Quantcast

val di frickin sole, mofos!!!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
It wasn't looking good even IF his tire had stayed on- he was down a couple seconds and was obviously off line since he had to take his foot off. :(

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
The Vital recap has Gwin explaining it in an interview. Sounds like he smacked a big rock early in the run, the tire lost pressure. Then what we saw on the broadcast was it exploding from trying to escape another giant rock in the middle of his line.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
The Vital recap has Gwin explaining it in an interview. Sounds like he smacked a big rock early in the run, the tire lost pressure. Then what we saw on the broadcast was it exploding from trying to escape another giant rock in the middle of his line.
so 1.5 down at the first split after losing tire pressure 30-40 sec into his run? not bad...

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
at that point no, but if his wheel hadn't exploded he would have continued to lose time the whole way down the track.
of course - but to be closer to hart's split than anyone else, with a tire issue, is pretty cool. did he lose 1.5 due to the tire? who knows, but i'm filing this in the 'what if...' folder because speculation.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It wasn't looking good even IF his tire had stayed on- he was down a couple seconds and was obviously off line since he had to take his foot off. :(
it seemed pretty much everyone was struggling before that first split though and a lot of the top guys were making it up towards the bottom.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
seems like you are quite good at that too
I am enjoying the hate I am getting from my comments. The Rachel comment was more of a joke. Gee on the other hand is douche. Take a look back at podiums in the past. He is the only one without a smile on his face unless he won.

Back to the race, it was great. I wanted to see Gwin come home with a win but Danny's 4 wins in a row is cool. If Greenland would have won that would have been pretty awesome as well.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm fairly sure my time would be at least 3x hers, this just looks punishing.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If I had to guess, I'd say those pull link thingys on that commencal failed:
image.jpeg

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Part of me wanted to suggest the UCI should not have selected VDS of all places for the World Champs venue because you're going to have a lot of "less talented" riders participating due to the inclusive international format. But it seems like most of their crashes were relatively mild compared to what happened to WC regulars like EJ, Manon, and Jorba (the finish line OTB yard sale being a notable exception), which I chalk up to them not riding at Mach WTF and/or hucking that big step down. Anyway, I'm super glad no one seems to be terribly mangled and that Matti Lehikoinen wasn't racing :fie:

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oh noes, I've been called out for going Full-Enduro :o

Well maybe next year they can integrate Chinese zoo tigers and real chainsaws into the race format so we can see some real carnage. Anything goes at Worid Champs bishes!!:butcher:
Cairns has it in 2017... Our quarantine laws prevent imported tigers but we can get some wombats and rile them up a bit for you.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don't remember so many red flags in a single race before. It was kinda tough to watch, and you could hear that reflected in the commentary.

VDS is a good track, but obviously above the level of Top 5 In Your Nation or whatever the requirements are to be at Champs. Maybe the requirement should be Top 5 In Your Nation as well as made a Top50 in 1 world cup that year.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Cairns has it in 2017... Our quarantine laws prevent imported tigers but we can get some wombats and rile them up a bit for you.
Wait, wait, wait...Oz actually has laws that *prevent* dangerous animals from being imported? Is that to protect non-native predators like tigers from being killed by the flying venomous octopuses?

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did Warner get yanked mid-broadcast because he was critical of the timing partner?
I only watched the replay, but he was there the entire time?

Another reason why I only watch the replays, so that I don't end up tossing beer/bongs at the wall at 3am when something craps out on the feed. :busted:

As for lesser skilled people riding it and crashing. Yeah perhaps this track is extreme, the video from Rachel really shows this. The trail just never ends. But, anyone who hucks themselves down the course after doing a course walk and practices, should know completely in advance of the race if they should bow out or not.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Come to think of it. One of the best moments of the live broadcast was not hearing Claudio. It was like his mic was out. And it was either quiet or Warner was talking. That was nice while it lasted...My wife hates the sound of his voice. And I never really noticed it until I didn't hear it for a bit. Sorry Claudio.