ball sports. Basically the Jamaican bobsled team.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Junior expert at snowshoe circa 1995 mid Atlantic cup series was about 15-20 deep... first place in that category was a set of Kreitler red rollers. I can't remember what I got... Floyd Landis was also racing in Pro on a Mountain Cycle Moho hardtail and took first.