Quantcast

Va & Surrounding Area Photo Thread!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
man that terrain looks great, I wondered what had happened to the photo thread, I figured it was deleted due to taken up too much space.... I'm a riding pic junky, I dig seeing everyone else's riding spots. Rolling up on a new season, might have to re-sticky it.....

.....SNIP.....

Mattoid

I unstuck it because there were just WAY too many stickies there already....Any suggestions are surely welcomed.

Love the pics! BTW!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
here are some vid clips from sunday on a local trail (Carvins Cove, trail: Hi De Ho)

SomeFear

Chimp
Nov 17, 2004
Northern VA ..

My Son getting more comfortable on the ramp.
I'm happy just keeping the rubber side down.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Some you tube clips from yesterdays ride at O-Hill. The goofy guy on the blue Salsa is myself, my buddy Tom is on the orange Salsa.....Cha! Cha! Cha!

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Post when you plan on doing O-hill again ,I've not been out there in about 4-5 years, and would like to do it again, with someone that knows it better then me.

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
yeah my wife rides too, just not my kinda stuff...lol she loves watching me ride. That particular day we hiked a bike up a ways to the fun stuff. I find it easier to photograph riding shots after coordinating where and how...key is shutter speed and explaining how you want the shot for example; launch, mid air...ect ect teamwork too (she elbowing me right now because I was making it seem I knew it all-photography that is).

mcanull

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Roanoke,VA
ha ha, very cool. my wifes the same way, likes to ride the XC stuff. Allthough I have occasionally tricked her into some fun trails. Yeah I can see how setting up for a shot would provide better results.... ours have mostly been spur of the moment snap shots.

yeah my wife rides too, just not my kinda stuff...lol she loves watching me ride. That particular day we hiked a bike up a ways to the fun stuff. I find it easier to photograph riding shots after coordinating where and how...key is shutter speed and explaining how you want the shot for example; launch, mid air...ect ect teamwork too (she elbowing me right now because I was making it seem I knew it all-photography that is).

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
We'll be riding O-Hill this Monday meeting up at 5:30. This is actually a bi-weekly ride. I'll put up a post in the main forum so more people see it.

Oh, and Travis. That pic from the blue loop is great! Doesn't even show how crazy steep that trail can get though. Definitely a fun run!

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
Thanks Rich...we'll be heading out there again soon to do more pictures...Ive got a small camcorder now so I'll be shooting some video as well. And hopefully get a better angle on how crazy that trail can get.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Thanks Rich...we'll be heading out there again soon to do more pictures...Ive got a small camcorder now so I'll be shooting some video as well. And hopefully get a better angle on how crazy that trail can get.
That brings up a good point. I've been looking to shoot some video in the area and need a good partner to do so with. We should team up and do a little film on the sherando/big levels area. We could certainly cover the two extremes... DH bike vs. full rigid xc bike...lol!

I'm all for it. We would have to make a day of it almost, or split it up over a couple days to keep our respective old ladies happy :)

If it works out well, we could always do another later in the season in the stokesville area.

PS- do you have any video editing capability?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Getting back into the swing of things...

been doing some trail riding...

warning only riding shot... from about 2 weeks ago when things were dusty..

Found some new stuff at the Cove, we just got trail signs! I've been riding out there for around 10 years now and it's kinda cool to see, but at the same time it also shows how much more populated the area is now... so it's also a sign of possible crowded trails to come.... :hmm: :think:

I'm not sure who sets the bar for the ratings of the signs but there isn't a trail at the cove in my opinion that deserves a double black diamond rating... someone needs to set some sort of trail rating standards...

Found this on a tree on the way up the mtn, says "Dial 2662 After dialing you will summit in 15 min's where you will be airlifted away" :crazy: The phone was pretty high off the ground, I'm honestly not sure how they got it up there without a ladder or standing on someones shoulders which would be pretty tricky on a steep shale bank.. about 20 min's into the climb..

Tracks from critters and another one that I didn't know we had around here, I knew we had lizards but would not have expected it to be this bright/tropical looking.

multiple coyote prints and a bobcat print

I just assumed they'd be green or brown...

yesterday was crazy foggy on top of the mtn, it was a nice break from the 90's though.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
LOL, I suppose Gauntlet is the <><> when compared to other COVE trails.

Nice signs, but I kinda liked the stealth mode they had going prior.

And yeah, WTF is up with that phone?

May 22, 2006
waynsesboro va.
Castle-those are some sweet pictures...I agree with Rich though what the hell is up with the phone??? Anyways-Rich that would be cool. Do you have any Fridays off that it could be possible- I think Friday's would be the best due to our women working and my son would be at the sitter and that way we could make it an all day thing. Try to plan for it if possible if not Sat or Sun will be no problem either, just that Ill be availble after 12:30pm Sundays though. I do have some editing software as well-Im heading out today to try filming in wide screen and playing with angle adjustment-It would be cool if it was a little foggy up there for the added effect. Should be a good ride none the less.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I'm not really sure what's up with the phone.... someone spent some time to do it though...

you guys should check out the private message function, it's pretty cool :banana: :monkeydance: :cheers:

Can't wait to see the vid though... I'd be into filming/riding if you guys wanted to head a lil south to hit up some different locations... I need to get up there to ride sometime also...

here's a old skool pic to keep the pic thread rollin, Dec. '04

R.I.P. to this trail, it was good fun back in the day...

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
Found this on a tree on the way up the mtn, says "Dial 2662 After dialing you will summit in 15 min's where you will be airlifted away" :crazy: The phone was pretty high off the ground, I'm honestly not sure how they got it up there without a ladder or standing on someones shoulders which would be pretty tricky on a steep shale bank.. about 20 min's into the climb..

Well did you dial it?

tom put that up a few weeks ago, we had just joked about it a month ago, and he went a did it. he stood on his bike to get it up there. dono what the note's about, i think just randomness.

the signs are cool and all, but i hope it doesn't lead to overcrowding. got a little while until that comes: the map hasn't caught up yet. I guess relative to all the other trails, the gauntlet is the hardest, and if they used normal ratings, it wouldn't be to useful since they're all greens and blues. what i don't get is what was wrong with the names?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Out training for the SM100. Starting down the nice descent that is Dowell's draft.

Some more pic's of the nice surrounds we are blessed with here....