Quantcast

Valparaiso Cerro Abajo 2010: The Streets of Chile

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Racing in cities has become exponentially more popular in the last few years. This year the phenomenon approached new levels of insanity in South America.
---

Words and Photos by Fraser Britton

Valparaiso Cerro Abajo 2010
Valparaiso, Chile

Normally the winter months in the northern hemisphere are a fairly calm period for professional mountain bike racers. Most head home to relax, ride dirt jumps and spend a bit of time off the bike before gearing up for next year. In recent years however, a new trend is emerging, the urban DH race. Race organizers south of the equator have figured out that many riders are itching for a chance to compete and stay sharp, as well as bring in a bit of extra prize money, if possible. It is also a proving ground for many downhillers looking to earn themselves some UCI points in order to compete in the early season World Cup races.

The Valparaiso Cerro Abajo, in Valparaiso, Chile is one of these events. On it’s 8th year, it is catching on with international riders who have flocked south with thoughts of warm weather, beaches and autograph signing.

This year’s VCA race featured Filip Polc (SVK), Andrew Neethling (RSA), Andreu Lacondeguey (ESP), Chris Van Dine (USA) and many more. Polc is on a tear lately, winning 4 of these urban races in a row in Brazil, Columbia and now, Chile. He has been eager to escape the winters in his native Slovakia and has apparently found a new talent riding stairs!

“You could have 2 seasons, a winter and summer. An urban race season int he winter, and a normal World Cup season in the summer,” commented Polc. CVD agrees “there’s a lot of World Cup guys that would pin it down here.”

This year’s VCA course was similar to the last 2, and started high above one of the cities 28 hills (Cerro Carcel) and wins it’s way down a few thousand stairs, over retaining walls, across man made jumps and landings and finally into the center of the city through a flower shop’s second story greenhouse window.

The jumps were made bigger this year and required a bit more finesse, a fact learned by more than a few riders who came up short and wound up having to pick themselves up off of the cobblestones. When one of the world’s best freeriders, Andreu Lacondeguy, started to comment on how insane the course was, and how sketched out he was, many racers started to wonder what they had gotten themselves into.

“This is the craziest track I have ever seen, It’s so sketchy and it’s so insane. It’s going to be crazy on Sunday” the Spaniard commented before practice.

The women’s event was especially difficult after Canadian Micayla Gatto came up short on a very large stepdown gap, and the other 2 women decided that they didn’t want to attempt it an hour before the race. The UCI made an exception and required them both to go off course at the top and WALK their bikes around it ( a good 30 seconds), and then resume racing. Eventual winner Luana Olivera decided the risk was worth it for the win, and cleaned it easily in her race run, as well as a very large gap half way down the course that many men refused to attempt.

This gap was put in as an option to a slow wall ride to flat corner switchback, and had been contentious all week as riders debated the angle, the size and the takeoff. Many were not happy with the construction, but eventually someone guinea pigged it in late Sunday practice after a few changes were made, and the takeoff removed, and all was well as riders sent themselves off a 20 ft high stone wall to the cobble stones and steel and wood landing below. A couple of riders came up short, including one who landed to the deck and completely obliterated the transition as hundreds of fans looked on. Broken welds, shattered plywood and one bruised ego were quickly repaired and the race went on.

For the men, it was Polc who blew away the field by almost 6 seconds, and holding onto his crown as current urban downhill king. Local rider Enrique Genova took second and Columbian Mario Jarrin was 3rd. Andrew Neethling crashed out in qualifying after clipping his bars on a lamp post and being sent down a flight of stairs face first. After a brief trip to the hospital for stitches in his hand, Needles was back to watch the end of the race.

“It would be good if it wasn’t right near a World Cup season and I’m glad I got away unscathed but it was a cool experience, that’s why we all came I guess. It’s good for the sport for sure and it will grow it...they just need to make things a bit safer because at speed it can go wrong, it can just be bad.”

With over 10 000 spectators in attendance, a large South American city shut down and live TV and radio, it was an experience for all involved, and most have vowed to return next year and battle for the title of VCA Champion, 2011.

Attachments

gizmo

Chimp
Nov 9, 2003
Theres one at vitalmtb.com
or make a youtube or vimeo search for vca 2010 its crouded with videos
cheers

pillete

Monkey
Mar 25, 2005
Great coverage, however there is a couple of mistakes on it.

Mario Jarrin who took 3rd place, is not Colombian, he is is Ecuadorian.

another one was that the country is called Colombia, not Columbia.

People often mistake it with the province of Columbia in Canada.

jbloggs

Chimp
Mar 1, 2010
Here is the video on embed:

<object height="360" width="640"><param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/><param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/><param value="http://www.vitalmtb.com/vplayer/1634%2Emp4" name="movie"/><param value="xml_path=http://www.vitalmtb.com/vdata/4ce1dfbf4e84c6f11f5771b6ffde500a?embed=true" name="flashvars"/><param value="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="type"/><embed src="http://www.vitalmtb.com/vplayer/1634%2Emp4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640" flashvars="xml_path=http://www.vitalmtb.com/vdata/4ce1dfbf4e84c6f11f5771b6ffde500a?embed=true"></embed></object></p>

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Great coverage, however there is a couple of mistakes on it.

Mario Jarrin who took 3rd place, is not Colombian, he is is Ecuadorian.

another one was that the country is called Colombia, not Columbia.

People often mistake it with the province of Columbia in Canada.
Typo is my fault. Country, I'm just going off of the results sheet! Will change. Thanks.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
my god, it's just so sketchy! ha ha this is unbelievable, i think we should bring it to the states. It's only a 2.5 minute course but holy hell it looks like a destroyer of worlds.
and necks.