Quantcast

USA Cycling - where's the love?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Just read USA Cycling's latest communique. They (usa cycling) sent 6 cyclo-cross juniors over to Belgium for a camp to prepare them for the upcoming Worlds later this month. Now I tried to find more detail on who actually paid for the trip, but for all intents and purposes of the communique, it sounds like USA cycling fit the bill. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Normally I'd be all for something like this (especially as there are 2 kids from CO). But wait...what about DH? Didn't some of "our" juniors have to sell blood and plasma to get down to the worlds? Where was USA Cycling then? Never mind just going over for a camp! Don't know if anyone can offer more light on why the preferred treatment or what the deal is?

Is cyclo cross bigger than DH? I no longer keep tabs on the skinny tire world.

Below is an excerpt. Go here for the full deal.

Izegem, Belgium (January 4, 2010) – Over the holidays, USA Cycling sent six young cyclo-cross riders (three juniors and three U23) to Belgium to acclimate themselves to the deep talent pools of western Europe in preparation for the world championships at the end of this month.

Those six - Danny Summerhill (Centennial, Colo./Garmin-Felt-Holowesko), Zach McDonald (Bainbridge Island, Wash./Stevens-Classic Cycle), Jerome Townsend (Princeton, Mass./Bikereg.com-Joe’s Garage), Matt Spinks (Layton, NJ/Team Dual Temp), Skyler Truijillo (Fort Collins, Colo./Black Sheep Junior Cycling), and Jeff Bahnson (Newark, Del./Thule-Van Dessel) – participated in the 7th annual Euro ‘Cross Camp at the USA Cycling National Team House in Izegem, Belgium from Dec. 18 to Jan. 4.

With the American ‘cross season culminating at the National Championships in December, the six-week hiatus from racing presents a hurdle to Americans looking for strong World Championship performances at the end of January. For this reason, USA Cycling sent riders to the Euro Cross Camp, where they can hold their form and continue training until the UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships in Tabor, Czech Republic, Jan. 30-31.

“Our hope is that by using this camp as a way to acclimate to the rigors of racing cyclo-cross in Europe, where the U23 and junior fields are deeper and many of the courses more challenging, these riders will arrive at Worlds better equipped to produce a podium result,” explained USA Cycling’s National Mountain Bike and Cyclo-cross Development Director Marc Gullickson.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
so who didnt vote in this years usa cyclings elections?

Just read USA Cycling's latest communique. They (usa cycling) sent 6 cyclo-cross juniors over to Belgium for a camp to prepare them for the upcoming Worlds later this month. Now I tried to find more detail on who actually paid for the trip, but for all intents and purposes of the communique, it sounds like USA cycling fit the bill. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Normally I'd be all for something like this (especially as there are 2 kids from CO). But wait...what about DH? Didn't some of "our" juniors have to sell blood and plasma to get down to the worlds? Where was USA Cycling then? Never mind just going over for a camp! Don't know if anyone can offer more light on why the preferred treatment or what the deal is?

Is cyclo cross bigger than DH? I no longer keep tabs on the skinny tire world.

Below is an excerpt. Go here for the full deal.

Izegem, Belgium (January 4, 2010) – Over the holidays, USA Cycling sent six young cyclo-cross riders (three juniors and three U23) to Belgium to acclimate themselves to the deep talent pools of western Europe in preparation for the world championships at the end of this month.

Those six - Danny Summerhill (Centennial, Colo./Garmin-Felt-Holowesko), Zach McDonald (Bainbridge Island, Wash./Stevens-Classic Cycle), Jerome Townsend (Princeton, Mass./Bikereg.com-Joe’s Garage), Matt Spinks (Layton, NJ/Team Dual Temp), Skyler Truijillo (Fort Collins, Colo./Black Sheep Junior Cycling), and Jeff Bahnson (Newark, Del./Thule-Van Dessel) – participated in the 7th annual Euro ‘Cross Camp at the USA Cycling National Team House in Izegem, Belgium from Dec. 18 to Jan. 4.

With the American ‘cross season culminating at the National Championships in December, the six-week hiatus from racing presents a hurdle to Americans looking for strong World Championship performances at the end of January. For this reason, USA Cycling sent riders to the Euro Cross Camp, where they can hold their form and continue training until the UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships in Tabor, Czech Republic, Jan. 30-31.

“Our hope is that by using this camp as a way to acclimate to the rigors of racing cyclo-cross in Europe, where the U23 and junior fields are deeper and many of the courses more challenging, these riders will arrive at Worlds better equipped to produce a podium result,” explained USA Cycling’s National Mountain Bike and Cyclo-cross Development Director Marc Gullickson.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'm slowly starting to get into CX; Not racing it, but riding my cx bike enough to start browsing forums. Since I know how accurate the stuff I read on here is, what I'm repeating should be taken with a grain of salt since its just regurgitated from what I've read on other forums.

