Quantcast

Vail/Beaver Creek this summer

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Hey Colorado people... I'll be visiting family out in the Vail/BC area later this summer. Just wondering what the riding scene was like at Vail. I was there a few years ago and they they had some pretty cool "pirate" trails that kinda went outside the park, but then the next year they seemed to be shut down. Anyway I haven't been out there in awhile, any good downhill stuff in their bike park or anything in the works for this summer? What about Beaver Creek... it's even closer to where I'll be staying. Is it worth checking out?

Also... I'd love to find some dirt jumps in the area. Is there anything around? Should I even bother bringing my slalom bike?

Any info would be appreciated.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Ah yes... Vail, BC and the general DH scene in Colorado. You will find that most everyone will be very tight-lipped about many things DH, as we have had much of our beloved trails yanked, closed, developed, bulldozed, and who knows what else. That being said, there are definitely some fun, mapped, and fully legal DH trails to ride at Cail and Keystone, but Beaver Creek is not allowing DH bikes at all.

For dirtjumping in the Summit County area, check out Wildernest. Super fun, in the trees, and good to go. Check with a local bike shop for directions eh?

When are you planning on being here and what is your mobility situation? There are a TON of good races that are going on all summer. Check http://www.handlebarandgrill.com/htm/comp/schedule.htm for more info on that if you're into it.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Cool... thanks for the info about the races. I'd definately be into that. I'll also have to check out Keystone. (Where's this "cali" place?) Too bad BC is a no go... I remember they used to have a pretty cool trail ("stickline" or something like that). So would you say it's worth going to Vail? I don't suppose you can ride the world cup course can you? (not the '94 one but the more recent '01 or '02 course)

I can totally understand that people are pretty hush-hush about downhill trails, but is there anything else in the vail valley area? (a simple yes or no will do... just so I know whether to bother with exploring and asking around once I get there)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
911 said:
Cool... thanks for the info about the races. I'd definately be into that.
No problem... this past weekend we had Aussies GALORE at the Mountain States Cup in Angel Fire, NM... it was like going to a damn World Cup event I tell you what.
911 said:
I'll also have to check out Keystone. (Where's this "cali" place?) Too bad BC is a no go... I remember they used to have a pretty cool trail ("stickline" or something like that). So would you say it's worth going to Vail? I don't suppose you can ride the world cup course can you? (not the '94 one but the more recent '01 or '02 course)
Keystone is fun. "Cail" is what I accidentally typed instead of "Vail"... sorry about that. And yeah, Stickline was RAD, but BC is no mas. And to sum up, the Worlds course from a couple of years ago has been compeltely revegetated, and is not ridable. The '94 course does still exsist.
911 said:
I can totally understand that people are pretty hush-hush about downhill trails, but is there anything else in the vail valley area? (a simple yes or no will do... just so I know whether to bother with exploring and asking around once I get there)
I haven't been up in the Vail Valley for a loooong time... not sure what the status of "other" trails (legal or not) is at this time.

anarchyUK

Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Boulder CO
911 said:
yes
inead10charcers

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Vail is awesome. Magic Forest has been update and is faster and has more jumps.

The '94 world cup course is still around and is looser and dustier/rockier than last year.

A new trail called Old Nine has been added. I am not sure how to ride the entrance. It starts with a right to left switchback across a really steep, loose slope. Then it changes directions. I don't know how to stay up on this part. Overall, the beginning of the trail is very challenging and steep. After the first section, the trail moves into the woods and is similar to the '94 world cup course (tight singletrack) except that old nine has some unexpected wooden elements. The trail ends with a fast section with some rolling jumps. Its great that another trail has been added.