Quantcast

Vallnord - Andorra WC thread 2017...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
NIce result for Wallace, too.

The top 4-6 are in a different strata in each race this season. Like a few seconds gap after those riders to the rest of the field.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Best race so far!

That track looks so fun. I would love to ride there.
Really happy for Brosnan. He deserves it, that's for sure.
And what a run from Minnaar. He looks better then ever on the bike. Seems like the bigger his bike gets, the looser he rides it.:D

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Sick race.

As others have said, I can't see this round as the end of the wheel size debate (as much as I would love it to be so...). Perhaps a "wheels for courses" argument will morph into a "wheels for rider heights" line of logic. Minnaar looked on point whole way down.

Edit: Moir was pretty fast too

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Pretty unbelievable that on a trail with so many different lines, points where the riding gets wild and out of control, that Gwin, Bruni, and Hart were within .15s of each other. Makes Minnaar and Tbro look even more amazing.

The last two races have been amazing to watch after a little bit of a bummer of a first race.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
watched up to Gwin this morning, went to Keystone, came home and watched the last 5.
Such a good looking track. Nice run by Troy, you can't cut it much closer than that!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yup, that was a good race. Given how loose Hart was, I didn't think the others could top him. But they kept coming. Very impressive.

I like minaar and his resilience, but a little part of me is happy he keeps coming in second, despite the wheel size "advantage".

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Proper race that often left me with my hands on my head and in disbelief at how ludicrously fast they were railing a track that looked scarily steep even on TV. Props to the production team for capturing a lot of that insanity on what is certainly not a track that lends itself to filming.

Did anybody else get really tired of Claudio relentlessly pushing his bs theory that "steep track > allows more mistakes > thus riders must appear loose and out of control to be fast" even when it was completely invalidated by Loic Bruni, who seemed to be riding a Formula One track?

I was very impressed with young Alex Marin and Gaetan Vige, two for the future for sure. And while this is probably more an issue of setup and riding style than the suspension system, i found it quite noticeable how much less rear wheel traction Connor Fearon had than many other riders.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
amazing the difference between bruni and hart. one looked to barely keep it in check, the other didn't look loose at all. also interesting was that the top 5 gained more time at the bottom of the track compared to the top vs. hart's run. he must have gone wfo from the start and started to gas towards the lower half, or his mistakes caught up with him at least. psyched to see troy at the top, it's his time to shine.

also brendog broke the top 30, woo!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
he must have gone wfo from the start and started to gas towards the lower half, or his mistakes caught up with him at least.
He lost *a lot* of time in the segment before the last one. One huge mistake possibly? Too bad the commentators didn't spend any time on that topic, they were too preoccupied with the effing wheel size again. :mad:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Looking at what hes done over the years, i think hes the most underrated rider ever.
Totally agree. It's weird to think that a regular top-3 rider would ever be considered underrated, but here we are. I've been a fan of his for a long time, back when he was battling Gee and Aaron for the overall title. I guess there's a part of me that's happy that the wheel size isn't helping him out...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Jack Moir was looking great until his crash. Reminds me of Minnaar a bit to watch him ride.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Canyon must have had one hell of a party. First year racing and already a win. And what win it was, with all the top guys bringing their A-game.

Barel's influence starts to shine rather quickly.
Brosnan said, that he never even tested that much on Specialized. Now on Canyon he probably tested more in one off season then in all these years before.
It's also interesting to see that he looks now more composed then ever. I feel like he is now on a way superior setup then he was in past years. Less pin-balling, more ground hucking.

spes

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
That was a great race! Great that Troy won. Brunis run looked amazing, so smooth! It looks like he has his suspension dialed. Quite good ad for Öhlins suspension.

It surely looked that Fearon had poor traction in rear compared to others, but his cornering looked faster.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Short chainstays.
No! Years of Specialized marketing have taught me that unlike climate change, brake jack is real and will kill you.

I really want to see Fearon win a world cup, he used to podium regularly but hasn't really been able to put a clean run together lately. He can certainly be just as entertaining as Danny Hart.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Damn, nobody's riding is more fun to watch than Hart when he's in full kill attack mode! That was a miraculous run if ever there was one.

Canyon must have had one hell of a party. First year racing and already a win. And what win it was, with all the top guys bringing their A-game.

Barel's influence starts to shine rather quickly.
Brosnan said, that he never even tested that much on Specialized. Now on Canyon he probably tested more in one off season then in all these years before.
It's also interesting to see that he looks now more composed then ever. I feel like he is now on a way superior setup then he was in past years. Less pin-balling, more ground hucking.
I always got the idea that SpecialEd didn't actually want him. Like they meant to send the contract to somebody else, but the secretary fucked up, and to save face they just said screw it, I guess we have Troy now. Very black-sheepish vibe. Admittedly, you're always going to be second fiddle to Gwinn, but he always seemed like he was a distant 3rd or 4th fiddle, even when he was putting in stellar results.

Stoked to see him in the mix, and on the top step. Now if Hart can get a win in this year and keep the trend of different winner at every race going.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Bruni looked like he was on a hoverbike. So smoove. Also looked like he was riding a size smaller frame.
Wonder if he suspension was also really well setup? I kept thinking about how his bike rode compared to how much Connor Fearons Kona.

Anyway such a good race to watch. I was happy the family was sleeping with jetlag so I had full focus to watch it. Still can't wait to get a big TV again.