It seems like cx has the opposite problem that dh does. There are many more races where UCI points can be obtained, and they aren't widely spread out across the country. CX racers can compete for UCI points in their own region without chasing a few select races across the country. This would suggest the cream of the crop from each region aren't always competing against one another to produce the best racers. One thing that seems to be in common agreeance, and where similarities can be made with dh, is that racing in Europe is significantly different than in the US. Both in course description and athlete conditioning. Aside from a select few who have fully adopted a different lifestyle to compete in CX, US atheletes as a whole aren't really doing so hot in the big show regardless of how many we send.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
FWIW

COSTS
1.Riders must cover their airfare to/fro Brussels, Belgium. The end of December is high season, so begin to look at options early.
2.Each full day at EuroCrossCamp is $125 including Arrival Day. Departure day is $75. This fee covers everything the rider will need: airport pick up/drop, all transportation to races etc., room/shower/linen, food, race food, mechanic support, massage, and arranging start money. The only costs not covered above: airline freight fees for bikes to/fro; junior Belgian race licenses (approx 20 euro); various race entry fees (usually around 8 euro; 5 euro back when race number returned), any phone charges incurred while at the House, and spending money for the odd trip to the grocery store or to buy something from the Sven Nys clothing line.
3.Fees should be paid in full prior to departure (by U.S. bank check made payable to “GP Velo Mondial LLC”). Bring the check to US National Championships meeting in Bend, OR or mail directly to the Director.
4.Riders should discuss with sponsors about how to handle whatever start money the rider receives. Riders should be up front and transparent with sponsors, clubs, and financial backers. Often a rider can curtail their expenses considerably via the start money they receive. Hence, an open dialogue with financial supporters is important.
5.EuroCrossCamp understands the financial burden to the riders and sponsors for both the Camp and the possibility of returning for Worlds a month later. It is crucial to analyze objectives and ways to finance the rider’s goals. Once source is the USA Cycling Development Foundation grants. Another option is to fundraise in the rider’s community and through the rider’s club and team. Also, one thing to keep in mind, the cost of attending EuroCrossCamp is still probably less than racing and traveling around the US to a commensurate number of races.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's funny you posted this in the DH forum.

One my friends was the Marathon representative at Worlds. All he got from USACycling was a letter saying "you're on your own", and I don't think the letter was as nice as I described.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
That's funny you posted this in the DH forum.

One my friends was the Marathon representative at Worlds. All he got from USACycling was a letter saying "you're on your own", and I don't think the letter was as nice as I described.
With all due respect to your friend. UCI Marathon world championships has to be one of the most poorly thought out and poorly executed ideas ever....

4 hours of gravel roads is a Marathon.......?......

Could be a great event if was like a 12 hour epic race, but it's not.....it should die and be reincarnated....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
With all due respect to your friend. UCI Marathon world championships has to be one of the most poorly thought out and poorly executed ideas ever....

Could be a great event if was like a 12 hour epic race, but it's not.....it should die and be reincarnated....
Have you ever been to a typical maraton? Dunno about the us but typical 1 day euro marathons are in the 100-200km (or even 150) so doing them in 12 hours would be kinda funny. The gravel road is kinda stupid but the time is not.

BTW. Don't really complain about usa cycling, polish equivalent forgot to notice uci they are sending a junior racer and he found out when he was trying to check in at the race venue. He paid for the trip and ended not racing. No cash support seems normal here.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Have you ever been to a typical maraton? Dunno about the us but typical 1 day euro marathons are in the 100-200km (or even 150) so doing them in 12 hours would be kinda funny. The gravel road is kinda stupid but the time is not..
UCI marathon is about 5 hours...not really a marathon. More of a long xc race...

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
BTW. Don't really complain about usa cycling, polish equivalent forgot to notice uci they are sending a junior racer and he found out when he was trying to check in at the race venue. He paid for the trip and ended not racing. No cash support seems normal here.
WOW that totally SUCKS. SHAME:(

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

As opposed to riding a muddy one mile track with running sections?

Hey my friend has done Ruta, a stage race in India, and came in top ten in the Downieville Classic on a hardtail.

I think the Marathon should be improved, but that doesn't mean my friend didn't deserve any support from his federation.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I think the Marathon should be improved, but that doesn't mean my friend didn't deserve any support from his federation.
The event doesn't do justice to marathon MTB. Could be a great event but it is just another UCI dud....

USA Cycling has to prioritize their budget at some point. I don't think they are rolling in dough. I could be wrong but that is not the impression i get.......

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
UCI marathon is about 5 hours...not really a marathon. More of a long xc race...
It still requires different skillset than typical xc race That is what? 5times as short? It'd be hard to convince any sport organisation to have a sport where a single comp takes more than 5h.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
It still requires different skillset than typical xc race That is what? 5times as short? It'd be hard to convince any sport organisation to have a sport where a single comp takes more than 5h.
Course should be technical and arduous. Make it a lap race if that is the only way........4 hours of gravel road is a disservice to MTB. Yes, it should require different skillset and highlight a different type of fitness and preparedness.

Olympic xc race is around 2 hours.....

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
So i'm going through the USA cycling rulebook right now. some pretty interesting things are catching my eyes....

1M1. (a) Dimensions. Bicycles may be no more than 2 meters long and 75 cm wide, except that tandems may be up to 3 meters long
So my uncut 80 cm gravity lites (and most DH bars nowadays) are not allowed.

(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used.
Hummmmm.......Trek?

1N5 (a) The rider and the uniform must be clean at the beginning of a race. uniforms may be any color but helmets,shoes, or clothes that are torn, or in disrepair may not be used
I can't have a tear in my jersery? seriously?

(d) Club jerseys. in competition, no rider shall wear the emblem, inscription, or uniform of any club or team which the rider is not eligible to represent.
So all you fan boys better send back those monster energy jerserys!

The more I read into USA cycling, the more I wish we didn't have to support it. I really want to know what happens to my 150 dollar license fee...

-KT