Quantcast

V-brakes or discs?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Besides the fact of which one is cheaper, which one do most of you guys use on your dj/urban rigs? I'm probably going to go with v-brakes because I'm poor :D, but I dont know if I should get disc wheelsets or go cheap with the v-brake hubs. Is the upgade to disc worth it? (yes I've ridden discs before and have htem on my dh bike). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
tony

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
I ride a lot of street and park, and I have dual discs. If you're grinding a lot, definitely think about Vs, even if your grinding on your driveside (that way you can learn to grind both sides). I use dual discs because i also make frequent trips up the mountain, and down steep rockfaces.

Basically, my advice is use the Vs, buy the disc wheelset, and if you don't like the Vs you can switch.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Disc front and vbrake rear is my personal favorite setup. With a disc in the front, you can run either 26" or 24", not to mention some of the newer forks are only disc brake compatible, so it would be a good investment. You don't need anything fancy like hydros, just something like the Avid mechs. As for the rear, I go exclusively with a vbrake. I just like the feel of it, so it's mostly a personal preference.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Why no front brake? That means no front manuals, nosepicks, trials moves, etc. The bar spin an issue? Easily remidied with a hollow starnut and running the cable through the steerer. Although it saves weight, I see more benefits of running a front brake than not. But if you REALLY want to be 'hardcore' and ride 'da true street yo' go brakeless and be like an Edwin de la Rosa wannabe.:D

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by Msisle Dad
front manuals? balance my friend, nosepicks? thats what your foot is for, and i dont ride trials.

Morgan
You can't do front manuals without a front brake. Balance has little to do with front manuals because it's mostly brake modulation. And nosepicks/stalls with a foot is reserved for bmx flatland riders, we're talking about mtb.

B

bigjumper820

It's very possible to do nose manuals without a front brake...

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
why cant you do manuals without a front brake? is there a rule stating that? its called balance and many people use their balance to do nose manuals without a front brake. Also, why are footjams reserved for flatland bmxers? im pretty sure that you would piss off many street and ramp riders if you told them that what they were doing is only reserved for flatland, and if a bmxer can do it, then whats to say that a mtber cant do it? personally i can and have done footjams on my mtb and no one told me that i wasnt supposed to be doing that because of the bike i was on or the style of riding i was doing. Im not trying to rag on you but you need to be much more open minded and think about things that you say because you obviously dont know too much about this.

Morgan